Format: DVD|Change

on 22 September 2001
Oliver postgate and Peter Firmin are geni! I bought this DVD for my 6 year old son to show him what I used to watch (and for myself too if I am honest to see if it was as great as i remebered!) He adores it, it is one of the most watched things in the house. It is a classic because it is warm, gentle and well thought out. It doesn't set out to educate just entertain and that's why not just emily loved it!! After all this was made in 1974 and shown on BBC until 1987 when some idiot took it off. People love it look at all the Bagpuss stuff in the shops now - including cakes !!! Something had to be going right! This came from the fertile mind that bought you the clangers, ivor the engine, noggin the nog etc! Honestly if you want to give your kids a really lovely gift that will kick start their imaginations you can't fail with this little gem, it's a masterpiece! Check out out Oliver Postgate's autobiography - this man is a national treasure!
on 6 November 2000
DVD is no longer the home of only blockbuster action movies - and to prove it here is a children's show made 26 years ago. The image quality is very good with minimal encoding artefacts (certainly better then the VHS), although the sound seems a little hissy and weak. It does not look as though Universal did anything more than take their master for the Complete Bagpuss video (released last year) and encode it for DVD. No "digital remastering" here! Apart from the improved video quality the main benefit of this disc over the VHS is instant access to any episode - no more fast forward and rewind problems just to find the machine that turns breadcrumbs and butterbeans into chocolate biscuits! The menus are static text based affairs with only pictures of the main characters to brighten them up. One word of warning to those who care about such things - this disc comes in a Super-CD style plastic case, which are apparently more fragile than the more common cases. Overall an excellent disk that will delight those who are a child at heart, as well as those who are currently children!
on 2 July 2000
Bagpuss is unsurpassed in the nostalgia stakes. As a small child (many, many years ago) I recall being as excited as it was humanly possible to be whenever I knew Bagpuss was to be on the television. Now it fills me with happy memories to watch the episodes and recite my favourite passages. A triumph. Why was this not released sooner!
"Bagpuss, dear Bagpuss, Old fat,furry cat-puss, Wake up and look at this thing that I bring. Wake up, be bright, Be golden and light. Bagpuss oh hear what I sing."
...Old fat furry catpuss.

This is just as charming as you remember it from childhood. In all honesty, I bought this as a bit of a nostalgia trip, and really wasn't expecting my 3 year old to like it. Silly me. It's about a magical cat and his animal friends - what's not to like? The stories are timeless, and the animation has a wonderful otherworldly quality that just adds to the charm.

The only surprise was to realise that only 13 episodes were ever made. How wonderful that such a short-run series is still available, and still enjoyable today.
Bagpuss is one of the most wonderful things that has ever happened on TV and I've never either grown out of it or tired of it, which means that I'm overjoyed to have my very own copy of the series, which I can watch any time I like and I'm not in the least bothered that it hasn't been re-mastered. It looks all right to me and I'm happy with it. After all, Bagpuss never aspired to being perfect; it shows us that in every episode. Anyway, I expect someone will re-master it, which is all right as long as they don't re-do all of it and mess it all up like they do with so many things these days.

There's much more to Bagpuss than tales just for children. The format is an inspiration for all of us to be more creative in everything we do. I'm told that modern children have no interest in Bagpuss because they are too busy playing on their tablets. Well, if they learn to play well enough, maybe Bagpuss will appear right there and inspire them with a real good tale. I've met characters just like the ones depicted in Bagpuss. Have you? I mean like the woodpecker, the mice and all that.
on 20 September 2001
This is a fantastic opportunity for Bagpuss fans everywhere to enjoy their favourite character in all his glory. All the episodes are there and what it lacks in DVD features it makes up for with good old charm. My daughter (3 years old) and I love it (even my husband watches it)!
on 13 May 2000
When I was small I loved waiting to see what Emily would bring to her shop and how the mice would 'fix it'. Now my daughter Emily,who is three, waits to see what Bagpuss and all his friends will make of each new 'thing' bought into the shop. This truly is a classic video to be enjoyed by all children and it is great to watch the stories again that I enjoyed so much as a little girl.
on 15 May 2008
Petend you have kids, I bought this because I am a bagpuss fan and even though I am 36 and was single when I bought this I was not discouraged. It brought back my childhood and triggered many great memories of the 70's when my late mother would watch bagpuss with me, heck even my dad likes it. It even helped me nab a girlfriend as after I told her "just because I own the Complete Bagpuss on DVD, I am not a soft touch!" mind you As I work in a nursery this may play a Part.
Bagpuss is Briliant
on 17 February 2000
This video really is the *Complete* Bagpuss - it contains all of Bagpuss' fabulous 'adventures', unlike the other super-cheapo Bagpuss video on the market which only covers a couple of shows. Bagpuss has never been surpassed in terms of surreal nostalgia - remember Charlie Mouse, and the Marvellous Mechanical Mouse Organ? The chocolate biscuit factory? Gabriel the banjo-playing toad? They're all here...! And Emily loved them all.
on 5 December 2015
Excellent, great to wallow in a bit of nostalgia now and again. Who needs loud and flashy when you can have this, children's progamming as it should be. My children also love Bagpuss as I'm sure most children would, I just hope that they never do a remake as so often seems to be the case nowadays, some things should remain untouched.