Format: Audio CD|Change

on 13 August 2001
this cd is great! anastacia has a very powerful voice and the she shows it on her songs:
1) not that kind, powerful song with a cool vibe. 4/5
2) i'm outta love, cool song with a great catchy sound 5/5
3) cowboys and kisses, more laid back compared to the first 2, single version is better but still a good track 3+/5
4) who's gonna stop the rain, a cool song, upbeat yet relaxed, if you listen to the lyrics it makes a lot of sense 5/5
5) love is alive, a fast ballad with a great vibe 4/5
6) i ask of you, a very slow ballad, quite boring, not my kind of song! 2/5
7) wishing well, another ballad but quicker than track 6, but still quite poor 3-/5
8) made for lovin' you, the NEW SINGLE OUT NOW! is great. a cool up-beat positive vibe and a great 1 to listen to 5/5!
9) black roses, a fast ballad with meaningful lyrics, probably my favourite track on the album 5/5!
10) yo trippin', a good song, slightly agressive but cool 4/5
11) one more chance, another ballad quite poor 2/5
12) same old story, ANOTHER ballad but not very good, 2/5
OVERALL A GOOD CD BUT SHOULD HAVE LESS BALLADS. A TOTAL OF 44/60 - a good CD! U MUST BUY IT NOW, I SAID NOW!
VINE VOICEon 19 January 2001
I'd been listening to a lot of Radiohead and Coldplay recently so was tending to get a bit snooty about the 'pop' scene. Then saw the Video for 'I'm Outta Love' whilst on a rare excursion to the Gym. Surely, someone was taking the pi**. That girl could not have that voice. But, true enough, the article was genuine - the song was brilliant (had me rowing energetically in time!!)-and the album is very good. I notice that some reviewers (partic.in U.S) are comparing her to Mariah, Whitney, (and God forbid) Celine. Although Anastacia would no doubt be flattered by such comparisons, I actually detest those artists. Simpering, mushy lyrics (ok there's a few dodgy ones on this album too) and vocal gymnastics in a misguided attempt at conveying emotion are not me at all. All the more reason to take my 4 stars seriously. It may not be helpful to anyone looking to buy the cd, but this girl has something - the look, the style - and most importantly (and sadly lacking in some circles) THE VOICE. If there's any justice in the world, where raw musical talent is rewarded instead of solely on how well you dance a routine on a video, then she's going to be huge. I read somewhere that whilst at the School of Performing Arts in New York she was the only one in her group that couldn't get work! But she's now had the last laugh with a creditable album that's worth a listen. By the way, if you get a chance, check out her live duet with Elton John doing 'Saturday Night's Alright for Fighting' (I think it's on his 'One Night Only' Album). It's a real belter.
on 6 September 2000
Anastacia Newkirk,launch her first album "Not that Kind" full of energy, with R&B, pop, country, funky and rock influences. Her prodigious black voice inside a white and blond girl is a miracle. On the album you must find her most known song and first single I'm Outta love and other songs like Not that kind where we discover again the high quality of her voice, and Cowboys and Kisses nearest to the country sound. Definitely is an album positive and necesarious
on 7 December 2013
In a half-hearted effort to broaden my musical horizon, this album (Anastacia's debut offering) made its way into the disc player of my laptop. Believe or not Windows Media Player has labelled the genre of music on this CD as "Dance." I don't think you can refer to this material as dance, but "Not That Kind" does have some lively moments within its 12 tracks that make it worth at least a short and curious gander.

The thumbs-up stuff. I'M OUTTA LOVE (No.6 in the UK in 2000, and No.1 in Australia) is a lively piece you'll come across early on. The enthusiastic tempo and drum work really well to make this one of the better songs on NTK. WHO'S GONNA STOP THE RAIN is another highlight with some elegant Spanish-like acoustic guitar work to go with a nice beat, while the backing vocals add depth to this enjoyable tune. LATE LAST NIGHT is a personal favourite of mine. With a good tempo, good pop beat and nice flowing lyrics -especially in the chorus parts- it's grown on me in such a short numbers of hear-throughs. Very nice.

The thumbs-down stuff. COWBOYS AND KISSES has a mild western vibe going on with it. It's a nice idea, but in places the electric guitar sounds selfish and tries to drown out the other instruments as well as Anastacia's vocals. Also it just feels a little too drawn out to be considered anymore than OK. I ASK OF YOU on the whole sounds rather untidy and doesn't really know how to draw you in; and it's a similar scenario for the ballad, ONE MORE CHANCE. There's simply not enough quality there to make you want to listen to it just one more time.

Not That Kind is an OK album, but no more than OK. Certainly the songs mentioned in the second paragraph are worth a solid number of plays, but such moments happen too infrequently to merit a positive 4 or 5-Star score. That said, if you find this album anywhere for very good deal, it's worth a play from time to time.
on 18 November 2000
from the moment i heard this cd i knew anastacia was going to make fulfill my every pleasure where r&b, soul and top class femail vocals were concerned im outta love is a strong heavy dance anthem , not that kind is a soulful and fantastic title track cowboys and kisses , black roses and made for loving you are the essence of this ladies roots. if this is her first commercial album and we are led to believe things can only get better, bring on her second,third,fourth and beyond a definite xmas pressy for someone who likes american soul at its best
on 11 August 2004
As debut albums go this one is one of the best. It is clear from the word go that Anastacia has a very powerful voice but she manages use it to make twelve very different tracks. The best tracks are- Not That Kind and the very addictive Cowboys and Kisses.
on 18 February 2001
Anastacia is a very talented artist, and this album shows that she is. The two hit singles, "I'm Outta Love" and "Not That Kind" feature in the album. The song "Cowboys & Kisses" is one of my faviourite ones on the album because the sensual sound make me feel warm. But the song that I enjoy the most is "Wishing Well" because this medium tempo tune has a real boost for waking you up, by putting it on in the morning i feel awake and ready to goto work.
on 16 October 2009
50% of the album is good. Her voice is great on all of them. I particularly like the ballads on this album. I ask of you and One more chance are excellent.Includes I'm outa love, probably her best single to date. Other tracks include Whos gonna stop the rain, & Black roses. Both are quite good, the rest I'm afraid are mediocre and forgettable. Great voice deserving of better material
on 9 July 2005
All my friends say I'm obsessed with Anastacia which is true. I have all of her CD's and posters. I bought this CD in Australia a month ago and haven't stopped playing it. I'm Outta Love and Not That Kind are probably the best two songs although they're all good. I would really recommend this and Freak of Nature and Anastacia. ALL ANASTACIA FANS MUST HAVE!
on 19 March 2001
This album is a genuine piece of music, and deserves to be the hit it is. The music is different to your usual pop and Anastacia has a unique voice which is a breath of fresh air. The first three tracks are amongst the best, but the album does not go downhill from there, unlike so many other albums. On the downside there are a few songs on the album which are a little too slow for my liking, but these still combine Anastacia's fantastic voice with the music. On the whole then this is a fantastic album with a unique artist which shows there's still some truly great artists in this manufactured pop music world.