Amarok [HDCD]
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 19 July 2000
An energetic, passionate, sweeping symphony of music in many moods. Wailing rock guitar, folksie melodies, world-music tones...even an Airfix kit and a Maggie Thatcher impression! This piece carries you on at a considerable pace, non-stop for roughly an hour. The flow from section to section is often quite amazing - yet for all its many different parts the piece holds together and intertwines magnificently. It's a powerful piece, and a happy, triumphant piece. Moving and uplifting. Does away absolutley with any grounds for saying Oldfield's music is 'new age' or 'muzac' - This is a classic in a class of its own. Recognised by Oldfield fans as the masterpiece, try it, for something completely genuine and entirely on its own. But beware - this is mighty powerfull stuff - not for 'cloth eared nincompoops' who prefer easy-listening, three-minute pop songs.
11 Comment| 10 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 18 October 2016
I am an avid fan of Mike Oldfield's earlier albums, from the early Tubular Bells, Islands, Ommadawn, incantations, Five Miles Out, QE2, Discovery and many more.

However, this album bored the life out of me, With very few bits of what I would tag enjoyable listening, the vast past of this album is nothing more than destructive musical noise. I have played this once and will never play it again. This is destined for the bin.

In the future I will look to play the tracks before I buy the album. I advise all to do the same before you undertake to purchase this album.

With so many excellent releases from such a creative and enjoyable artist, I am disappointed that such content ever got released and so many seem to post positive feedback. The depth of my disappointment is why I am sharing my thoughts in this review to help others stop to pause before purchasing.
66 Comments| One person found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 27 November 2014
Simple..This album is mind blowing, do not judge it the first time, it just gets better and better each time you listen to it. The finale is truly awesome, possibly Oldfields gretaest work.
on 26 April 2000
Take away the maggie thatcher voice, & the 'happy' chorus & You have a faultless album, should be played loud, this is what a real musician sounds like, all the instruments are played by Mr Oldfield,his guitar playing is out of this world, and how this man has not got a mention when great guitarists are talked about is beyond me,He has made over 20 albums of real music if you buy this album as a first from Mr Oldfield I gaurantee you will want to buy more.
on 14 July 2006
Since other reviewers already has praised the album i every way I just wan't to add what happened when I bought it:

Being a music lover attracted to many styles of music and a keen listener I spend 1-2 hours a day just listening to my favourites for the moment. I've limited my number of Cd:s +LP:s to 1000 (when I get to many I simply just sell a few).But I think I could be just as happy with just AMAROK - AMAROK is everything and still it's not like anything else!

From the moment I first heard AMAROK I didn't listen to any other music for a year! It's true! It's not embarrasing. AMAROK is....well impossible to describe. Buy it, listen carefully, enjoy. I bought AMAROK on the very day it was released (I think it was in 1989), I got the LP, Cd and the remastered CD. It has been my most played album eversince.
on 8 December 2002
It's hard to describe this album in any other word than 'amazing'... The emotional effect this album has and the skill and imagination Mike has used are awe-inspiring.
Mike's ability to weave a musical story through the use of his emotion-evoking guitar performances always leaves me breathless (not for the whole hour of course, that would be dangerous).
His abilities in evoking the aforesaid emotions are clearly evident in Tubular Bells, TB2, Incantations; however, Amarok is the best of all of them (so far ;o).
Isn't about time Mike gave us another TB2/Incantations/Amarok? Oh yes!
on 26 June 2009
This is Oldfield's masterpiece. A rare thing - an album truly deserving of the description 'unique'. The passion, the skill, the energy! What an uplifting experience!
on 29 September 2004
Oldfield's personal and creative history aside, looking at this album as a stand alone sonic phenomenon and not a reactionary or tongue-in-cheek move on his part, 'Amarok' stands as perhaps the greatest album ever made.

It's either this or 'Ommadawn'.

This sixty minutes (and it is sixty, not fifty) of music immerses the listener in a truly epic onslaught of the most diverse, multi-layered, intricately textured and exquisitely performed sounds I have heard on record. The depth is astounding (a very common response to this music is how much it can be scrutinised and yet continually reveal fresh subtleties) and presents a vast landscape of emotions and perceptions without even the faintest need for lyrics - Oldfield's mastery of every instrument he touches offers far more than any voice could. On good albums, there are always certain points where several factors of melody, harmony, timing, instrumentation and atmosphere combine in an extra special way, give that little something more, and a memorable moment is born. Every constituent segment of 'Amarok' is like this... so much attention and vision has been put into shaping each theme, each change, making it a rather challenging but supremely rewarding listen.

While the running length of this piece will intrigue some, the gentle sounds will suit some people as easy listening, and Oldfield's unmistakable guitar playing will surely impress your friends, 'Amarok' meets standards far above and beyond this as a serious masterwork of the musical artform.

A must for all mortals of worth - music doesn't come much better than this, and you've heard nothing like it before.
on 18 September 2003
I first purchased this album a few years ago, when going through a real "Oldfield" phase. I listened to it, and put it back in the drawer... Now, Amarok is among the top albums that I posses.It is so different to anything else. Completely uncommercial. It teaches you to sit and listen, and take in what you hear. I guarantee that with each listen, you will hear and feel something that you had'nt before, be it from a car driving through a valley (yes, it's in there-about ten minutes in),to the depth and clarity of a bass.
If your like me, and you hate all this commercial pop stuff, but love your instrumentals, get this - it really is something different.
on 17 April 2012
When this album came out in 1990 I was fast approaching the opinion that Mike Oldfield was heading into musical oblivion. His previous album, 1989's Earth Moving, was a rather bland collection of competent soft rock songs that were miles away from the complex instrumentals that he had become famous for producing. I didn't hold out much hope that Amarok would be much better. Luckily I was very wrong as he managed to do a complete U turn against form and produce the most eclectic, interesting, complex and eccentric music of his career. The whole thing is brimming with great tunes, varied instrumentation, complex layers and great energy. It is a perfect example of English eccenricity that you will either loathe or love. If you love it (as I do) you will never tire of it and you will play it until your ears bleed. Only the sublime Ommadawn manages to pip this one. Buy it and be amazed!!