Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 15 March 2017
OK
on 7 December 2013
In a half-hearted effort to broaden my musical horizon, this album (Anastacia's debut offering) made its way into the disc player of my laptop. Believe or not Windows Media Player has labelled the genre of music on this CD as "Dance." I don't think you can refer to this material as dance, but "Not That Kind" does have some lively moments within its 12 tracks that make it worth at least a short and curious gander.

The thumbs-up stuff. I'M OUTTA LOVE (No.6 in the UK in 2000, and No.1 in Australia) is a lively piece you'll come across early on. The enthusiastic tempo and drum work really well to make this one of the better songs on NTK. WHO'S GONNA STOP THE RAIN is another highlight with some elegant Spanish-like acoustic guitar work to go with a nice beat, while the backing vocals add depth to this enjoyable tune. LATE LAST NIGHT is a personal favourite of mine. With a good tempo, good pop beat and nice flowing lyrics -especially in the chorus parts- it's grown on me in such a short numbers of hear-throughs. Very nice.

The thumbs-down stuff. COWBOYS AND KISSES has a mild western vibe going on with it. It's a nice idea, but in places the electric guitar sounds selfish and tries to drown out the other instruments as well as Anastacia's vocals. Also it just feels a little too drawn out to be considered anymore than OK. I ASK OF YOU on the whole sounds rather untidy and doesn't really know how to draw you in; and it's a similar scenario for the ballad, ONE MORE CHANCE. There's simply not enough quality there to make you want to listen to it just one more time.

Not That Kind is an OK album, but no more than OK. Certainly the songs mentioned in the second paragraph are worth a solid number of plays, but such moments happen too infrequently to merit a positive 4 or 5-Star score. That said, if you find this album anywhere for very good deal, it's worth a play from time to time.
on 18 February 2001
Anastacia is a very talented artist, and this album shows that she is. The two hit singles, "I'm Outta Love" and "Not That Kind" feature in the album. The song "Cowboys & Kisses" is one of my faviourite ones on the album because the sensual sound make me feel warm. But the song that I enjoy the most is "Wishing Well" because this medium tempo tune has a real boost for waking you up, by putting it on in the morning i feel awake and ready to goto work.
on 16 October 2009
50% of the album is good. Her voice is great on all of them. I particularly like the ballads on this album. I ask of you and One more chance are excellent.Includes I'm outa love, probably her best single to date. Other tracks include Whos gonna stop the rain, & Black roses. Both are quite good, the rest I'm afraid are mediocre and forgettable. Great voice deserving of better material
on 9 July 2005
All my friends say I'm obsessed with Anastacia which is true. I have all of her CD's and posters. I bought this CD in Australia a month ago and haven't stopped playing it. I'm Outta Love and Not That Kind are probably the best two songs although they're all good. I would really recommend this and Freak of Nature and Anastacia. ALL ANASTACIA FANS MUST HAVE!
on 6 September 2000
Anastacia Newkirk,launch her first album "Not that Kind" full of energy, with R&B, pop, country, funky and rock influences. Her prodigious black voice inside a white and blond girl is a miracle. On the album you must find her most known song and first single I'm Outta love and other songs like Not that kind where we discover again the high quality of her voice, and Cowboys and Kisses nearest to the country sound. Definitely is an album positive and necesarious
on 17 November 2008
Anastasia's subsequent album was on the downhill slope as far as I was concerned - this first album really showcases her vocal abilities, before the marketing men got their say over what she had to put out later to please the mass market.
Here you get songs verging on R and B , and you definitely get funk , in spades , and you get a taste of what Anastasia could sound like if ever she turned to singing blues - not that there's anything resembling blues on the album... but she just has the voice for it... if only she were to do it .. or a live cabaret, perhaps ........... in my dreams !
on 19 February 2001
I bought this CD on a whim. Having heard "Not that Kind" and "I'm Outta Love" I guessed that the rest of the CD would be of a similar quality. I guessed right. There is not a single track on this CD that I do not like. The variance of different styles on this CD is fantastic. "Who's Gonna Stop the Rain" is subdued yet lively compared to the all out brash excitement of the main tracks "Not that Kind" and "I'm Outta Love" makes this CD excellent listening. but don't take my word for it... ...Buy it!
on 3 February 2012
How does a woman can survive during a heartbreak? Well, she's "Not That Kind" is the answer. Anastacia delivered such uplifting singing within entire album. "Not That Kind" is a declaration of independent. It stood against label. It gave us strength. The tracks 'Not That Kind', 'I'm Outta Love', 'Cowboys and Kisses' were made by the original sound of funky R&B by Anastacia. Simply strong debut from the amazing vocalist!
on 18 November 2000
from the moment i heard this cd i knew anastacia was going to make fulfill my every pleasure where r&b, soul and top class femail vocals were concerned im outta love is a strong heavy dance anthem , not that kind is a soulful and fantastic title track cowboys and kisses , black roses and made for loving you are the essence of this ladies roots. if this is her first commercial album and we are led to believe things can only get better, bring on her second,third,fourth and beyond a definite xmas pressy for someone who likes american soul at its best