Learn more Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop now Shop now New Album - Drake Shop Women's Shop Men's

Format: DVD|Change

on 9 February 2006
I Don't think the other person who wrote a review actually listened to the film.....Its Milly not Molly and the Brothers are Adam, Benjamin, Calib, Daniel, Ephraim, Frank(insesce) and Gideon.
Howard Keel and Co. are as spectacular as ever- The dancing, acrobatics and athleticism all contribute to an overall fun-filled exhibition and a fantastic story.
I must have watched this film about 30 times and it still doesn't get boring- there is always something new to see in the background or you notice a new dancing step from another brother. It is not very often that you find such a multi-talented cast all in one place!
on 10 January 2002
I first saw this musical when I was seven and have a well-worn VHS copy...so it's great to upgrade to DVD. I very much enjoyed the "Making of..." special feature on the DVD which has extensive interviews with the actors, producers and even the choreographer for the barn-raising scene. Well worth the money!
on 4 June 2001
What can you say about this little concoction? Pure Saturday afternoon bliss is all I can think of. First up is the incomprable Singin' in the Rain which stands up so well today, not just because of the title song, but because of the sheer warmth of the story and stars. Gene Kelly once memorably said, "Fred Astaire dances like an aristocrat. I dance like a truck driver." Well, I'll take the truck driver, especially when you see that tremendous vitality in the extended "Broadway Melody" sequence. The dance with Cyd Charisse alone is enough to make a nun quiver with lust. Donald O'Connor and Debbie Renolds add the comedy and romance respectively - and they sparkle beautifully. Wit, charm and elegance in spades.
Next up: the lovely Seven Brides...Howard Keel (remember him in Dallas?) plays the oldest brother of seven 'backwoodsmen' at the turn of the century, all of whom are desperate to find a wife. The music is rousing, the dancing is vibrant (led by Russ Tamblyn, later to star in West Side Story)and the whole adds up to a thoroughly entertaining 90 minutes.
Bring me a box of chocs, this DVD, a spare afternoon and I'm yours.
on 14 January 2004
I can't remember the first time I saw this wonderful musical, but I will never forget the incredible talent of the actors, the extremely impressive choreography and the classic songs that stick in your mind for weeks. It is definately one of the best musicals I have ever seen and I believe it will live on in our minds and hearts for many years to come. Definately a musical not to be missed!
on 29 October 2006
Seven Brides For Seven Brothers [Two Dics Set]

This two disc set offers both the wide screen and cinema scope versions of the film.

At the time of making the film, to ensure the best presentation in cinemas that did not have the equipment to show the new cinemascope process two versions of the film were made simultaneously.

This two disc version includes both films, which have sound and vision beautifully restored.

Also included are many extras, The original theatre trailers, The 1954 Radio City Premiere, Behind the scenes Documentary hosted by Howard Keel , and lots more.

This DVD set is a real must have for any fan of Hollywood musicals.
on 30 December 2006
This is one of my favourite movies of all time. Mountain farm-worker Adam (Howard Keel) comes down into town with the intention of taking home a wife and successfully woos spunky Milly (Jane Powell) the cook at the local inn. She looks forward to looking after one man for a change; what Adam doesn't tell her is that their home in the mountains will be shared with his six unruly brothers. Milly, finding her dream home isn't what she thought it would be, sets about making changes for the better; namely refining the rough behaviour of the men and trying to get them paired off with the townswomen by teaching them the ways of courtship. Adam has his own idea how his brothers should go about things however which leads to trouble for all of them! This movie is full of wonderful, uplifting music and some extraordinary dance sequences, a great cast who's voices do great justice to the fabulous tunes and is entertaining from beginning to end. The DVD features an interesting documentary on the making of the movie as well; this is well worth buying for anyone who enjoys a feel-good family film or musical. Great fun.
on 31 January 2001
No review can do this film justice, so a short sweet account will be as good as a long winded analysis. Howard Keel is outstanding. Any newcomer to his voice will be instantly enchanted. Jane Powell, although owning a typical reedy musical voice, is perfectly cast as Keel's hard working voice. The dancing is marvellous - the barn raising scene has never been equalled. It may have old fashoined values about women, but it doesn't really matter, because this musical will remain one of the best, if not THE best film musical of all time
on 22 May 2007
Being a novice at buying DVD's, I didn't realise there were so many different aspect ratios. I love this musical and the songs are great, but the viewing was spoilt by only filling up about half my TV screen. My auto aspect showed this film on 14:9 Zoom and I could only stretch this slightly with my 16:9 Zoom aspect. I wanted this film so much so I tried to see what the difference was with the version released in 2006. Disappointingly, it doesn't give the details on Amazon's or any other websites descriptions. I have now ordered the Special 2 disc DVD as this offers both 2.55:1 and 1.85:1 versions, so should solve my problem. However, I'm annoyed that if there is a single disc of 1.85:1 it is not described as such and I will now have a spare 2.55:1 disc to give away. Very enjoyable film - remembered from my youth!
I saw this film in the movies when it first came out. I watched it recently and found that it is just as fun to watch as the first time. I had forgotten some of the scenes and was pleasantly surprised. You will find your self not humming but actually singing the tunes along with the movie and in the shower. Well even if you don't normally sing in the shower this movie will help you start. And do not go swinging your ax in the house.

The DVD version has background information to enhance your viewing pleasure.

If nothing else this film is a good addition to your library.

Just incase you really haven't seen this film (hard to imagine), Millie (Jane Powell) one of the towns people is courted by Adam (Howard Keel) who is from another world, that of the woods. Both people have different agendas. Millie plans on a place of her own out of the hectic city and maybe a little more exotic with a different sort of man. Adam on the other hand needs a chief cook and bottle washer for himself and his six brothers. At first the surprise is on Millie. Later Adam finds out that he can not handle what he has brought home. The fun begins as Millie and Adam has a different approach to finding wives for the six brothers.

This film has lots of color-coordinated clothes, great dance scenes and appropriate song at just the right places to integrate into a fun story.
on 13 February 2008
This film has been on my wish list for quite a while, I just remembered that it was a wonderful film, full of great set pieces, good songs & beautiful orchestrations, my only regret is that I didnt buy this earlier.

I bought this because of the two versions of the film, for the commentary from the director Stanley Donen, and for the documentary presented by Howard Keel himself, where everyone recall's how this supposed 'B' picture at MGM eventually became a huge hit that is still as enjoyable today.

As a film it is tight, there is no real filler the story moves at a good pace and it all falls together beautifully, as Stanley Donen says in his commentary, it was a film made by great professional's from top to bottom and it shows. I can only wish he had got his wish and shot it all on location in Oregon instead of on the back lot at MGM, that would only have enhanced this wonderful movie.

Just get it, you won't regret it. Bless your beautiful hide....