Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 April 2002
This is a real find for anyone who enjoys downtempo dance music but is not really into the macho gun-toting imagery employed by many hip-hop artists.
The songs here are actual songs - gorgeous hooks, beats and melodies that you will remember for a long time.
Aim veer on the slightly spookier side of hip-hop, just listen to the eerily cool swirls of True to Hip Hop, which is wonderfully laidback and has a strong vibe.
Ain't Got Time to Waste is another highlight, although the version on the Cold Water Music EP is possibly slightly funkier.
The song Sail takes on a gentle, wistful, feminine edge due to some excellent female vocals, and is more trip-hop than hip-hop.
Those claiming to be frightened by the song Demonique are perhaps a little easily scared, but it all depends on how much of a horror fan you are. The song contains spoken samples from the brilliant John Carpenter stalk 'n' slash flick Halloween, where Michael Myers' doctor tells the Sheriff that death has come to his little town.
It is a compelling listen, with haunting strings and a creepy choir. Horror hip hop, or possibly goth hop?
Force is a fantastic hip-hop track, with some gorgeous soulful female vocals to soften it up a bit.
All in all, if you fancy lying back with a huge alcoholic beverage and letting some cool sounds wash over you, you could do worse than Cold Water Music. Highly recommended.
on 26 July 2002
Where do I Start? Cold Water Music is impossible to pin down as one particular genre of hip-hop, with some fantastic breakbeat alongside the enchanting vocals of guest Kate Rogers (who reminds me slightly of Dido) and the absolute pinnacle of hip-hop perfection that is 'Ain't Got Time To Waste', featuring YZ, this album hits the mark on so many levels. The title track, 'Cold Water Music' bears the mark of a true musical genius with a captivating melody that is perfect for relaxing to. There seems to be a tune here to suit any mood, with a full range of hip-hop on display. Intelligent, soulful, uplifting, one of the best all-round british talents you will ever hear, this is an album to treasure.
on 24 February 2001
This is the type of album that I want to show my children when I'm old and grey, and say "This is the type of music I lived for when I was your age." This album is a truly suberb debut effort, from the hard and fast beats of "Journey to the end of the night" to the frightening realness of "demonique." In fact, when I first got the album, I drove into the woods, stopped, turned my lights off and listened to Demonique to see how fear-provoking it could be, and I won't be doing that again! Tracks like "The force" and "No time to waste" are so good and yet so far off the beaten path of convensional hip-hop. The vocals by Kate Rogers on "Sail" are beautiful and haunting and "From here to fame" is a song I love to play whilst driving at night. I cannot wait untill the release of the next Aim album!
on 11 May 2015
What you have to remember with AIM is that he is the kind of producer that has that unique UK sound so, of course there is the hip hop influence and cracking breaks which i always come to expect from AIM but on top of that he has the British twist on the sounds which only we can do best. What I mean is that in the UK we have an almost eccentric take on underground sounds which captures more emotion and sometimes a vunerable sound almost if that makes sense? Im not on drugs either I am speaking from my years of listening since the late 80's of certain types of beats. Emotionally charged beats you will love this album.
on 2 August 2007
To paraphrase Ugly Duckling I cannot stand the 'ringtone, gangsta rap crap'. Wonderful then it was when AIM was discovered.
Slick, bassy, melodic, uplifting and introspective - This album is fantastic (Who out there could fashion a haunting & murky tune married with HALLOWEEN quotes!?). If ever there was a genre for the walkman...this would be a champion of it. Makes me walk just to get into the beat stride!
on 5 January 2008
WOW!!! This CD is superb and I cannot believe that no one has written a review before until now. If any of you music lovers are into ambient electronic music such as Royksopp or Air and you also like cool hip hop beats such as Guru's Jazamatazz then this album is a MUST. It is a fusion of hip hop beats with soulful electronic beats. Trust me, if you like what I have read, buy the CD you will not be disappointed. Love and Peace!!!
on 8 September 2013
I've listened to Cold Water Music, Hinterland and Flight 602 over and over and over... which brings me to the one serious problem with Aim... I've found nothing else out there that hits the spot quite like they do...

Just too good.
on 15 February 2000
I bought this album in Fopp, Edinbrough, and ever since it has not left my player. The tracks 'cold water music' and 'the force' are two heavily chilled out tunes, whilst 'sail' featuring Kate Rogers is bitterly beautiful and offers a lyrical tranquility no-one can deny. The real steel in the deal is provided by 'true to hip hop' and 'demonique'-the latter possesing a vibe that could even scare Mike Tyson! N.B 'deminique' is not to be listened to with the lights switched off! Just give this guy a try and be prepared to be taken on a journey.
on 10 March 2001
Andy Turner pulls off an eclectic contemporary masterpiece with his succesfull formula of hip hop' soul beats, huge strings and orchestral samples with smoothly drawn rhymes. If you believe that word of mouth is the best promotion, almost everyone i know was stunned when this album went on my turntables. It does have weaker moments such as the title track but it still crops up on BBC1 for the football ads!! For a truly unique hip hop experience, check "here to fame" and "A tree a rock and a cloud", moving hip hop full of depth and sentiment. And to scare yourself silly check "demonique", dont listen when u got the Paranoia-word!
on 10 March 2008
I first heard of Aim through one of his tracks being on Tony Hawk Pro Skater, and I was instantly hooked.

He combines mellow beats, ambient sounds and some awesome MCs to produce truly stunning, intelligent hiphop that will get you nodding along within seconds. If you've ever grooved along to Rjd2, DJ Shadow or Nightmares on Wax then you will enjoy this, if not - where have you been?! Aim produces perfect laid back, summer evening hiphop that never fails to please.

Words can't do justice to how good an album this is, just buy it and find out for yourself! I 100% promise you will not regret it.