Customer reviews

on 8 January 2006
I am sitting in a hotel room in Haiti listening to X&Y by Coldplay and wishing I had 7 Day Weekend on my computer instead. It's not that the Coldplay album is bad - far from it, but for weeks now I was thinking to myself - where have I heard this sound before?
I have owned 7 Day Weekend for years now but it's on cassette so I can only listen to it at home. This and the excellent "Chasing Shadows" are really polished recordings which never got the exposure or success they deserved.
So, off you go to your nearest bricks & mortar store - the only places you can preview these CDs - and have a listen. If you like Coldplay, you should try the Comsat Angels.
on 19 December 2015
This record always gets a bad press (mainly from the band) second only to Fire on the Moon. Actually it's very good. Indeed, as a record full of great songs it knocks Sleep No More into the proverbial cocked hat. Not that I don't like SNM (I do a lot) it's just that it is completely different - colder, darker. In contrast this is the Comsat Angels at their most poptastic. But it's far from cretinous; indeed, nobody can write this sort of stuff anymore - true songs with more hook and melody than you can throw a stick at, coupled with traces of the Comsats that Jive weren't able to completely eradicate. All of the singles should have been hits frankly and the songs on here that weren't released as singles could have been. I'm not that keen on the 80s production values but it's no worse than other records of the era. Standout tracks are High Tide which has one the best arpeggios ever and Believe It. High Tide is worth the ticket price alone (or would be if the record wasn't so expensive currently) The extra track Land is also stunning in its use of atmospherics.
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 2 September 2016
Fantastic Album. Had it on vinyl but wanted the CD for ages. Not that long ago was £100 on Amazon so to get for under £40 was a result.
Nostalgic stuff. Every track is great and a couple of bonus b-sides on this special edition version.
Comsat Angels were very under-rated in their day and should have been a lot bigger than they were.
Recommended.
on 2 November 2000
I REALLY LIKE THESE GUYS AND I AM PLEASED THO SEE LAND AND 7 DAY RELEASED ON CD . I PREFER LAND AND MINDS EYE OVER 7 DAY. DONT GET ME WRONG THOUGH , IT IS STILL BETTER THAN ANY 90'S 3 CHORD , NO LEAD "FORMAT ROCK" HYPED BY RADIO . GET IT AND SEE FOR YOURSELF