on 2 November 2013
Bought this with Tiffen's 0.3 and 0.6 filters. Why?

Tiffen are great quality for the price. I'm happy to use the filters by stacking them, although I may go with a variable ND filter in the future. This time, I decided there was more potential for something to go wrong in the design of a variable ND filter, so I wet for three separate pieces of glass that can be stacked. It is more bulky, but this kind of kit is small anyway, and it was cheaper than the variable ND.

My glass arrived quickly and is very high quality. Completely satisfied with the purchase.

Best uses for this equipment:

1) Video work. If shooting video on your dSLR, you want control over the shutter speed. In most cases you'll want to be shooting at 1/50th or 1/60th of a second. Shutter speed affects the quality of the video, how action is rendered, in a way that is distinct to still photography. But shooting at these shutter speeds may restrict the aperture and/or ISO you can then select for a correct exposure. So, you pop one (or more) of these on your camera to get you to the aperture/ISO you want.

2) Landscapes where you want to blur clouds/water/other moving things.

3) If you want to shoot with studio strobes and/or speedlights to control the direction and nature of the light in your image, but you also want shallow DoF in the image. These filters are brilliant for this, and you can get really creative with it - this is how I use my filters most of the time, as I specialise in portraiture and video work.

Someone posted that they're not very creative filters but, once you understand how they work, you'll find the precision they grant you enable you to get very creative indeed!
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 17 September 2012
Why would anyone ever want to REDUCE the amount light coming into their cameras? With me and for many landscape photographers, it allows much longer shutter speeds to convey a real sense of blur, when the camera is bolted to a tripod.

Say, with a waterfall in dull light and my Nikon D700, which has a lowest iso rating of 200, even with the lens stopped right down to its minimum, you might only reach 1/4 second - any longer and the image burns out. By effectively making that iso 200 an iso of 25 (as in 'old' Kodachrome) you can get a super-silky smooth flow of water at 2 seconds. Doesn't sound much, but makes a lot of difference in actual use.

I use this excellently made Tiffen on my Nikkor 17-35mm f2.8 pro lens. In urban landscapes at night, I can get streams of traffic to build up more, creating a more spectacular photo without the streetlamps burning out the image so readily.

Yes, a new one is expensive but its quality means that there are good secondhand ones out there, which is what I bought. The fact that they get rarely used means the condition is likely to be better than filters used everyday, such as UV & Polarisers. It is the only ND I own and which I rarely use but when I need one, I certainly don't wish for anything better.
on 16 May 2011
I bought this to photograph waterfalls, river, skies etc with longer exposure during the day and this works well for that, it's a great filter and it's built to last. The best thing about it is that the actual darkening part is inbetween two clear glass pieces so it's easy to clean and ok with some marks on it which is good.

It's good because mine came with marks on it, it's got 2 very small scratches along one edge, these don't show up in the pictures for the reasons above so it's not such a big thing but i'm still slightly put out that amazon didn't state this.
on 27 November 2016
In my version, the glass in this filter does not sit snugly in the outer ring so it rattles. The filter works OK but it feels like the glass will fall out at any moment.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 30 January 2013
I got this as a gift for my partner as he is a keen amateur photographer. He specifically asked for this make and model and has used it regularly since it was purchased in 2011. I do not understand the technical side of photography but he is pleased with the effects that it creates and tells me it was a good buy.
on 4 June 2015
Bought this for my 17mm Zuiko f1.8 lens. I would say overall good value for money with at this price. Colour wise there is no washout or shading change. It certainly enhances the taking pictures at wide apertures in bight light. Only downside is some slight vignetting on my lens. Seems good quality and pretty solid build.
on 5 January 2017
There seem to be limited options when it comes to 37mm ND filters. There are cheaper ones out there, but not at the quality that Tiffen offers. So far, it has worked perfectly for me. Shame it appears they only go up to ND9, as I would possibly like to go higher later.
on 15 October 2013
Currently using two of these on an old Sony camera for infra-red photos. No problems at all well pleased with them
on 29 November 2015
Nice filter at a fair price.
on 8 April 2014
Used this filter many times on seascapes waterfalls even in the bath tub doing special effects. a must have !

See one answered question