on 29 March 2009
Simple as, you can't really go wrong with a Tiffen ND Filter. They are what hollywood chooses for their cameras after all.

My only gripe is that this was slightly thicker by a few mm than my other filters. Not really an issue on a zoom lens, but on my ultrawide, this results in very slight mechanical vignetting occurring. Easily fixed with a spot healing tool though.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 September 2012
Why would anyone ever want to REDUCE the amount light coming into their cameras? With me and for many landscape photographers, it allows much longer shutter speeds to convey a real sense of blur, when the camera is bolted to a tripod.

Say, with a waterfall in dull light and my Nikon D700, which has a lowest iso rating of 200, even with the lens stopped right down to its minimum, you might only reach 1/4 second - any longer and the image burns out. By effectively making that iso 200 an iso of 25 (as in 'old' Kodachrome) you can get a super-silky smooth flow of water at 2 seconds. Doesn't sound much, but makes a lot of difference in actual use.

I use this excellently made Tiffen on my Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 pro lens. In urban landscapes at night, I can get streams of traffic to build up more, creating a more spectacular photo without the streetlamps burning out the image so readily.

Yes, a new one is expensive but its quality means that there are good secondhand ones out there, which is what I bought. The fact that they get rarely used means the condition is likely to be better than filters used everyday, such as UV & Polarisers. It is the only ND I own and which I rarely use but when I need one, I certainly don't wish for anything better.
on 16 May 2011
I own at least 4 other Tiffen ND filters, but at a different thread size to this one. As expected, this 77mm version is as good quality as its smaller brothers. Immaculately clean glass, sturdy feeling and, most importantly, it does its job to aid lowering apeture (f-stop numbers) in addition to giving a shallower depth of field when shooting in bright light situations. It does all this without affecting overall picture colours and i think actually adds something to the shot.This is hard to define but i am thinking along the lines of a more filmic feel(?). I use this ND filter with my 11-16mm Tokina lens and my Canon 550d camera for recording video. Works perfectly and whilst being fairly expensive I believe it is worth the doh. Would defo recommend for bright daylight outdoor shooting in that it does give you more possibilities with manual settings and exposures.
on 5 August 2010
I've been a fan of tiffen filters for quite a long time, they're good quality, relatively inexpensive (although not so much in amazon UK as amazon US), so i opted to go for this one. Before i even got a chance to try the filter outside, it was stuck on my lens, i didn't thread it wrong, i did everything the way it's supposed to be done, it just can't budge from my lens, it won't move, and if i try to force it chances are i'll damage and or break my lens.

I say, buy this filter, but be very careful threading it because i'm going to have it stuck on my lens for a while, which won't be fun for indoor shots without a tripod. Other than that, delivery was swift and service was as expected.

3 Stars for this one for quality of the product, i would have given it a 5 if i could actually go outside and take pictures with it rather than spending my time to try and remove it from my lens
66 comments| 5 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 29 November 2015
Nice filter at a fair price.
on 14 January 2015
Arrived on time, good price