on 16 September 2004
I am a pianoforte student and really needed some help in some of Mozart's Sonatas and in particular his variations. I found Barenboim's pieces perfect for study - slightly on the slower side when compared to other interpreations (which makes it all the better to analyse) but extremely precise when dealing with phrasing and articulation. The feeling created by all works in the CDs are simply incredible and I felt very motivated to study Mozart in further detail after I heard most of them. I was very happy with this box set.
on 6 May 2003
Anyone who has ever heard Mr. Barenboim conduct an orchestra, be it the Chicago Symphony Orchestra or the Berliner Philharmoniker knows that Barnboim is one of the most talented interpeter of our time if not The most.
However, I say to you that if you haven't heard him play Mozart you are definitely missing out. I always thought that Horowitz understood the Mozart sonatas best. He conveyed the "understanding" of the music without sentimentality. Perahia gives his regular performance - perfect and dull and Uchida plays them as the most skilled pianist can play a piece whose notes he only received moments earlier.
I can't describe how Barenboim plays Mozart - he makes those Sonatas linger in your stomach, surround your ears and draws the music into your soul, without ever coming close to over-sentimentality. Those sonatas are simply... more beautiful when Barenboim plays them. I'm sure if a computer comapred the timing of the keystrokes between Barenboim and Horowitz it'd find almost no difference at all - but Barenboim simply makes me FEEL better with the music.
If you've got no other performances of the Sonatas, I recommend you start with these. Anything else out there is certainly not better, it can only come close to this performance.
And while we're at it you'd do well by yourself if you get Barenboim conducting Mozart's Requiem - i've got 10 different performances of the Requiem - all of them have something i really like about them, and a few things i rather be different - but Barenboim's performance (with some french orchetra & choir, i don't remember) is flawless and brilliant in the conductor's understanding of the music, and the orchestra and choir's performance is impeccable under Barenboim.
on 30 November 2009
I had been learning one of these pieces before I bought this and wanted to understand how to interpret the piece. Mozart's piano work is incredibly complex, sophisticated and beautiful on so many levels, and yet when played properly often has such a playful simplicity, that belies the genius. I sometimes find it hard to really get into the bones of the piece so wanted to hear how to do it properly. I am not a great aficionado of performers, but had at least heard of Baranboin - but then I have heard of Clayderman too! This recording is of high quality and you can really hear everything. The sensitivity he brings to these pieces is tangible. I am just amazed (having limped through just one of these) how anyone can perform so many of these to such a high standard. Loved it!
on 28 January 2008
Even though Barenboim's interpretation and playing is perhaps a little more conservative than I would personally prefer, his performance is meticulous and he allows the notes to speak. I think Barenboim is a little too careful--he lacks the flair and the "umph" that Horowitz's has, but his interpretation is careful and provides an excellent introduction to Mozart's piano pieces. Although I still prefer Horowitz's performance, this set of CDs is an excellent addition to any classical collection.
on 24 July 2010
These are the complete piano sonatas. They are brilliantly played by Barenboim and are great value for money!
on 30 April 2012
Unfortunately these CD`s are defect. The player jumps between tracks, the player (Accuphase) cannot track the CD`s. This does not happen with my other CD`s so the EMI CD`s must be defect. The same problem is present with the Mozart piano Concertos, Ashkenazy, also by EMI. Sp EMI has doen a poor job.
Cheers Sven