Learn more Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Worried Blues Fitbit

With the cost of camera lens in the hundreds I thought I better get myself a filter which could double up as a protector should I have an accident. Happy with the filter, once it is screwed on you can forget it is even on. Lens caps clip on to them no problem. As they screw on they can be easily removed again if required. Should I have an accident and drop the camera I'd rather this lens take the impact and crack rather than the lens itself!

Have used this while taking lots of holiday pictures and they've all come out well.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 3 September 2012
Filters nearly always feel 'right', or not, on first handling.

If it screws on neatly, progressively tightening and then stays secure but not when screwed tightly - and then unscrews in exactly the same way, getting easier as it goes, then you've got a good one.

In my opinion (I've been photographing, to some degree, for forty years) spending as much as one can on a well-known brand doesn't necessarily reap the rewards the salespeople will tell you. Essentially, it's just a flat, plain piece of glass that you need but it's how that is kept in place that's more important.

Yes, this a UV filter but that effect is almost nil and so to me it's purely to protect a lens' front element. In my case, a pro-standard Nikkor G 85mm f1.8. Any debate about this filter not being multicoated is offset by the lens' deep hood and being of longer focal length and so won't be affected the same way as a complex zoom or wide-angle would.

Tiffen filters are cheaper than many and I've had a couple on other lenses; all have lasted well and not fallen apart. I would strongly suggest though, that savings made on a UV/Protector filter is put toward a decent polariser - a true filter that will dramatically improve your photos and where getting the best you can afford really does pay dividends.
on 4 January 2015
I'm not terribly impressed by this filter. It's fine, but when it arrived, on taking it out of the little plastic box, I noticed that there were fingerprints on the glass. Not very impressive. Plus the label on the plastic box looked like an A-Level Art & Design project - really poor quality and graphical reproduction. With filters, I generally find that money 'saved' with lesser brands is sometimes wasted. I've found that the higher brand is definitely worth it. In order then, you have Tiffen, Hoyo, and the Rolls Royce of filters, B+W. If you are looking for a cheap filter, I'd suggest Hoyo, or go all out and buy B+W. A good filter, looked after, should last a lifetime.
on 25 May 2016
Good fit and does what it is supposed to do - keeps dust off the lens & will stop the lens getting scratched. Seems optically distortion free and does not affect the amount of light collected by the lens. Am pleased for the price.
on 18 March 2017
I bought it for protection of my lens, and works perfect.
on 19 October 2015
Excellent value for a quality product. Average mount thickness , which is fine for normal/ telephoto (and probably modestly wide angle lenses )
on 4 July 2016
Nice well priced glass UV filter fits well and will be used as a lens protector
on 7 March 2017
Excellent 100%
on 21 April 2016
Addequate and cheap. Hard to say much more than that really.
on 25 August 2015
its a filter does what it should do