on 1 August 2010
Heard this piece on radio 3 and having thought I did not like Delius much, too bland, found that this beautiful suite lifted my mood. It is perfect music to drive to and I keep it in the car for that purpose. This allows me to listen to it in peace and quiet and to blank out the discourteous driving one comes across from time to time. Not the recording I heard on the radio but very sensitive to the composer's intentions I think
on 30 June 2011
Whilst the name of Delius is known to many, he music isn't that well represented on disc when you consider he wrote in the region of 120 pieces. Every classical library of music should include some Delius, and this disc is an agreeable and worthy starting point.

The Florida Suite is a wonderfully evocative collection of pieces that move us from sunrise to sunset in a gentle, beautiful and pastoral way that presents to us all that is great about the music of Delius. Whilst the accompanying North Country Sketches are enjoyable enough, the disc also includes one of his most famous pieces, On Hearing the First Cuckoo in Spring.

A great buy at the current price, and a worthy addition to anyone's classic collection.
on 10 December 2010
I was a little tentative wondering if this could be such good value as it appeared to be. I need not have worried, Vernon Handley has a lovely lyrical reading of what are already romantic pieces, gets the best from this great group of players and produces a cd that is atmospheric and lush. the North Country sketches are stunning - just wonderful.
on 18 August 2008
Wonderful music

For anybody wanting an introduction to the music of Delius, this is it; the CD includes his Florida Suite and North Country Sketches which are beautifully played by the Ulster Orchestra, conducted by Vernon Handley.

Superb value for money and highly recommended.
on 6 July 2016
I hold a long-established top three favourite classical pieces in my heart, but when I heard the Florida Suite for the first time on Classic FM some months ago, and played it quietly in my bedroom on this disc thereafter, my top three was changed. It is a sublime piece of music and the whole cd is brilliant and now easily among my top three classical discs. Performed by the Ulster Orchestra, this recording of the Florida Suite is outstanding, warm and truly beautiful. I play it regularly.
on 4 March 2013
This is one of my favourite pieces of classical music ever. It's so melodic and soothing, I defy non classical music lovers to not be bowled over by this amazing piece. I can be transported to a wonderful natural scene of tranquility and beauty in an instant just by listening to the first few notes. Delius was such a natural talented composer and a genius to boot.The whole album is a delight and i am more than pleased with my purchase.
on 21 March 2013
A beautiful recording of the music of Delius, very restful, atmospheric and evocative of the time. A cd to play again and again