Format: Audio CD|Change

on 18 April 2003
Whitney's greatest hit's is the best album I have ever heard. She's my favourite singer and has an incredible voice. It has two disks, the first disk is all the ballads and the second disk is the dancy tracks. My favourite song is "I Wanna Dance With Somebody" which I constantly listen to. "The Greatest Love of All" is an amazing ballad sure to make you cry if you give it a good listen. Whitney's biggest hit "I Will Alway's Love You" from the movie "The Bodyguard", really shows how incredible Whitney's voice. Once you listen to this you'll alway's love Whitney, so what are you waiting for, buy the album for crying out loud.
on 11 July 2000
A fantastic selection of Whitney Houston's best songs of all time is finally compiled on this double album, featuring a whopping 38 songs.
The album is divided into two; cool down, the first CD, features slower, gentler sounding songs, while the second CD, throw down, has more upbeat and loud songs like her unforgettable 1987 hit 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody.' There are old favourites, such as 'The Greatest Love of All,' but Whitney also includes some new tracks, most notably her recent single, 'If I Told You That' with George Michael, a honky tonk, lush song with rich piano and a prime example of Houston's immeasurably powerful voice.
Also included is a duet with Enrique Iglesias, a smooth, classy sounding song. Some of the songs do overdo it somewhat, with Whitney bawling out lyrics to overquiet musical backing, especially on the cool down side.
Whitney Houston has been and still is one of the most well known, successful, and excellent musicians. All of her classic hits are on this album. Consider that when - and it should be 'when,' not 'if' - you buy it, you aren't just buying a great album of music - you're buying a part of modern musical history.
on 16 November 2000
There is no other way I could have described this amazing album! I have grew up listening to Diana Ross and Whitney Houston being blasted around our house since I have been very young so I know all her songs and when my mum decided to buy her album I thought that I would like it. I didn't though. I ADORED it!! It has all the great songs on it such as I have Nothing, Didn't we almost have it all and one of her most famous songs from the Bodyguard soundtrack, One Moment in Time. The two CD's have names; Cool down, with all the ballads and Throw Down with all the up-beat songs on it. As I am only 14 years old my friends wonder how I like Whitney so much but who couldn't enjoy music from the most talented woman with the most amazing voice in the world?!?
on 23 April 2016
Whitney Houston has suddenly passed away at the tender age of 48. She has led a tumultuous life, with drug abuse, resulting in the ultimate sacrifice: the loss of her golden voice and her life. According to Tommy Mottola, the boss at Sony, he rightly said that Whitney Houston's voice at the beginning of her career was considered the golden standard, to be imitated by other singers that follow. Now that she is forever gone from us, if you are looking for one set of songs by Whitney Houston that best represented her input, this is the set.

This is a 2 CD set, released in 2000 under her original label Arista, has 18 songs in disc 1 and 18 songs in disc 2. The songs in disc 1 are the original studio versions of her greatest hits, while disc 2 contains many special remix, plus two rare treats: One Moment In Time and The Star Spangled Banner. The audio is well remastered. You can hear clearly all the different octaves in her singing...very fulfilling indeed.

During the late 80s and early 90s, Whitney Houston with angelic voice was simply unstoppable, as demonstrated by the following song listing in this set and their achievements:

You Give Good Love (#3/1985)
Saving All My Love For You (#1/1985)
Greatest Love Of All (#1 (3 weeks)/1986)
Didn't We Almost Have It All (#1 (2 weeks)/1987)
Where Do Broken Hearts Go (#1 (2 weeks)/1988)
All The Man That I Need (#1 (2 weeks)/1990)
Run To You (#31/1993)
I Have Nothing (#4/1993)
I Will Always Love You (#1 (14 weeks)/1992)
Exhale (Shoop Shoop)(#1 (1 week)/1995)
Why Does It Hurt So Bad (#26/1996)
I Believe In You And Me (#4/1996)
Heartbreak Hotel (#2/1998) featuring Faith Evans & Kelly Price
My Love Is Your Love (#4/1999)
Same Script, Different Cast (#70/2000) duet with Deborah Cox
Could I have This Kiss Forever (#52/2000) duet with Enrique Iglesias
One Moment In Time (#5/1988) used in NBC TV for the 1988 Summer Olympics
The Star Spangled Banner (#6/2001) recorded at Super Bowl XXV
I'm Every Woman (remix)(#4/1993)
Step By Step (remix)(#15/1997)
Queen Of The Night (remix)(#36/1993)
Love Will Save The Day (remix)(#9/1988)
I'm Your Baby Tonight (remix)(#1 (1 week)/1990)
So Emotional (remix)(#1 (1 week)/1987)
I Wanna Dance With Somebody (remix)(#1 (2 weeks)/1987)
How Will I Know (remix)(#1 (2 weeks)/1985)

I am sure that her label Arista will release a new package of her greatest hits (hopefully more complete with original studio versions only, including such omissions as Hold Me (with Teddy Pendergrass) and When You Believe (with Mariah Carey). Whitney Houston has a total of 41 charted hits on Billboard Hot 100. To have a complete Whitney Houston Singles Collection with both a and b-sides will require a box set, which will come eventually, when the record company wants to squeeze every last drop of $ from us. Until then, if you do not want to buy individual albums on CDs, this Greatest Hits set is the most complete so far. All these songs will bring us back to the height of her career, when her voice was simply heavenly and unstoppable. Highly recommended.

UPDATE:

One week after Whitney's passing, the above disc has re-entered the Billboard 200 Album Chart at #6, while her previous chart-topper I Will Always Love You re-entered the Billboard Hot 100 at #7! In The Catalog Album Chart, Whitney's Greatest Hits reigned supreme, re-entering at Number 1, while her first album, Whitney, re-entered at Number 5 and The Bodyguard Soundtrack at Number 7. Amazing feat!
Whitney Houston was born in 'Newark' New Jersey in August 1963.
In her teens she toured the night-clubs where her Mother performed often getting up on stage to sing with her.
In the early 80's she started working as a fashion model after being noticed by a photographer singing with her
mother at Carnegie Hall, she appeared in glamour magazines and even in a soft drinks commercial, though in truth
her future was always going to be in music.
Her mother had turned down a couple of recording deals on Whitney's behalf saying that she had to finish her education
first, a brief delay in fact, in 1983 she was offered a a World-Wide deal by 'Clive Davies' of Arista Records.
In 1985 'Whitney' began her invasion of the Charts around the World, her second U.K release 'Saving All My Love For You'
hit the Top-Spot.
Her impressive vocal-ability guiding her to a stream of chart-successes both sides of the Atlantic with numbers such as -
'How Will I Know' (Chart '5' U.K 1986) - 'The Greatest Love Of All' (Chart '8' U.K also 86') - 'I Wanna Dance With Somebody'
(Chart '1' U.K 1987) - 'Didn't We Almost Have It All' (Chart '14' U.K also 87') - 'So Emotional' (Chart '5' U.K again 87') - 'Where
Do Broken Hearts Go' (Chart '14' U.K 1988) - 'Love Will Save The Day' (Chart '10' U.K also 88') - 'One Moment In Time' (Chart
'1' U.K again 88') --into the 90's-- 'I'm Your Baby Tonight' (Chart '5' U.K 1990) - 'All The Man I Need' (Chart '13' U.K also 90')
followed by a couple of lower order entries in 91' then came - 'I Will Always Love You' (Chart '1' U.K 1992) the song written
and originally recorded by 'Dolly Parton' became, perhaps 'Whitney's' greatest hit World-Wide, it remained top of the U.K
Chart for a remarkable 10 weeks, of course many will remember the film 'Bodyguard' in which 'Whitney' starred with 'Kevin
Costner' - 'I'm Every Woman' (Chart '4' U.K 1993) - 'I Have Nothing' (Chart '3' also 93') - 'Run To You' (Chart '15' U.K again 93')
'Queen Of The Night' (Chart '14' U.K 1993) - 'Exhale (Shoop-Shoop) (Chart '11' U.K 1995) - 'Step By Step' (Chart '13' U.K 1996)
'I Believe In You And Me' (Chart '16' U.K 1997) - 'I'ts Not Right But It's Okay' (Chart '3' U.K 1999) - 'My Love Is Your Love' (Chart '2'
U.K also 99') - 'I Learned From The Best' (Chart '19' U.K again 99') - -into the 00's - 'If I Told You That' - duet with 'George Michael'
(Chart '9' U.K 2000) - 'Could I Have This Kiss Forever' (Chart '7' U.K also 2000) - 'Heartbreak Hotel' (Chart '25' U.K again 2000)
She did have further chart entries along with a couple i haven't listed, however those i have can be found on-board this release.
The other side of the Atlantic she actually recorded 7 consecutive number 1's, quite an achievement, she was also awarded many
of music's greatest accolades down the years.
She was equally comfortable singing up-beat/disco as was she with love songs and ballads, which made her a special talent.
Whitney was indeed an extraordinary vocal talent, many would say she had it all, sadly she died at the Beverly Hills Hilton in L.A
February 9th 2012 aged 48, must admit i like many 'felt' the loss, of course we've all heard the stories, however like many of you
i'm sure, i'd rather remember the talent the beauty and of course the music she gave us down the years.
This 2-CD release as indicated has many of the numbers on-board we best remember.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 17 February 2012
With the sad death of Whitney I wanted an album of her hits to remember her by. I am pleased to say that this one contains tracks recorded before her relationship with Brown and subsequent use of crack cocaine which damaged her voice.

These recordings are as fresh as the day they were recorded. She has a truly beautiful voice with power but also with precision and control. We can only imagine the great hights she would have reached if she had never met Brown and got involved with the hardcore drugs.

There are a couple of greatest hits albums around, the only track missing from this that I wanted was her version of the Star Spangled Banner from the Superbowl. I just added this as a separate MP3 track.
on 10 July 2000
Even if you never thought yourself a Whitney fan this album will still have you dancing to the old favourites and singing along to both the old and new ballads. You seem to forget just how many good tunes Mrs Bobbie Brown actually came out with in our time going back to the ealier 80s numbers right up to her remix of 'If I told U that' with Goerge Micheal. The new songs too compliment the old and include immediate favourites such as 'Same Script, Different Cast'. Go on you know you want to!
on 28 July 2000
If you like remixes get the US released Greatest Hits as the CD2 is full of them. If you want the originals stay with the UK release. What can you say about this album as just simply GREAT. It is great for BBQ, makes an ideal gift for Xmas and just simply cool for whenever. To me having the song One Moment in Time in the album made it so meaningful as it brought back memories of 1988 Olympics - just like walking down memory lane.
All I can say that to those who have not purchase this Greatest Hits by Whitney Houston, you would have not known what you have been missing out.
on 22 June 2000
Whitney has done herself proud with this album, the first cd comprises of the slow love songs, the ones that you can sing at the top of your voice, the 2nd cd is the dancer songs, ideal for the summer BBQ'S. The album covers a variety of songs from over the years. From 'one moment in time' to 'if i told you that'. I am completely satisfied with this cd.. Well done Whitney!
on 13 August 2000
What artist could me more deserving of a greatest hits album? This album is brilliant, the only reason not to buy it would be if you already have her other five albums or if you don't like her. Well I like it and I bought it. I think that its smashing!