Customer reviews

Yellow [CD 1]
Format: Audio CD|Change

Yellow is a strange one, to be sure. Well, Coldplay are a strange band. In today's culture, where upbeat pop-rock like Blink182 has infiltrated the ranks of the youth music market, it's odd to find an indie band having a particularly successful career.
Coldplay deserve it.
Yellow is definitely their best song (ignore those who say it's Trouble; Trouble's great, to be sure, but definitely not as touching as this). Crushed-out and definitely heartfelt, this song expresses love in a way I wouldn't have thought possible.
Attempting not to go too deeply into my personal life, this song is one that made me cry every day during a particularly stressful week, because the heavy bassline and simple tune (coupled with the wonderful, lyrical singing) is an absolute joy to listen to.
Assuming, of course, that you want to cry...
on 14 May 2001
I woke up this morning. I could hear birds singing in a tree. The sun was shining and my radio alarm had just woken me up. I heard Yellow by Coldplay and I knew it was time for breakfast.
Coldplay have kept it simple, yet it's worked well. Lyrically this song just fits a nice pattern, and the gentle music accompanies it only too well. This track is the highlight on the amazing Parachutes LP. The future is bright, the future is Yellow.
There are some songs you hear and instantly find yourself singing along to, they leave an impression in your mind. There are very few records that sound even better each time you hear them, even if you hear them non-stop, and Yellow by Coldplay is one of those records.
Superb. Just like their album.
Review By: The King Of George's Castle.
on 16 October 2000
I think our music fan from Scotland is very wrong. This single and indeed the whole LP Parachutes, are without dought the best and freshest sounds to come out this century. The use of instruments and combined with Chris Martin's vocals leave you spellbound. I would not only suggest you buy the LP, but the EP, The Blue Room as well. I only hope they spend time on the follow up LP and not just get it out to please the press.
on 5 December 2004
This has to be one of the greatest love songs of all time. If our generation does not appreciate this, posterity will only look back and wonder why? Martin's voice borders on melancholy though he's singin cheerful lyrics. There is a continous tension in the song between sadness and happiness..the high piano keys against the heavy bassline..the pain, the uncertainty, the joys all merged together in a chorus 'and it was called yellow'
on 15 September 2000
This has to be one of the top single releases of the year. Originally making music on an independent label, Coldplay have been quite rightly picked up by the great Parlophone label. Their indie/pop/rock/folk sound is quite unique and they seem to combine the best elements of music. Chris Martin has a beautiful voice, and its tinged with the falsetto elements and perfectly suited to the song, Yellow. You can actually hear the seperate instruments, unlike many rock songs. They come together as a team and create this hopeful, bright, beautiful sound. Well done to them on this great single, which after having bought, made me buy the great debut LP, Parachutes.
on 28 March 2013
I was looking to add a bit of 21st century music to my collection, which had largely stopped evolving in the early 90s, and I'd read quite a few things (positive and negative) that made me think I might like Coldplay. I googled their ten best tracks and bought a couple of them with an Amazon freebie voucher.

My conclusion: if you're like me - all time fave bands Zeppelin, early Madness and Faces - I don't think Coldplay will do much for you. It all seemed rather banal - monotonous drumbeat, pedestrian rhythm section, a very shallow and un-complex sound altogether. Possibly the lyrics were deep and profound, but to be honest I couldn't be bothered to listen to them as the vocalist sounded bored. So I guess I'll keep looking for a 21st century band to love.

Chances ar
on 9 June 2009
This song is quite bad... the melody is boring, heavy like a sick mule. The lyrics, as far as I understand them... full of emptiness.
But the album has a lot a very very good songs, I consider this first album as their best one.
Very strange how different are the moods of people here regarding this song.
Let's be objective, this one is poor.
on 2 October 2000
The song is great, in a indie, rockie, depressing knda way. I did however make the mistake of buying the exceedingly average album, Parachutes. Don't be fooled, this song is the pinnacle of their music, but saying that, many bands would kill to have a pinnacle as high as this one.
on 23 March 2001
it's ben such a long time before i heard such a beautiful music.although i'm still a teenage, i found the melody captured my soul when i first heard.i hope them will continue to play such a wonderful music.
on 25 February 2006
Should be called blue because they sound depressing as ever! the lyrics are awful and annoying! just go back to your westlife albums and stop thinking your a rock fan? this isn't rock greatness at all!! I bet coldplay wished they wrote u2s tunes! no chance, only talent make great tunes! so shut up you trends for giving this a 5? so you think this is as good as tunes such as Sunday Bloody sunday?? or Pride? give me a break boreplay fans