Customer reviews

The Very Best of Dave Brubeck
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 June 2013
My first experience of a jazz album was the release of The Bryan Ferry Orchestra "The Jazz Age" late last year. This excellent record included some instrumental jazz interpretations of Ferry's solo and Roxy Music songs which proved hugely enjoyable. This introduction, along with recent BBC programmes, made me want to explore jazz further.

Treading these new water's carefully and with my limited knowledge that the effortlessly carefree "Take Five" was on this CD, I selected "The Very Best" instead of "Timeout" purely because it had more recordings on it for a similar price.

Listening to "The Very Best" at approximately one-and-a-quarter hours in length is a delightfully rewarding experience that I would encourage newcomers, like me, to share - jazz afficiandos are already well accustomed to the brilliance of this album. The great inter-play between Dave Brubeck on piano and Paul Desmond on alto sax in particular will give a joy to anyone fortunate enough to listen to this record. Personal favourites include "Unsquare Dance, Take Five, Mr Broadway, The Duke, In Your Own Sweet Way, They'll Be Some Changes Made, Fujiyama" and "The Raggy Waltz." The rest of the recordings are also great listening.

I am in my mid forties and am delighted that I have discovered jazz in the last few months, music that was created long before I was born yet is sublime and so refreshing. Highly recommended.
on 29 January 2013
I've just started dipping my toe into Jazz, I've always liked the sound of instrumental Jazz but never known any background on which artists to listen to.

I already knew Take Five by Dave Brubeck so thought that trying the 'Best of' would be worth a try. What a wonderful album this is, real musicians playing great music on real instruments. The arrangements are simple yet very catchy you can't help tapping your foot along to the rythms and melodies from the double bass, saxophone, piano and percusion here.

I'm not very well cultured with Jazz, but I recognised a few of the tracks here, a testament to how good/popular they are I guess.

This album is well recorded/produced especially considering the time period of the original recordings. The whole album sounds supurb. I often play it from start to finish I can't think of another album I own amongst my rock, pop, electronic dance... Etc that I can say that about.

Just buy it!
on 17 December 2015
My Dad got me into Mr Brubeck when I was a nipper, and thence I rather forgot about him whilst building my music collection.
So, saw this item on the site, and thought I would take the plunge.
Certainly one of my better music decisions as the album is terrific.
Highly recommended.
HALL OF FAMETOP 1000 REVIEWERon 9 June 2011
Dave Brubeck will be forever known for the masterpiece that is `Take Five'. With its catchy melody and unusual time signature it is perhaps one of the best known jazz tunes out there.

But there was so much more to Brubeck than this one track, as this set shows off. We have track after track of gentle jazz that shows off his fascination with time signature, along with his delightful, restrained keyboard playing. It is accessible stuff, the experimental edge is tempered with a desire to keep it listenable and interesting, making this a great album to put on and relax to, for the casual listener or for the more hardened jazz nut.
on 18 March 2013
I've never been a Jazz fan although over the years I've bought and enjoyed a few Jazz albums like Coltrane, Ella Fitzgerald etc
Having watched a very good documentary on Brubeck and heard his music in a more concentrated way I decided to buy this 'Best of' I very much enjoyed it. One or two tracks are a bit odd e.g. Jazz versions of traditional tunes but overall it conveys the fact that Brubeck was clearly a Master of his Art. I say this with deference to all the true Jazz fans who - unlike me - have known this for years!
on 22 December 2012
I'm an elderly gentleman that remembers Dave Brubeck right from the beginning and this compendium of music is a lovely reflection on his ability not only as a composer but as a performer. I bought it on hearing of his demise, the youth of this age seem to have tuneless loud music, I'm adding this to my collection for beautiful relaxation after the day's work is done. Very much the right price and also good quick delivery
on 27 March 2013
I only really brought this CD because I have always liked the track 'Take Five' so I wanted to see what else Mr. Brubeck had to offer.
His other tracks are okay but not being a real jazz fan what do I know.
I'm sure 'more learned' jazz fans will be able to guide potential buyers of this product with much more detail than I can.
on 7 January 2014
Dave Brubeck at his best! I have listened to lots of his music and this album was the one I thought reflected him at his best it has the good old Take Five which was of course his signature tune.
on 28 December 2013
always a fan of Dave Brubeck, this compilation is smooth, laid back but up beat and has me tapping along, clicking my fingers and nodding my neck...Sunglasses and roll neck stuff...Very evocative of the sixties. Hep to the jive man. Cooool daddyo !
on 11 June 2017