Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 11 February 2015
Wish I could give some of these things 4.5/5... it is perfect in that they were unbeatable at this time and to see a contemporary Tommy performed (as near as) in full, is wonderful as it's my favourite studio album of theirs... I still prefer the recorded version though. The highlights are the non-Tommy tracks for me - Young Man Blues is wonderful to watch and I Don't Even Know Myself is better (IMO) than the studio version; almost another mini-opera from Pete (even if it's only a few minutes in length!) Picture and sound are good for the era and everyone who is something of a Who fan needs to own this. It's not perfect but there's not a lot other Who performances on DVDs that comes close to it.
on 20 September 2016
Amazing dynamic performance by one of the band's that defined the 60s. At the peak of their form the who move from power to soulful with effortless ease. I don't know what they were on at 2 in the morning. All I remember was that when they played My Generation the stars formed into ranks outlining a golden figure in the sky with a solid gold hem that was my generation. Beautifully filmed and edited really captures the power and anarchy of the band. Thanks guys.
on 19 May 2003
I bought this dvd after months of listening to "Who's next" (which I was given as a birthday present) and was a little worried by the lack of material I knew (as it was flimed in 1970 and WHos's next was released almost exactly a year on)and the fact that footage of old bands (The Beatles aside)is often out dated and difficult to relate to. However I was plesantly suprised to find how good this was, aside from the limited camera and sound capablities of the day and the sometimes doggy harmonies, THIS AN IMENSE PERFORMANCE and a great introduction to songs I hadn't heard before. All band memmbers play with supreme skill and showmanship, and it does not come across as of it's time, you can how great they really where.
This dvd is well worth investigating just don't hope for to much.
on 24 March 2009
I adore The Who and I do love this DVD. As with other reviewers here, however, I do take issue with the appalling editing of the film. Also, I'm sure that Murray Lerner must have filmed the whole concert, so can we please now have the whole thing, in order? I LOVE "Sparks" and would love to see them play that at the Isle of Wight, as it is incendiary on the CD.

I missed this gig the first time around (what with being only 3 at the time!) and the CD of it is utterly awesome, so PLEASE can we have it all on DVD? I could never tire of watching them play together back then, though, and this is probably the wrong thing to say, I could watch Keith all day. In fact, as long as I had the rest of the sound going on, I'd be happy if the camera didn't move from him - utterly mesmerising.

His death had such an impact on me, despite the fact that I was only 11 at the time, and I continue to miss his particular brand of brilliance. There has been no drummer like him before or since, in my opinion.

John Entwistle is also very sorely missed - the man was an absolute genius on the bass guitar. I still love The Who, but I still haven't seen them live as I don't think I could, not without Moon and Entwistle.
on 15 February 2001
the who were at their pinacle when this gem was made.not only were they at their maximum loud style,but the video gives you an insight to their legendary on stage fun and banter. the performance itself is flawless,and as a four piece band their sound has not been tighter. although the film has been known to have existed since 1970, the quality was considerd to be too dark for it to have been released untill now if only live at leeds hade been recorded on film as well as record,we would have had a better performance,but we should be deeply greatful that we have this,lasting reminder of the greatest rock band that is is lively now as it would have been then
on 14 January 2016
Raw,powerful,in your face rock n roll. The Who at there best.
on 19 February 2015