The Shadow [DVD] [1994]
Format: DVD|Change

on 17 August 2015
The film may seem a bit dated now, along the lines of Dick Tracy for example. However, from the first time I saw it I could not wait to get it in ever better quality until now in bluray. Excellent HD transfer both in visuals and sound although the sound deserves a special mention. Alec Baldwin is superb as The Shadow. This film shows, as did The Hunt for Red October, that Alec Baldwin should have become a major action star. Instead, he became a brilliant character actor and a great comic actor.
One person found this helpful
VINE VOICEon 22 June 2010
This entertaining film based on the classic pulp fiction character is surprisingly good despite some terribly cheesy moments. The film follows Lamont Cranston as he uses his mental powers to fight crime in 1930's New York as the mysterious Shadow but when the last descendent of Genghis Khan with similar powers comes to town looking to finish his ancestors conquest of the world.

I do have something of a soft spot for this film as although it is terribly cheesy and camp in places it is still never less than entirely entertaining. The film stars such as Alec Baldwin, Ian McKellen and Tim Curry all look like they are having a great time making the film. The special effects are somewhat hit and miss with some being very good for the time while others have dated poorly.

Overall, although I have never read the original pulp fiction the film is based on, I still enjoy this film and would recommend it to anyone looking for a nice light and fun film.
on 28 July 2016
Really good pressing, much better than the German version which I purchased before. Soundtrack is great but I would have though that in line with a lot of films released in the 90s it would have used a more aggressive mix to show off the then new DTS audio format. Perhaps Universal may change this in the future.
on 28 August 2017
Such an underrated superhero classic. Clearly it suffered the same fate as other period piece films such as Dick Track, The Rocketeer and The Phantom for not performing well at the box office. But in the end, they ended up being popular with audiences and turned into instand cult classics. In my opinion these films has captured the spirit of pulp fiction cinema of the 1930s with true honest to goodness flair of superheroics. And I am glad they are made.
on 12 June 2015
The quality of the Blu-ray is very good; there is also a twenty minute special feature of interviews and Alec Baldwin and others.
2 people found this helpful
on 8 June 2016
Loved it when it first came out. Alec Baldwin plays suave superbly. The plot is a bit far fetched but the art deco backddop makes up for the general lack of intelligent script. The Shadow is on my must own list.
on 2 May 2010
The Shadow is a movie I was introduced to by a friend about 14 years ago, and I really like it. I bought it on Laserdisc back then, and now I've got it on DVD. But although the movie is in 16:9 widescreen, why have they compressed the image with black bars on the left and right during the opening scenes (the ones with the opening credits on them)... It doesn't entirely spoil the film but it does look very weird!

Otherwise the transfer does show its age a little with dust, etc, on the original print, and some artifacts around the smoke effects that are used extensively throughout. Otherwise it's all looking good!
One person found this helpful
on 7 November 2012
For some reason I never went to see this movie on the big screen in 1994, my loss. I have seen snippets of it on TV over the years and have always meant to sit and watch the whole movie. Finally saw it on a free movie channel and WOW! I had to have it and I had to have it WIDESCREEN! I live in the USA and purchased this film at Amazon UK. It's entertainment folks, don't pick it apart too much... Mr. Alec Baldwin IS "The Shadow", perfect for the role. Great film, great acting by the rest of the star-studded cast, great music by Jerry Goldsmith, great sets, just WOW. Too bad they never made the sequel or sequels so we could see more character devolpment. Mr. Baldwin, would you reprise your role?? Sadly it wouldn't be the same without the wonderful Peter Boyle as Moe, but... there's always hope for a sequel. This film does have a huge cult following, me included. If you have 2 hours, watch it, don't let your mind be clouded by the naysayers who gave this movie negative reviews... Find out what evil lurks in the hearts of men.... watch "The Shadow".....
on 19 July 2017
Love this film! It's got a mixture of intrigue, romance. And it's got Alec Baldwin in it, what more could you ask for!
on 13 April 2015
loved this film when it first come out and had to get it on blu-ray. The transfer to HD 1080p has went well and still love the film to this day.
2 people found this helpful