Customer reviews

The Larry Sanders Show: The Best Episodes [DVD] [2000]
Format: DVD|Change

on 10 June 2007
I agree with other reviewers: this collection is by no means the best of Larry Sanders, but it's still way ahead of most sitcoms. I can't recall which were my favourites, but one or two on this DVD were eye-wateringly funny, whilst the others were good and a nice reminder of a series I discovered by chance and grew to love very quickly. Sound quality poor but just turn the volume up....and don't miss those intros!
2 people found this helpful
on 5 October 2017
CLASSIC SHOW
on 13 February 2017
So disappointing that I put the CD in the trash. The unfunniest comedy I have ever seen.
on 24 August 2016
Larry Sanders was a brilliant series.
on 30 July 2015
Just love Larry Sanders! Great dvd - can't beat it for good laugh!
on 18 July 2015
Clever and funny.
on 20 August 2014
Great price fast delivery
on 30 March 2003
This really was a great show, that never caught on here in the UK. This DVD does the show a lot of justice. However, be warned as there is a lot of swearing!! Whilst, Garry Shandling and Rip Torn are excellent in their roles as Larry (the host of a spoof talk show) and Artie (his producer), for me Jeffrey Tambor (who plays Shandling's side kick Hank Kingsley), steels most of the scenes he is in. Hank you see is a very shallow and paranoid person which has comical outcomes in some of the episodes (Re; Hanks Sex Tape and I was a Teenage Lesbian) which are both included on the DVD. I've been fortunate to see many episodes of this fantastic comedy and it never ceases to amaze me how celebrities and film stars go on the show sending themselves up (or are they really playing themselves?), the beauty is that you never quite know. Don't fall into the trap that the novelty is in that big stars appear playing themselves. The scripts are strong too. It shows how Hollywood can be a very shallow place, and what lengths people will go to in order to make themselves look good. If you are not familiar with this show and can put up with the swearing then this DVD in my opinion is an ideal introduction and worth the investment. My only critism is that it is not in widescreen format, but to me even that is worth sacraficing!!!
20 people found this helpful
on 11 January 2011
I absolutely loved this show when I was in my teens. In fact I would say it was my number one sitcom at the time (and possibly ever). Unfortunately the production quality of this DVD and, sadly, the material of the show are now showing their age. I think we need to wait for a remastered version to totally appreciate the show; in the meantime just go to YouTube and view some of the best bits.
One person found this helpful
|22 Comments|Report abuse
VINE VOICEon 26 November 2000
Ever since the Garry Shandling show in the 80s, it was clear that the man is a genius. The Larry Sanders show takes the idea a stage further and to new heights. Garry as Larry is paranoid, bitter, jealous, resentful and insecure. Jeffrey Tambor is great in his role as Hank and Janine Garofalou (check spelling) is excellent, but the relevation is Rip Torn as Arty, the producer. Every show makes me laugh out loud and it is a great shame that it has not caught on in Britain, relegating it to late night viewing. The unrestrained cursing may be a contributory factor, but this all adds to the realism and illustrates the awful character of the players. More releases on DVD please.
5 people found this helpful