on 7 June 2017
The 'news' increasingly grim .. feeling worried and anxious? drift into another world, the world of brave pioneering ... Dramatised with wonderful music, lyrics and stunning dancing ... I have been singing ever since! A guaranteed 'cheer-u-uppo'!!
on 15 December 2017
I absolutely LOVE this film and it brings back a lot of memories growing up watching it!
on 24 August 2015
Love this - a piece of shameless nostalgia - I used to watch this with a school friend over and over again and have just watched it with my daughters for the first time in 30 years. I adored seeing it in HD - gave it the same clarity it had in my childhood memories! And ... Howard Keel has an amazing voice! A must watch especially the barn-raising dance and the beautifully choreographed wood chopping scene with all six love-sick brothers cutting up logs in a extremely balletic way!
on 7 December 2017
Worth the money and delivered quickly.
on 25 November 2014
This is s fabulous musical with Howard Keel and Jane Powell. It is fast and furious and the dance routines are incredible. It is based on the story of the rape of the Sabine women, when there was a shortage of women to marry and all available women were abducted and taken from their own people and country. This is a feel good film that makes you want to sing and dance along! I love it, hopefully you will too!
on 25 October 2008
This is one of my favourite musicals of all time. I'm pleased to see that this latest version offers a choice of ratio as I am fed up with squinting at my old extra widescreen version. I shall be putting this on my wish list for Christmas! My daughter and I have been watching this film for years and just recently she spotted something odd. For trivia lovers everywhere, have a look at the scene where the brothers are pacing up and down while Millie gives birth to her baby upstairs. At the very back Ephraim is pacing up and down - except it isn't him but some random guy we've never seen before. Each time he stops pacing he is conveniently hidden by the stepladder so you can't see his face. Presumably, Ephraim took the day off and they dragged this poor bloke in to make up the numbers! It's no good, I really must get out more! Anyway, enjoy!
3 people found this helpful
on 6 April 2015
Excellent; but be careful there are different versions of this dvd about. This one I purchased has the true Cinemascope version. There is another poor version where it commences as the Cinemascope versions and then suddenly changes to a mutilated frame size version. Avoid that one; it is rubbish. The picture shown here of the case is the one which is that mutilated version.
on 2 May 2017
Knocks all but the odd modern musical into touch .

The music , dancing , choreography, story and acting all so much more satisfying than the overacting and over produced 'musical' of modern times. La la land excepted
on 24 May 2018
Age has not withered it, nor have the years condemned...
Good clean old fashioned entertainment.
on 13 November 2017
Terrific. Loaded with nostalgia!