Format: Audio CD|Change

Excellent selection of tracks, seems to be a decent transfer to CD so no problems sound wise, apart from "It Might As Well Rain Until September." I did some research on this and there is no master tape for it, as it done as a demo for Bobby Vee on an acetate disc, hence the poor mono sound. There are many very informative reviews on this CD and I can't really add more info. I got mine used in perfect condition for very little so was an easy choice for me and I also own "Tapestry". Both are highly recommended.
on 6 November 2013
This cd is a brilliant compilation of Carole Kings songs, arrived very quickly , would definitely recommend to my friends and anyone else
on 8 April 2017
It's Carole King, doesn't really need more comment but some great tracks from a great artist.
on 20 February 2015
My old CD was faulty - played so often. Couldn't get a new one on the high street. Love the CD and highly recommend it.
on 15 May 2009
This is an excellent collection of Carol King's songs performed by the lady herself. Many of the songs will be familiar done by other people since Carole is one of the most covered songwriters around. Production on the album is smooth and there is a very definite 70s feel to some of the arrangements and none the worse for this because the songs are classics. Also bear in mind that a lot of this music was recorded in the 70s in the pre-digital era.

Well worth adding to the collection.
on 15 March 2016
I would recommend this collection over the other two compilations currently available. It has 7 more songs than A Beautiful Collection and there is far too much filler on CD1 of The Essential. In addition, I would much rather have King's own versions of Will You Love Me Tomorrow and Up on The Roof on CD2 rather than from those artists who had major hits with these songs. I feel it would be better to have this available as a separate CD.

Whilst there is some fantastic music on this collection, the quality of the music dips in the second half. All of these which I consider lesser tracks were released after the still highly regarded Tapestry album.

It is a personal preference, but I reckon that the replacement of these lesser tracks and the addition of her recordings Goin' Back, Wasn't Born To Follow, Some of Your Lovin', Chains, One Fine Day and Pleasant Valley Sunday would make a pretty much flawless Very Best of Carol King.

However this would only go to show that, with a handful of exceptions, her best work was written with her ex husband Gerry Goffin.
on 4 September 2012
Great old classics and some I had not heard before however I also bought Best of James Taylor at the same time and lots are the same but it's to be expected with this age and genre. Overall an excellent album if you only have one Carole King in your collection!
on 17 December 2012
I heard Carole King on the radio recently & my teenage music listening all came flooding back to me! I found this album & am very pleased with it. Lots of great songs from this brilliant singer/songwriter. Highly recommended.
on 17 December 2012
I am very pleased to get this album so cheaply. I have three vinyl versions, scratched in different places. Keeping them for sentimental reasons, but can now listen in comfort. A great selection of songs. Thank you.
on 26 February 2015
The purchase of this CD has been a big mistake. Songs are terrible and a little depressing. Bought it because I watched a documentary on TV about Carole King and they played some of her music and they did sound good then. I wonder if they have got some sort of a special equipment to pay music on telly to make it sound so good. Will be passing this CD on to something else soon.