Format: DVD|Change

I already have this and decided to buy it for my sister. She was born in 1972 and remembers this fondly as I do and I'm now 41! From the brilliant Peter Firmin and Oliver Postgate Bagpuss began life in 1974 and only ran for 13 episodes and yet is so well remembered! The story was based around a shop where nothing was sold but lost and broken things were found and repaired then displayed in the window for people to claim. The shop was owned by a little girl called Emily who was actually Emily Firmin daughter of Peter Firmin. She would leave the item infront of her favourite toy which was of course Bagpuss and recite. . .

Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss
Old Fat Furry Catpuss
Wake up and look at this thing that I bring
Wake up, be bright, be golden and light
Bagpuss, oh hear what I sing

Then Bagpuss would awaken and the picture would turn from sepia to colour! Which was sort of magical to me back then and I suppose still is now! Then all the other toys would awaken too. Gabriel the Toad who played the banjo, Madeleine the Ragdoll who sang the songs whilst Gabriel played! Professor Yaffle the wooden bookend and all the carved mice on the side of the mouse organ! absolutley brilliant.

The dvd has all 13 episodes:-

Old Man's Beard
The Fiddle
Flying
Uncle Feedle. . . .

And, of course, when Bagpuss goes to sleep,
All his friends go to sleep too.
The mice were ornaments on the mouse organ.
Gabriel and Madeleine were just dolls.
Professor Yaffle was a carved, wooden bookend in the shape of a woodpecker.
Even Bagpuss himself, once he was asleep, was just an old, saggy cloth cat,
Baggy, and a bit loose at the seams,
But Emily loved him.

It's a classic and I cannot recommend it enough and at this bargain price! My sister will be delighted and so will her new baby I think!
on 21 May 2017
Fab, absolutely love it. Had to edit my previous review as I had meant to leave a bad review on a first aid kit I'd purchased, not on this.... To clarify, this dvd is fab, sorry for any confusion
on 24 July 2014
This was purchased along with a gorgeous, microwaveable, lavender-scented, plush Bagpuss toy. Both items elicited a great deal of pleasure from a second-generation Bagpuss fan....and her mum! The episodes have a real retro charm about them and would make equally wonderful gifts, both for a small child discovering the "Fat Furry Catpuss" for the first time, or a bigger child revisiting the 1970s and discovering Bagpuss anew.
on 30 January 2007
I do because I'm the member of our family who watched this perfect production when I was a kid. But the magic is that my American wife and kids love Bagpuss too. There's something so wonderfully captivating about the gentleness of the characters and storytelling that even my 3-year-old twins sit perfectly still, episode after episode, to watch this saggy old cloth cat. Just two days after we bought this DVD my son was quoting most of the introduction. This purchase is one you don't need to think twice about.
on 9 April 2017
ok
on 4 May 2017
Ok
on 12 May 2015
Brilliant gift idea for parents.
on 16 March 2015
Great
on 18 May 2017
Very quick and easy process resulting in one very happy little girl!
on 27 March 2002
It was magical to see this second time around, and brought back those halcyon days when everything was beautiful and untroubled. I remain as enchanted as the first time. What is it about the Smallfilms output that is so wonderful? It's the simplicity, the magical characters, the great stories, the music, and, of course, the voices. Oliver Postgate, we love you!