Customer reviews

Format: Mini-Disc|Change

on 16 October 2017
Excellent
on 18 October 2000
I bought this album just because it was Van the Man. It arrived and I stuck it straight into the CD player. The first track struck up. I was disappointed! Oh no! Country and Western; I am not a fan. I took the album straight out, put it back in the case and felt bitterly disappointed. The CD remained on a shelf for a good two weeks until I decided that as I had bought it, I might as well play it the once, even if it was going to end up as my mother's Christmas present! WOW! What a surprise and delight! The album is simply great! The tracks are all extremely good, cheery and uplifting. I played it continously all day and beyond. A good one to lift your spirits and get your toes a tapping. Nice one Van! You've done it again!
on 6 September 2016
Love it.
on 24 September 2013
Goods were received well before the expected delivery date. Goods were well packaged and received in excellent condition as per the description in the sale.
on 12 April 2016
epic
on 25 June 2015
All as expected, very good, perfect.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 30 August 2013
. . . that Linda Gail Lewis was Jerry Lee's sister! There I was in my car (which is where I listen to Van) and thinking, "Whoa! a touch of the Jerry Lee's on that piano work," and not even thinking that it was odd that this was another Lewis doing it. She has an odd, distinctive, attractive little-girley kind of voice, but it works with Van's bluesy bluster, and I like the way that Van just gets into these songs with good diction and less blues-bending phrasing: in other words respecting the C&W and rockabilly roots of the music. He even goes for the full throated country climaxes in places, and pulls it off, reminding us that this is a voice of considerable power and beauty and that Van's vocal resources are more considerable than one might at first think. He seems to do well with strong fellow-artists -- the Chieftains, Lonnie Donegan, and now Linda Lewis. I like all the stuff on the album, but I never thought I would hear Van sing "Jambalaya" and he lets it rip here. Lots of fun!
on 26 September 2000
I saw Van at the Liverpool Empire with Linda Gail Lewis this month and was blown away! It was a really country rockin' set and I was delighted to hear that there was to be an album. I bought it the first day it came out and I was not disappointed! The album opens with a great rendition of Otis Blackwell's "Lets Talk About Us" and is followed up with a heart breaking version of Hank Williams' "You Win Again". As a whole the album is yet another demonstration of Van Morrison's adaptability and genius. Over the last 3 albums alone we have seen him go from songs such as "Indian Summer" (from "Back On Top") to "Lost John" (on the "Skiffle Sessions") now to songs such as "Why Don't You Love Me?". The band with Van and Linda on this album (The Red Hot Pokers) are really great and Linda's voice is a perfect contrast to Van's. All in all this is a very fine album indeed. "Its just a little shot of rhythm and blues, with some rock n roll on the side just for good measure."
on 15 February 2009
This is Van at his most relaxed and the album has a great sense of fun.
It's probably best described as Americana with it's great blend of country and RnB and it is a great party album, something you can't usually say about a Van album.
The great man has disowned it now but it is a great side project album in the same league as Irish Heartbeat and Pay The Devil.
Don't expect to be transended but don't be surprised if you suddenly start dancing!
on 17 November 2008
a pleasant country and western without some of the usual slush, and with a bit more tempo on most numbers. I think Linda Gail Lewis' counterpoint harmony makes the album - it's a straightforward and honest effort - there's nothing progressive or sensational on it - what you see is exactly what you get. Linda's piano could have had a bit more flow and punch - to me it sounds a bit laboured at times -but who am I to disagree with Jools Holland , who wrote the sleeve notes, and raves over the whole thing.
An album for a mellow mood then, but no more than that.