Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 October 2000
This new album by the Beautiful South has some excellent new tracks which will please fans of the Beautiful South and newcomers who have not heard them yet.The tracks are all high quality and have nice rhytmic tones and a great sound. This is a must own cd!
on 22 January 2013
Melancholy I soon have enough of. - But the quality of their performance is OK. You might say that the music and song on this recording is unclear. - I presume that this is a recording issue.
on 15 March 2001
I found this album in the duty free section at Heathrow, and spent the whole seven hour flight listening to this album again and again and again. Two reasons. Firstly, each track needs at least two or three listenings before you can realise just how wonderful they are, and secondly, once you do realise, you are hooked on them and just can't stop listening. As usual, we have the wonderful lyrics form Paul, and the wonderful melodies from David R, and the fabulous vocals of the three. The best tracks are Til you can't tuck it in, You can call me leisure, and The Mediterranean. The only tracks I skip are Masculine Eclipse, The River, and Chicken Wings. Here is what I think of each track:-
Who's gonna tell - 9/10 Closer than Most 10/10 Just Checking 9/10 Hit Parade 8/10 Masculine Eclipse 5-10 Till you can't tuck it in 10/10 If we crawl 9/10 Tupperware Queen 9/10 Half Hearted Get 9/10 White Teeth 9/10 (L.E. Only) River 4/10 Baby Please Go 9/10 Call me Leisure 10/10 Final Spark 10/10 10000 Feet 9/10 Hot on the Heels 9/10 Mediterranean 10/10 Little Piece of Advice 10/10 Property Quiz 10/10 Chicken Wings 5/10 (Dissapointing end to the album)
on 27 February 2014
Ok - some are nicer than others and nice to cheer you on a slow day without shaking the ear drums too much
on 30 January 2001
TBS have been around for the best part of twelve years, have had major success with past albums and a greatest hits compilation purported to be owned by one out of seven households in the UK. So, what's new with "Painting It Red"? Frankly everything and with not a dud track in sight! What is incredible is the range of musical styles that are fully expoited in the album - pop, jazz, folk, funk - you name it, it's there but wrapped into the atypical TBS blend of cryptic lyrics and superb harmonies. Tracks that stand out as sublime include; Masceline Eclipse, The Mediterranean, Call Me Leisure and the under-rated Property Quiz. A great shame that Jacqui left shortly after it's release, which contributed to poorer sales I'm sure but certainly a classic album from probably the best UK band around. Keep it up guys!
on 13 October 2000
I love The Beautiful South. They are my favourite band...ever and so I rushed to get this new release.
On first listen, I hated it! I was building it up to the level of Quench and Miaow, but after three listens, I can't get the songs out of my head!
All the songs are masterpieces, could Heaton write a bad song? Well! Yes! It's called "The River", but the other 18 are absolute gems. Personal favourites at the minute are "Who's Gonna Tell?" and "Half Hearted Get" but "Liar's Bar"esque big shout for "Hit Parade" and Rotherhay's genius (so often understated due to the unparalleled wit and talent of Birkenhead's favourite Blade)shines through on "'Til You Can't Tuck It In".
Buy it...prepare to be non-plussed...listen again...be DAZZLED!
on 6 November 2000
I bought it, I listened to it - and quite frankly I just didn't know what to think of it.
This album was welcomed with a mixed reaction from the press and I found it difficult to come to a decision as to whether or not I liked it.
Then I found myself walking around the office singing Just Checkin'. Damn I can't get this somg outta my head.
I listened again and found many masterpieces - 'Til You Can't Tuck It In (the big brother of Quench's Perfect 10), White Teeth (are uglier than yellow teeth Eh?)(Limited Edition Only), Baby Please Go and You Can Call Me Leisure - all classic pop (Just Checkin' just MUST be a single!!)
There are a few average tracks (hence the four stars) but hey - Who's Gonna Tell?
on 4 October 2000
I have to agree with Wedgie. The South have moved on yet again! Not innovative, but there is a definite progression throughout all the band's 7 albums. Excellent lyrics; witty, warm and mature. Personal highlights are Hit Parade, Masculine Eclipse, Tupperware Queen, The River, Hot On The Heels of Heartbreak and Property Quiz. Don't be put off by the performance of Closer Than Most.
A definite "must have" for fans and lovers of good, solid pop who love lyrics that need a bit of thinking about!
on 22 June 2016
Just trying to ensure I had all the albums!
on 21 March 2015
Very good thanks and very fast delivery