on 11 October 2002
This product is woeful. On every and all criteria it falls down. The blurb states 'if you don't have the time to beome fluent but want the basics in a hurry'... That sounded good to me, but it became obvious quite quickly that the people who had designed this were not only very ignorant of language learning, but I suspect may have not even have been Polish.
Let's start with the good parts, the user interface was quite pleasant and straightforward. However the exercises are extremely tedious and do nothing to form associations within the mind - the games are infuriating with extreme repitition employed as a learning tool. In the end I wrote the words down and tried learning them parrot-fashion.
It was then the software went even further down in my estimations - having consulted my Polish girlfriend about some of the words, she informed me that many of them were written in a specific gender and it wasn't specified (so when asking to hire a car I was using the term a woman would use, moglybym etc). Moreover, some words were completely wrong e.g. klucsze for keys is inocorrect. Finally I had to shake my head at the choice of vocabulary, the best example of this I could find and they were legion, was in the food section. In a section on fruit and vegetables they didn't include the Polish word for cabbage and included the Polish word for chopsticks!!! I rest my case!
Stay well away, you'll learn nothing here.
11 Comment| 92 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 13 June 2002
Simply excellent!
The interface is superb, very well put together and very user friendly.
I bought this cd based on the previous review and it did not disappoint. TalkNow! Offers a very simple and very effective formula; several categories each consisting of a simple tutorial followed by two tests, one easy and one hard. At the end there is a general test on all of the categories, leading to a certificate. Very simple, extremely effective and very enjoyable. Totally addictive and highly recommended!
on 5 June 2001
After struggling with other methods of learning Polish this CD-Rom was a breath of fresh air. The entertaining and fun approach made the learning process easier and more interesting. In less than 3 hours my 9 year old son and myself had started to learn the basics of the Polish Language. I would recomend this product to anyone who wants to learn the language quickly and easily.
on 30 April 2010
Talk Now! is very very basic. You only learn individual words and the occasional phrase and will have no idea how to form sentences after using it. It is particularly light on verbs and gives virtually no grammar. It could be argued that you learn in the same way a baby does - you point at something and someone tells you what it is and keep doing so until you remember the word. You also have the option of seeing the word written down. But unlike learning from boring books, this one is fun with amusing characters (I liked the croupier especially), good games and nice graphics. The games vary in difficulty from the easy colours to the tricky time round. Ultimately you won't learn Polish with this course but you will learn a lot of useful words and you will actually enjoy learning. Certainly better than nothing if you are going on holiday.
on 6 May 2013
i have given this away to somebody who is studying polish, very good for learning and i learned a lot from it