Format: Audio CD|Change

on 4 March 2005
This was the first Doobies album that I bought since the departure of Michaeld McDonald to pastures more soulful. I think it is a brilliant album and have listened to it over and over and enjoyed it more and more.
It could easily have followed The Captain and Me without disappointing the fans of the Doobies in the seventies, only it has a more mature and contemporary sound, even including jazzy influences on the sublime "Don't be afraid".
I recommend this album to anyone who has enjoyed the Doobie Brothers other albums, or to Eagles fans who've never tried listening to the Doobies before. (Where have you been, borthers?)
on 9 February 2004
At the Doobies' recent London concert it was apparent that only a small percentage of the audience were familiar with this album. And you call yourselves fans? Just because it seemed like nothing would ever surpass the sublime "What a fool believes", and that the Doobies had nowhere to go after practically breaking up in the nineties, there is no reason to believe that a comeback album can't be trusted. Sibling Rivalry is quite simply a beautiful creation, containing everything that its highest quality predecessors ever had ...except for transitional elements like Michael McDonald and Jeff Baxter. Powerful driving rock numbers, melodic ballads, and a great mix of styles - including smooth jazz influences and horns on my favourite track "Don't be afraid". Perhaps that should have been the title of the album. Try it. You'll love it too.
on 18 April 2014
The Doobie Brothers seem to be enjoying making music these days and are still on great form. It's fresh and vibrant with lots of sonic interest to catch the ear and bring the listener back to see what was missed before. The vocal harmonies are sharp and tasteful and the guitar playing is slick and graceful.
For those who care, the tracking engineer has done a wonderful job on this, bringing our the clarity of all the I nstruments and voices. And the mixing engineer complements the basic tracking with some great work. Everything gets a sonic space without dominating. It's not an easy trick to pull off.
All in all, a collection of great songs from a wonderful band, complemented by a top engineering job.
on 23 June 2012
I recently bought this cd after previously buying the Doobie Brothers The Captain and me.That got me to take a preview of this one.I liked what I heard so decided to get it.I am playing it now and since I got it have played it over and over.One great cd.I will be adding more of The Doobie Brothers stuff to my cd collection.Already ordered another cd.Great music.
on 6 December 2016
This was Keith Knudsen last album with the Doobies and as far as I can make out his input here was quite impressive since some of the main vocals sound as though they could be his along with writing credits. Some wonderful songs here and production. It's been one of those albums I return to time and time again. It is also a little different from other Doobies albums, but never the less highly recommended.
on 4 January 2011
Would thoroughly recommend this CD - strong songs with usual great harmonies. Couple of fillers that prevent me from rating 5 star
on 1 May 2016