Customer reviews

on 16 April 2002
For many years I avoided Bjork at all costs. I think it was a combination of her heavily publicised eccentricity and my own personal fear of music that dared to break out from the realms of convention. I'm glad to say that this was all in my uneducated early teens when I went along with the crowds.
Now I listen to a more eclectic set of music with particular interests in underground dance and singer/songwriters. My first experience with Bjork was in the film 'Dancer in the Dark' and I have since collected all her albums. 'Homogenic' has become a particular favourite of mine as I feel it is the most emotionally wrought of all her work. Despite the heavy use of electronic and synthesised instrumentation, the music feels completely naturalistic and lyrical.
It would be hard to name my favourite tracks but I have a particular soft spot for 'Hunter', the first track, which feels so intensely personal that the listener is instantly drawn onto Bjork's wavelength. My other favourite is 'Pluto' which is possibly the most daring and audacious compositions I have heard for a long time. The harsh, electronic noises that are used will not instantly be to all tastes (apart from perhaps Aphex Twin fans). However, trust me you will grow to treasure it, even if you only reserve it for angry days.
Sometimes thrilling, occasionally disturbing, always refreshing, Bjork's third solo studio album is a rewarding and continually surprising work of genius. Miss at your peril!!!!
on 8 March 2017
Björk's magnum opus in my opinion. Alarm Call is especially wonderful. Hunter and Bachelorette are other favourites of mine, as well as Joga (I especially liked the sampling of Iceland's sounds of nature used in the breakdown.) The sweeping strings combined with beats simplistic in sound yet complex in nature makes for an overall transcendental experience.
on 6 June 2017
I just received this amazing cd, arrived in perfect conditions.
Greetings from Mexico
review image
on 15 May 2017
Excellent
on 26 August 2016
Whenever you listen to Bjoerks albums, you experience unique music in every concern. Her albums are mostly a deep act of authentic creation of experiences and emotions. "All is full of love" is one very, very beautiful track, the video version on the Best Of album I find even more moving. It tells us, that beautiful things are all around everybody, you just have to trust it. The more beauty one will see, the more beauty can reveal. I once read, that this song had something to do with some great Spring day, and her happiness experiencing it. That is a very beautiful picture. Seeing a beautiful day, and feeling that good things are there. Everybody has to believe in this, it is so important. Love can be so diverse, a smile, a nice thought, knowing that things can be good. Listening to this album, I put sometimes this track in the endless loop, and it stays beautiful - probably one of her most harmonious and positively radiating ones, at least for my feeling.
on 3 October 2016
Bjork Is Simply Rare - She has a unique ability to impress me every time and considering that for many years I negated her music thinking it was too commercial for me I have come back to opening my mind and I am glad I did. I just visited the London Exhibition of Bjork which featured a interactive show at Somerset House which blew me away. Once I left I decided to pop into the shop and grab this album. Very well produced deep and moody beats with complexed styles and of course great lyrics by herself. I am certain that I am going to buy all of her music and I am fully restored as a Bjork fan. I think it is a bit like Radiohead for me in that, they are globally well known and that usually puts me off but, I have gradually learned to appreciate their material. Anyway, back to Bjork - I think if you truly appreciate her work you cannot fail to appreciate this.
This album shows a maturity and confidence missing from the earlier Debut and Post. Bjork mixes electronic and acoustic sounds with her own unique voice in an ethereal blend of sound. There is a stunning warmth and depth to these recordings. They show an artist at the peak of her powers producing some of the most original music around. Breathtaking.
on 1 June 2001
As Homogenic is still one of my most listened albums in 2001, it must have some staying power, especially for someone as fickle as myself.
The album, a mix of electronica, strings and industrial rhythms is unique for its genre. The immaculate Joga, through to the harsh techno punk of Pluto, each song is complex, not to be listened but to be explored. Highlights include Joga, 5 years and the simple 6-note-scales-hook of Immature. Ending with all is All is full of love, possibly not as good as the video version, as it does free-fall but still enlightening all the same......
Excellent album - would recommend but take into account that it is quite 'heavy'. But still, an absolute classic.....
From the sounds of Bjork's recent New York gig in a church environment, featuring choirs, harps and harpischords, it looks like the next album Vespertine might be almost as excellent.
on 7 December 2015
The rating is not for the music which is brilliant. Will not buy vinyl from Amazon as every album full of scratches appalling
on 15 February 2007
Homogenic has something few records manage and that is both originality and vision from the artist. You can listen to it now, nearly 10 years since release, and still be truly wowed by this creative vision - that makes it a bona fide classic, in the same way someone listening to Beethoven's key symphonies for the first time.

One of the best things is that it's far better as a complete work rather than a collection of tracks (obviously, hence the title) and you really owe it to yourself to sit and listen to the whole album in one go. I would rather have this whole album as a desert island disk than a collection of favourite songs.