Customer reviews

Master of the Universe
Format: Audio CD|Change
Price:£116.95+ £1.26 shipping

on 10 February 2013
I only recently discovered this album at the beginning of last year (2012).

It is an absolute classic. To say that its lack of commercial success is a crime is an absolute undersstatement.

I have listened to hip-hop for over twenty years and have become throughly disappointed by the majority of the drivel that comes out of the States these days.

Even for the price I cannot recommend this album highly enough. Stand out tracks for me are 'Slang Blade' and both versions of 'I Know why the Caged Bird Sings'.

Classic.
on 2 September 2001
Masters of the Universe it quite simply the most incredible album i have heard for a long while. Every song has superbly laced beats and the two emcee's, senim silla and the anonymous produce some of the tighest lyrics i have heard. The album preaches the meaning of real hip hop, and shows their anger at sell out artists. Honest Expression and Indy 500 are shining examples of how Binary Star feel about hip hop. You will find no lies in Masters of the Universe, only real hip hop, phat beats and tight lines. "All we need is beats and rhymes to go and spark it, as long as we got the underground, yo we got a market, i dont need a major to tell me how to run it, cos my goals to win the indy 500"
on 6 August 2008
'Masters of the Universe' is truly the best hip-hop album I have ever heard. The best beats and lyrics from start to finish. This is an album that actively abhors modern mainstream hip-hop (or hip-pop) and it's fascination with guns, cars, violence, women, clothes and money and shows that you dont need to talk about the money you got (oh no!) to make a classic album. The top 40 has a lot to learn from one.be.lo and senim silla.

Buy this album if you like hip-hop and you wont be dissapointed.
on 22 March 2003
Well there are many things that I can say about this album and there all good. First and foremost this is an album that will alone be liked by true hip hop heads, it won't be for your hip hop radio friendly Jay-Z or 50 Cent type fan. Every track is well produced with a jazzy, type soul influnenced feel. Both Senim Silla and One Be Lo maintain a good level of spitting throughout and virtually murdered the mic. They come off with strong metaphors as well as the odd funny lyrics. Albums such as these are sad for me as they deserve alot more recognition as there are alot of tracks and none are the typical album fillers that i'm so used to in this day. The stand out tracks for me are Indy 500 and Honest Expression. Wolf Man Jack is for me a track aimed at alot of rappers and the so called image they look to portray. Anyways this album is a most so buy
on 4 March 2004
This album is the tightest cd i own, Binary Star have been rippin up the underground scene for a while now and all their tracks are hot. The evolution of man with it's nice wordplay and intertwinding lyrics. Glen close describing a femme fatale, Honest expression explaining what real hip-hop is. u need to buy this album and check out Waterworld Too . the second album along wit a collab wit Atmosphere called Beneath The Surface nice tracks. I Suggest this f'real. Only for fans of Real Hip-Hop not no commerical "ho" "gun" "murder" rappin'. Some of the most lyrically enhanced rappers Senim And Anoyomonous (a.k.a one be lo / One Man Army) 5 stars most definetly
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 22 April 2014
This album is absolutely brilliant, and I missed it originally as I fell out of love with Hip-Hop since it all started to go downhill at the end of the 90ies and early 2000's, and the really classic stuff was mostly Underground stuff which I've always liked but difficult in those days to get hold of unless you knew the scene.

Discovered this just now and I absolutely love it, it is right up there with my favourite Albums (Black Moon Enta Da Stage,Mobb Deep infamous, Smiff n Wessun Dah Shining and my favourite stuff from De la and Tribe etc ) in fact I'd go as far as to say that this is one of The Best it is seriously that good.

There are no fillers, just original, brilliantly mixed and rhymed with phat beats and groove - every track.
Every track is as good as the other, Indy 500 is my latest favourite.

Brilliant! I want the LP so I can enjoy it properly!
on 20 December 2004
This is a BRILLIANT album. After two years I am still digging these beats, and the flow is phat. I won't waste any time describing the tracks, get them on bittorrent or something and check out "Indy 500", "Masters of the Universe", "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" and... really.... all the rest, this is a solid album all the way through. Especially if you like jazzy bass or classical beats though, you will love this.
It is an absolute shame that the label doesn't sell this album anymore! The whole point of buying the album, for me at least, would be supporting the artists, which is not easy when all it seems you can get is a used version.
on 6 December 2003
This album represents everything that's right about underground hip-hop. Binary Star is comprised mainly of two MC's - Senim Silla and the constantly morphing madman loosely known as "The Anonymous" who goes by various names such as Mr. Hide, OneBeLo, and more. Like their dope tracks, the next move is completely unpredictable but almost inevitably dope.
For those people who heard Binary Star's last underground album "Waterworld" most of these tracks will already be familiar. The "Binary Shuffle" is amusing both in it's introduction, it's chorus ("Do we talk about the money we got? OHH NO! Talk about the people we shot? OHH NO!") and Silla's playfully braggadocious raps.
"Silla is a dog at this - the rap Cujo
Half of the star-spanglin dynamic duo
You may not know me now but, you will later
My crew bout to blow up - like inflators [..]
Gettin in the mix, don't even know the recipe
You know my aptitude - ain't no need for testin me"
There's lots of good material to salivate over here. The all-star "Fellowship" with D-Compoze and underground Michigan rap crew Athletic Mic League is definitely alladat, as are the also previous released but welcome reinclusions of "New Hip Hop" and the hip-hop stalking anthem "Glen Close." Yup - it's about a gwal who just can't leave Binary Star alone, but you won't be able to leave this track's dope piano loop and slamming beat out of your disc changer either. The title track "Masters of the Universe" though is one of those songs you might have to 'study' - it's dope but moves at such a quick tempo you'll probably have to check it three or four times to get all the rhymes.
My personal favorite track is another re-inclusion from their original "Waterworld" release - the dope duet with D-Compoze called "Indy 500." A scratchy, popping record break recurs throughout with a superb piano loop that makes this track one of the most simultaneously dirty and clean songs since Wu-Tang Clan introduced us to 36 Chambers almost a decade ago.
"All we need is beats and rhymes to go and spark it
As long as we got the underground yo, we got a market
I don't need a major to tell me how to run it
cause my goal's to win the Indy 500"
Superb. When listening to this album, don't forget to check for the linguistic styles of "Slang Blade", the thunderous boom bap of the opening track "Reality Check" and the spooky Halloween-esque themes of "Wolfman Jack." Actually there's not much to NOT check for here, both old and new. The changing beats of the melodic "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" perfectly suits the different verses about the ills of the prison system, the stark and stripped down sound of "Honest Expression" equally appropriate to it's title. Very few albums that come out are as well conceived or prepared as "Masters of the Universe" - which proves exactly why the title of Binary Star's national debut is truly apt.
0Comment|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 26 February 2005
Theres no point in me repeating what everyone has said. I'll just be brief: This album is DOPE.
on 20 December 2004