on 6 May 2017
There are few albums that you don't skip a track and this is one. With the possible exception of the intro, each track builds to beautiful crescendo. "my weakness is none of your business"... how many i'd love to sing that to!

You don't have this in your collection you don't have a collection. A big bag of awesome!
on 31 October 2017
great
on 2 April 2017
Classic album. If your into indi music get this.
on 14 November 2017
excellent
on 20 November 2000
When you think of great debut albums you think 'Definetely Maybe' by Oasis or 'Word Gets Around' by the Stereophonics but this album ranks up there with the best of them. It starts off strong with such anthems as 'All You Good Good People' and 'Come Back To What you Know' and continues to be strong until the end with such classics as the sublime 'Fireworks' and the crowd favourite 'The Good Will Out'. This is a must for any fan of great music, a MUST for all CD collections.
VINE VOICEon 14 February 2008
This album is in my view one of the best purchases I made in the 90s. It's the debut offering from Embrace, another northern band with (at the time) swagger and some anthemic music to back them up.

The singles here are spectacular in their quality - notably Come Back To What You Know and All You Good Good People, both of which were regular fixtures on the radio around their release, both of which hit the top 10, and both of which will make you go 'ahhh' if you don't think you know them now. The strength of the album, though, lies in the album tracks.

Embrace are kings of the uplifting crowd anthem (see the singles) but they are even better at bringing an optimistic twist out of some of the saddest and most heart-rending songs you can hear. The build of the piano-focussed title track is beautiful, and That's All Changed Forever was for a long time my favourite song of all time.

I can't recommend this album enough. It doesn't have the musical sophistication that some would like, but it makes up for all of it in bottle, and great, great songs.
on 5 July 2000
For ages before this album came out, Embrace had been all mouth, convinced that this was going to be the best thing since sliced bread. They weren't far off with those statements as they produced a record of epic proportions. From the opening rattle of the kettle drum into 'All You Good Good People' right the way through to the epic ballad of 'The Good Will Out', this album is little short of stunning. Whilst the rock moments on the album ('One Big Family' 'Last Gas' 'I Want the World') are good, it is really with the ballads that this album comes into its own. Songs as emotionally charged as 'Retread' just hit you right in the heart. The best songs on the album are left until the end, with four epic tunes out of the last five: 'Fireworks', 'That's all Changed Forever', 'Now You're Nobody' and 'The Good Will'. If these four songs don't move you, nothing will. People complain about Danny's singing, and, alright, it isn't always perfect, but it fits the job here fine. If you don't already own a copy of this album, you must buy it as it is simply wonderful.
on 13 August 2007
I shouldn't like this band. People who know me would probably refer to me as a music snob - which isn't true - and here's the proof. I love this record and I love Embrace! A mate of mine at uni did me a copy of this album when it came out and I promptly chucked it in the bin without listening to it. That week I was moving out of halls and into a flat and for some reason I fished it out of the bin just as I was leaving. I'm glad I did because I couldn't stop playing it after that. For the next few months it was pretty much all I played. Maybe it was the sense of dislocation I felt after leaving uni and having to fend for myself (find a job, pay rent, be a grown up etc...) but the songs seemed to make sense. It sounds silly, but they really helped me! The intro may be nicked off Sgt. Pepper's but All You Good Good People is as good an anthem as you'll ever hear. Embrace got a lot of stick for trying to be like Oasis but that was just lazy journalism. Oasis could never write songs as good as these - more anthemic, louder, brasher - but what's truly amazing about this album is the deftness of touch. Fireworks, That's All Changed Forever and Retread are heartbreakingly good. Danny's voice is straining all over the place but that only adds to the fragility of the sentiments. The lyrics are great too. They don't read particularly well - in fact, they don't seem to make much sense on paper at all. Check out My Weakness Is None Of Your Business:

Don't wanna make a row
You do And it's your loss I'm around
I don't mind doing everything
Hallelujah you're the one come back now

When they're sung they sound like poetry to rival Keats! This album still sounds great today. Embrace lost their way a little bit - chewed up and spat out by their major label backers. To accompany this, get the b-sides compilation - Dry Kids. When they were making this album they had more great songs than they knew what to do with - most of them ended up as b-sides. I remember them playing Dry Kids live and it blew me away. They came on stage to big blinking lights that spelt out EMBRACE, punching the air like they'd won the cup. I repeat, I shouldn't like this band...
on 21 February 2006
....a long drive with this album on the CD player.
These songs strike a chord with me like no other, which is probably why I'm a huge Embrace fan. Contrary to most other opinions, I actually like Danny Macnamara's voice, and I think it goes hand-in-glove with the Embrace 'sound'. This is an album that rises and falls through some of the best work the band has created, namely 'All You Good Good people', 'Come Back To What You Know', 'Fireworks', and my own favourite 'Retread'.
If I had to pick one album to have if I was stranded on a desert island, then this is it. 10 out of 10.
on 21 January 2013
NON GRAN CHE' DI ALBUM SUONO SIMILE AD OASIS ALBUM PERSONALMENTE NON MI HA DATO NESSUN TIPO DI BUONE EMOZIONI
BUONO IL SINGOLO