• Live!

Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 20 December 2000
A must for any guitarists musical collection, this album impresses upon the listener the astounding ability of Antonio Forcionne. Having been an avid admirer of the classical guitarists for so long (Williams, Bream, Russell etc), Antonio is one of the few jazz guiatrists who posseses the technical ability and control of a classicist with and freedom and varied intonations of jazz musician. His mastery of slap guitar gives each song a individual and whole sound (I heard it through the grapvine).
This album holds pride of place in my guitar album collection and I highly recommend it to any music lover. Five stars and if I could give more I would!
on 15 June 2001
Like many guitar albums the first 3-4 tracks here are probably the best, but there is much variety in the music. Forcione can evidently handle blues, jazz, spanish and arabic music. He often sounds quite different from other guitarists (important if you listen to as much guitar music as I do). And he captivates his audience, taking them on a journey.
Forcione is clearly a great showman and probably needs to be seen as well as heard. He incorporates tapping and percussive techniques inspired by the likes of Michael Hedges and Billy McLaughlin with some nice harmonics and some tricks like playing the strings over the headstock (I think!), detuning strings and adjusting the volume control. It sounds like he is excellent with a pick or playing fingerstyle. A great album, full of fun. I will certainly go and see him play on the evidence of this.
on 26 September 2001
Absolutely astonishing acoustic guitar, fantastically original, defientely Antonio Forcione. The only better experience for mostly solo Acoustic (and I mean LIVELY) guitar that to listen to this is to see Antonio for real. Inspired playing that changed me years ago from electric to acoustic. I just didn't know acoustic could be so dynamic until I heard/saw him.
on 31 December 2004
I was listening to jazzFM, I can't remeber the song, but I remeber the guitar playing, I knew I was listening to something special. I tracked Antonio down to a concert in london, only to find that the radio lied. This musician is pure genious, and no recording can do him justice.
Ok so what is special about the song "Heard it through the Grapevine" by Marvin Gaye. It was great song performed by a great singer, reborn by a superb musician, no one can sing like Marvin Gaye, Antonio doesn't bother, the riff is the voice, he even manages to add some acoustic funk and Acoustic Jaco Pastorias Bass lines ?.
Antonio plays a simple guitar, he is able to construct complex guitar paterns both arpeggio and solo style, includes bass lines and uses the casing and strings as a percusion instrument, all in one go !!!(I have seen him live, it is just him, trust me).
He plays acoustic guitar, from Jazz to Spanish, and crosses over seamlessly, but he doesn't stop there, he has such a broad spectrum. His influences appear to be old acoustic players from the mid to late seventies like John McCaughlin.
Think of your favorite master of acoustic guitar, what would he be like if he was twice as good, get and this album and see for yourself.
He is the utlimate pro, real person and a true artist, from the land of Ferrari, Ducati, Tuscany, Vivaldi, Rossini, Leonardo Da Vinci, Michelangello, Spaghettti Bolognese and Antonio Forcione. A country not short of Genius.
on 11 July 2011
Found on a Naim compilation CD left to dust on the top shelf of my collection a change to tube amps and a tweaked cd player and a second listen demanded; the CD purchased. This is a spectacular journey into a unique talent. Both the speed, timing, rhythm and sheer joy that Mr Forcione puts into his musicmaking is something to behold. The added bonus is the incredible recording which places you right in the action - front and center.
on 9 June 2015