on 14 August 2001
I bought this for my 8 year old (age range specified as 6-10 on disc). I buy a lot of cd roms for the kids and had only ever read good reviews of this one so thought I would give it a go. My daughter had it finished in 20 minutes!!! She had completed the time trail, with its work book style questions and had found the mad professor (the object of the mission). I could not believe that that was it - I thought she had missed a section of the menu - but no.My daughter was so disappointed (so was I) she felt it had been no fun (the questions were mere comprehension of bits of text that the narrator read to you) and the animation clips were poor (eg. a tiny mummy pops out of the coffin). If you want to buy a history disc I would suggest Where in time is Carmen Sandiego - great graphics, wonderful logic puzzles, a good challenge and it has longevity. The disc took five hours to complete and has been played again and again since.(it is also now a budget title and the same price as become a history explorer). This disc was a real stinker - I can't imagine my 5 year old or three year old ever wanting to play it. I could see a primary school finding it a useful teaching aid, but as a disc to use at home its a no, no!
0Comment| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 25 January 2006
A complete waste of money as it doesn;t load if you have XP. Have downloaded appropriate drivers and patches (after hours trying and with a very frustrated 6 year old getting upset) and it still didn't work. Don't buy it.
on 20 December 2000
Become a History Explorer works both as an exciting game ( finding a mad time-travelling professor by visiting each era and landing on the topic where the piece of time trail is hidden) and as an opportunity for a vivid visit to other places and times. Each era has a main map with interesting illustrations on which children can click to discover more. There are quiz type questions after each bit of information and these provide opportunities to win stickers and make a book with them. There are also other engaging activities such as making a self portrait and having a photo taken at a site in each era. There are games which reward speed with the mouse. It is less dependent on the child's reading skills than some CDRoms so shouldn't demoralise anyone and will be a boon to those whose curiosity is beyond their years. Good for setting some kind of order on past events - I learned things from it, especially about the Incas.
on 6 December 2013
Coming From Me (10) I Think This Is A Fantastic Game And I Had Hours And Hours Of Fun With It! I Think For Kids (like me) Who Like History, Its A Must-Buy!! :)
on 29 November 2015
Didnt work on windows 7 when it says it should work on 2000 and above. The other discs with similar specs do work on my windows 7.
on 5 November 2014
Great fun for my 8 year old but didn't last long as he'd finished it in a couple of hours.
on 23 April 2016
Excellent, thank you
on 23 November 2002
My son of 6 enjoyed this CD. It is true that sometimes he only paid attention when he knew he was going to get a sticker! He did feel that he learnt something from it too. I would recommend it.