Customer reviews

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 22 April 2017
fast - good value, great!
on 26 March 2017
superb
on 19 December 2005
I have been listening to this album for about 3 years now, and I still can't get enough of it. It has an amazing magical, mystical, floating quality which sends you cruising over deep fjords, icy mountains and eery barren volcanic landscapes. I love the fact that I can't understand what the lyrics are about; you can just let it all wash over you and give it your own meaning, should you choose to. I just found the translations of the lyrics tonight on the net: they are very interesting and poetic. Icelandic (or Hopelandic!) is a beautiful-sounding language, ideal for singing in.
on 29 July 2002
Agaetis Byrjun is most possibly the most amazing album I have ever heard. Every track makes you tingle with emotion, and the purity and beauty of the wall of noise created will blow you away.
This album is the perfect mix of raw, violin- bow enhanced guitar, mind blowing vocals and a plethora of crazed, beautiful sounds. Culminating in a perfect state of blissful energy.
If your a fan of the more experimental radiohead or simply a person who enjoys beautiful music you should not be without this album. Listen to Svefn-G-Englar (track 2) and let your mind drift away into a blissful state of pure ecstasy.
on 4 January 2016
First ever Album purchase on vinyl, definitely no regrets! Having known about Sigur Ros for year now they have cemented themselves as one of my favourite bands. Their unique Icelandic sound is simply breathtaking and wanting to get on the Vinyl bandwagon I felt these were the best to start with. I was surprised as to how heavy vinyls are compared to a standard compact disk.

Within a few moments of setting up my turntable and unpacking the album I was ready... the sound is simply superb! Every note is crisp and clear and there's something about watching it just spin around that's awe inspiring. I am now looking forward to completing my collection of Sigur Ros albums on vinyl for some simply stunning rainy days sat in my man cave!

Staralfur is the standout track on this album for me, with only one listen it evoked memories of my grandfather and that's something I'll hold dear for years to come! If you're a Sigur Ros fan like me but want to make the jump to Vinyl, this is the way to start it, grab a coffee or a cup of tea, place the needle down and relax!
on 4 September 2004
I have no idea what this instrumentally-voiced man is singing about, however I really could not care less. Every now and then I hear something close to an english word: breathe, it's you and north to name but a few. But these really do not matter - only the fantastic ambience of a reverb ridden group of instruments and a soft ethereal voice are important when listening to sigur ros.
In my opinion, STARALFUR is the standout track of this album by a very very long way. The heartbeat like drums and the simple guitar melody twisting it's way between perfectly written strings create a beautiful, enchanting sound that weaves it's way into your heart strings.
Other standout tracks include Svefn-G-Englar and the album's harshest piece, Ny Batteri.
If you are so ignorant as to say - "well I don't like it because I don't understand what he's singing" then please, please - give this album to someone who will appreciate the visual landscapes that this CD manages to create in one's mind...
(And you thought Jimmy Page was the best person to use a bow on their guitar, PAH!)
VINE VOICEon 4 June 2008
Hearing Sigur Ros for the first time , as most of us did when hearing Agaetis byrjun, is akin, i imagine , to not just hearing music beamed down from another planet but hearing music beamed across from the far side of a far distant galaxy. The sort of thing Star Trek "Voyager" might have heard on their sojourn through the delta quadrant.( the cover , featuring a ballpoint pen drawing by a friend of the band further ratifies the music's alien ambience) The nearest comparison, and i realise that i am being far from being original here, are The Cocteau Twins , though even their celestial otherworldliness does,nt really compare to the Icelandic quartet.
Agaetis byrjun (Icelandic for An alright start) was originally released in June 1999 and is actually the bands second album , though i was under the misconception for some considerable time that it was their debut. With reference to the Cocteau Twins comparison their actual debut "Von Brigoi" is actually more like them mixed in with ambient drifts not unlike certain Eno or Seefeel. This album though is virtually unique. The astonishing falsetto vocals of Jon Birgisson soar over his cello bowed guitars and the diffuse keyboards of Kjsrtan Sveinsson . Abyss plunging bass lines keep the whole anchored somewhere adjacent to terra firma.
Further enhancing the music's obtuse quality's are degrees of self-reference. The first track "Intro" is,nt listed on the packaging and while most of the songs are sung in Icelandic ( though , even in English they would be indecipherable i feel) "Olsen Olsen" is sung in the gibberish language Vonlenska- which the band used for the entire follow up album ( ). The band also pull off sly technical tricks like making the strings in "Staralfur" palindromic or the fact that "Avalon" is in fact the aforementioned tracked played at a quarter of it,s speed.
Putting all this clever muso mumbo jumbo to one side though the real glory of Sigur Ros is the breathtaking emotional clout of the songs. "Svefn-g- englar" ( It translates as sleepwalkers) is consummately spine tingling -the sort of track i never ever tire of hearing . "Staraflur" has lump in the throat panoramic strings while on "Flugufrelsarinn" ( The Fly Freer) they are more sombre and elegiac like a Morricone soundtrack.
Agaetis byrjun remains Sigur Ros,s finest achievement, certainly better than the sombre ( ) and while "Takk" was a return to form it never matches the grace and insidious alien textures of this album. Whatever planet, galaxy , cosmos Agaetis byrnum is beamed from it remains a vital thrilling human experience.
on 29 March 2013
I first came across Sigur Ros during my 3rd or 4th visit to Iceland (can't remember which) back in 2001, when I wandered into Reykjavik record shop and asked the assistant to recommend some Icelandic music to take home. When I first heard this I admit that I wasn't sure, but then I got to the track Olsen Olsen, with those soaring falsetto vocals, and this persuaded me to listen again. By the third listen I was hooked, and I have not looked back.

This is quite possibly the most profoundly spiritual music I have ever heard, with all of its different moods, sometimes dark, sometimes tender, sometimes uplifting, and frequently for me all at the same time, reflecting the Icelandic psyche and indeed the Icelandic landscape itself in all its glory. I guess you would have to travel to Iceland to really grasp and appreciate this. So much though can be heard and read into this music - it is best listened to I find in the dark with your eyes closed to shut out the distractions, and let the music simply speak for itself directly to your own heart and your own soul, for this music if it is allowed to speak and show itself, has a soul all of its own. So much can be heard within its keys, the Icelandic landscape for sure with all of its contrasts, but also the human condition itself. Perhaps that is part of its appeal, for one can hear whatever ones wants to hear.
on 13 September 2014
I first came across Sigur Ros when my husband bought 'Kveiker' and it blew me away. I have since bought nearly everything they have done (Takk, (), Meo suo i eyrum vio spilum endalaust, Valtari and the dvd Heima) but I have to say that this is by far my favourite. Tracks 'Svefn-g-englar' 'Staralfur' 'Flugufrelsarinn' ' Viorar Vel Til Loftarasa' and 'Ágætis Byrjun' take me off and away. I have never before found a band that have moved me so much. Their music is so emotive it could make me weep. Beautiful melodies, Jonsi's haunting vocals and that guitar sound -Jonsi uses a bow - wow, wow, wow...stunning, amazing and compulsive listening. I can't listen to anything else any more. There is only Sigur Ros.
on 6 July 2003
i dont understand what he's singing
i dont know what instrument is playing....
but i've never known any music like this....
i thought radiohead were experimental... until i heard this iceland gem....
i'm blow away to the point where i cant move when this cd plays, every note goes through my body like a bullet, i'm humbled by the vast knowledge that this group can offer just by one track.
this cd breaks me and manages to rebuild me inside out
and i may sound dramatic, i may be hyping up this album alot...
understand i dont usually buy male artists, i gave up on male frounted groups (with the exception of grandaddy, spaklehorse and radiohead...) but my god this blew me away,
his voice is at times almost an instrument of it's own,
i recomend this cd to any music lover, to anyone who is open to interpatation and has an imagination...
get lost in this cd
and then track down those other equally amazing haunting albums...
like mini films in your mind this cd washes over me leaving tiny lil shellfish in my soul
i love it!
11 Comment| 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse