Customer reviews

Distant Light
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 1 December 2012
The hollies had been making some great discs for years. Even their pop classic 'hollies sing hollies' is full of great pop songs. But this one and the one following it were very good rock cd's. This was perhaps one of the best rock releases out in 1971 and that is saying alot in a era of truly great music. Musicians were artists then and this one was a master crafted work with fantastic songs on it. the harmonies are of course more powerful than most groups as usual but this is a very mature rock work. Their next three were on this level too. But it was alan clarkes last one for 3 years and that was not a good thing for the hollies career. This remains a well made group of songs that were done by a band trying to make a great rock cd and they succeeded. It's prog rock even to a degree on a few tracks. This is worth owning if you love music from this era and as time goes on this is the music that will survive unlike the sad electronic junk of the less talented bozos who are often played today.
on 6 November 2012
Having spent most of my life listening to classic rock and heavy rock, I've recently started listening to The Hollies. I had really remembered them only from their many hit singles in the 1960s and 1970s - and I thought that they had written only a small number of songs. What I'd never realised was that The Hollies composed almost every song on every album from the mid 1960s to the mid/late 1970s. "Distant Light" is full of brilliant strong gutsy memorable songs sung with great feeling by Allan Clarke and excellent guitar by Tony Hicks - both very underrated musicians. Terry Sylvester also plays great guitar. Bobby Elliott is a superb drummer and the bassist Bernie Calvert plays some fantastic keyboard solos.
on 14 October 2015
I have always liked this ever since it first came out
on 18 June 2014
Bought this and Another Night together.
Happy with both.
Some good songs that I already knew as well as some one that I did not know.
Would be happy to recommend them both to Hollies fans or people who enjoy 70s music.
on 31 March 2010
I love this album very much-rich in lyrics, great electric acoustic, folk, rock,-Probably the best Hollies album everDistant Light
on 1 February 2015
Some different types of songs - a few took getting used to and some I am not too keen on.
on 27 March 2015
even more memories
on 28 March 2010
relaxing and well instrumended , a classic hollies album with a few well-known songs!I enjoyed.
on 1 April 2012
Had not heard this before, but thought I would get it, and I really like. Very gentle music and a lovely record. Good old Hollies.
on 1 October 2002
I agree with the other reviewer this is by far the Hollies finest hour during there carer, they are showing the world what they are really made of , long gone of the day's of the late 60's Carry Ann and king midus in reverse , this is telling people that they want to be taken seriously !!!!
Every track on this album is 210% one of my favourite tracks apart from long cool woman in a black dress has to be the stonker HOLD ON what a track I must say, basically Terry has fitted in quite well into the group from the days of Graham Nash I think that Terry Sylvester is a better replacement to graham Nash .........
There next album 1972 Romany is another one which is along the same lines as this one but with out Alan Clark allot of people like or dis-like this album personally I think Romany is just as good ok it's with out Alan Clark but I think it may have been for the best at that time because it allows for the rest of the band to show people that the Holles is not JUST ALAN CLARK but Tony, Terry Bobby and Bernie ...With Michael Rickford along they sound like Crosby Stills and Nash wow[...]
After these two albums they move on and yes they do some great work but some how not like the early 70' one like these.
My favourite period of the group would have to be between 1969 AND 1973...
To any body looking at this just buy it and listen to the Hollies at there best and this is real music unlike today's crap!!!! Yes I mean that Hearsay rubbish ow go away do us all a favour and the rest of pop idols as well!!!!!