Customer reviews

Wanita
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 10 July 2004
This excellent collection gives Rokia the chance to show her amazing vocal range to full effect. As well as excellent vocal backing from Boubacar Traore, Coco Mbasi and Massambou Diallo, intrumental backing is given a touch of class with such people as Toumani Diabate on Kora, Adama Diarra on Balafon and Sidiki Camara on percussion. Rokia herself displays her range of talents with contributions on guitar (tracks 1, 6 and 10)and percussion (track 6 - the title track).
This is a must for any lover of Malian music
on 26 September 2000
I heard the title track of this album in the middle of the night on the world service. I was half asleep and thought that I was dreaming of the music in heaven. When I realised it was terrestrial music I woke up enough to register the name of the album and that the singer was from Mali. The next day I bought the album. All tracks are of incredibly high quality but Wanita is the one I replay the most. The album soothes, uplifts and inspires this one lowly fan. Rokia Traore is a musician with talent and integrity. Listen to her.
on 23 July 2012
Rokia Traoré is a completely new experience for me. Being familiar with other great Malian artists such as Salif Keita, Ali Farka Toure, Oumou Sangare and Toumani Diabate is was nice to come across something new.

And this is absolutely great stuff - beautiful soulful singing and very, very nice music. Also a great production, wonderful sound and very varied repertoire.
This is the "natural" stuff with lots of roots - nothing overproduced here. To me this is absolutely in league with all the other former mentioned artists - and if you like them, I'm certain that you'll love this one too.
on 8 December 2012
A vital female human. Human, when its best (very close to our animal nature).
- Music always is best when the animal (human animal) in us takes over.

I have by now had this MP3-down-load for a month. I had a CD: 'Le Folklore Kabyle'. This CD, somehow, via Amazon.com's guided 'paths', led me to African music, - and this MP3 down load.

Buy it! - You won't regret this buy.
on 24 August 2000
This artist is highly recommended. If you are a collector of world music and Rokia is not in your collection, you are missing something!
on 11 December 2000
i bought this as it played in a record shop - rokia's voice is divine and just soars through the air, making you realise how poor so many of our so called talents in the charts actually are. buy this if you like world music by all means, but buy it if you don't too.
on 28 June 2003
there's no mistaking the quality here- a nice voice with some interesting instrumentation. it's just that on me this whole sound grates a bit. it's neither smooth enough for easy listening and it doesn't pack enough punch for a more involved listen.