Parachutes
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 29 October 2014
I am a fan of the old sound of Coldplay and that's why I have been collecting their albums before Viva la vida. A few years ago I bought X & Y due to it having my favourite Coldplay song on it - Fix you, and I was impressed with the album. Last year I purchased A rush of blood to the head and really liked that album too. So after working my way backwards the only thing left was for me to buy this album which features the classic singles Yellow and Trouble on it.
After the band released a couple of EP's - The safety EP and The blue room EP (which also features an early version of Don't panic), this debut album was released on 10th July 2000.

The album cover is a picture of an orange coloured globe apparently purchased from WH Smith for £10, which contrasts with the black background. The album has 10 songs and features a hidden bonus track.

Don't panic starts off and it's not the Coldplay you expect. It's based around acoustic guitar and it's a ballad with a chorus you're likely to recognise. Shiver comes in like an alternative rock track but slows down for the verse and has a quirky guitar riff between Martin's vocals. The overall sound is stronger and the lyrics of yearning are good. Spies is another acoustic song with soft vocals, a consistent sound with decent guitar and a high pitched vocal for the short chorus. It's pretty good and is the (naturally) longest track here at 5:18. The middle 8 gets big and intense but it comes back to the soft sound it began with, with Martin squeaking "they're just spies!". Sparks is another acoustic track with a melancholy sound and a sober tone. Yellow is the best track here and 1 of Coldplay's most famous songs because it's the song that got them recognised. This song is upbeat, has a great chorus and features electric guitar.

Trouble is surely the 2nd best and another famous track from them with a great piano riff you should immediately recognise. It's a strong song with Martin asking for forgiveness stating "I never meant to cause you trouble". Parachutes takes us back to a quieter, slower sound with acoustic guitar carrying this. It's incredibly short at just 47 seconds! High speed is a bit heavier, once again with a guitar riff wrapped around the vocals. It's still got the quiet, relaxed sound that this album has throughout. We never change is another acoustic track with a soft tone and electric guitar wrapped around for effect. It's another really laid back, sombre track. I think we've had a bit too much of that already in my opinion. It would be nice to have more upbeat, exciting tracks. Everything's not lost is a slow piano driven track with some cool guitar. It's another track where Martin sounds like he's complaining, with his pathetic earnest. It's a decent closer with a sound we've got used to by now. After a gap there's a 1:37 hidden track called Life is for living which is a folk sounding acoustic track with echo-y vocals at the beginning which gets cleaner and features what sounds like an organ.

If you don't like soft acoustic songs then you are not going to enjoy most of this album! Besides the 2 standout tracks which are the singles Yellow and Trouble, this album is very soft, downbeat and quiet and you are going to have to have an appreciation for that style to like this album all the way through. I like it and it's definitely worth listening to but I just wish there was more variety to it because then it would have been great not just good.
on 21 February 2018
When I first "Yellow" all those years ago, I just knew that this band was going to be special. I saw them live twice and will remember "Yellow" being played while large yellow balloons bounced around across the audience.

There was a rawness about Coldplay that I think has slowly been lost as they have pŕogressed. I couldn't afford to see them these days even if I could get hold of a ticket.

But this is a great album.
on 17 February 2018
one of those albums i keep coming back to whenever i'm anxious or stressed. the opening track: 'don't panic' has lines such as 'we live in a beautiful world, yes we do' really make me stop and take a deep breath and go on a walk. crazy to think that it's almost 18 years old. but it really is timeless, beautiful and calming. the tracks aren't complicated - and that's what makes it such an unforgettable album. i can find no other album that is as authentic and true to my own life as this one, and i recommend that everyone listens to it, and takes 41 minutes out of their day to just breathe.
on 7 February 2018
Wonderful Album.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 1 October 2013
Although Chris Martin claims not to be a fan of the band's debut release, I found 'Parachutes' a most agreeable listening experience and even though I can hardly claim to be Coldplay's biggest fan there are some very well constructed songs here including 'Yellow' and 'Trouble'; buy this and the group's other early releases 'A Rush Of Blood To The Head' and 'X&Y' to see how things progress nicely.
on 9 August 2017
Another classic album by Coldplay
on 17 October 2015
Brilliant album, the very best of Coldplay, in my opinion !, all their very early songs including Yellow, which for all Coldplay fans is a favourite ! The sound is incredible, and no remixing which can be a problem with older albums.A real must for all Coldplay fans !
on 4 April 2018
Their best album, before they started playing repetitive cheesy pop !
on 30 September 2017
I am a fan of coldplay, really good album, love their older work. Personally dislike their newer songs
on 30 March 2018
Great album and good value