Customer reviews

Magnolia
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 21 October 2004
I don't think I've ever come across an album that is to such an extent both easy-listening and deeply affecting. I'm writing a few hours after buying this and I must have listened to it at least five times through already. Whether you've seen the film or not (and I recommend you do - it's genius) this should definitely be in your collection.
on 14 April 2003
I hadn't heard of Aimee Mann until I bought this album after seeing the film. I am glad I did. The album sums up the film perfectly. Stand-out tracks are "One" and "Save Me", both songs will make the hairs stand up on your neck. If you like good music with feelings and a heart buy this album....and see the film !
on 22 April 2000
Best soundtrack album ever.... ever. It would have been even better if the Supertramp songs had been left off it, but we don't live in a perfect world. Ms Mann's songs are central to the film but you don't have to see the film to get the whole emotional pull thing so 10 out of 10 for that. Her songs make you smile like an idiot one minute and drop you down an abyss. I think she deserved an Oscar simply for the line 'You look like the perfect fit/ for a girl in need of a tourniquet'. Buy now, cos you won't ever buy a better soundtrack album; the nine Aimee Mann songs are fantastic.
on 9 April 2007
But this one is I have! The words leap out - and I mean that because normally I only listen to melodies in any song, very rarely the words, but Aime Mann's lyrics can't be ignored and they are intelligent as well as moving. The melodies are equally edgy and the sound production's excellent.
on 17 January 2006
As my title suggests this is another excellent album from Aimee Mann - it does seem you like her vibe or you don't. But I think she conveys brilliantly human emotion and her voice is able to bend to convey meaning in a way few artists seem to do. Perhaps its because her songs are so personal and like poetry, they emerge from events around all of us. The album is packed full of songs, like all of her albums, which are so moving and alluring that they keep you captivated. I think if you do like Mann, her music can be an absolute joy applying itself
perfectly to the situations we face in life.
'Build That Wall' is so great - it seems to have an almost 'happy go lucky' beat and melody to it but the lyrics convey a sense of sadness... It strange but very interesting. Driving Sideways is very attractive and draws you in, just like Save Me - except it conveys such sadness that you can't help being moved by it. As well, every sound is fresh and original in these songs.
on 14 April 2000
I have been bowled over by this superb CD. After watching Magnolia, I sat through the credits for ages mesmerised by 'Save me' to find out who owned that voice. After picking up the CD I can't stop listening to it as well. Her crisp melodic voice does something to your heart and before you know it you're eyes are closed, your head is swinging to the rhythm and you are mouthing the words as they do in the film. the last album to move me so much as this was Air's Moon Safari. The brace of Supertramp hits at the end provide a quality companion but it is Aimee Mann you will want to hear for ever more! Can't wait for her next one.
on 14 September 2004
I have to agree, Aimee Mann's songs contend to be the best move soundtrack ever. An album in it's own right, the songs Save Me, Driving Sideways, You Do and Wise Up are sublime, and the rest aint bad either. The Supertramp songs spoil it a little bit, but overall a top, top album.
on 31 March 2000
Reading the album summary I am dismayed by the author's dismisal of Mann's version of 'One'. I have not heard the original (will now seek to do so), but the fact remains for me that it fitted perfectly with the tone, emotion and feeling of the film. The use of Mann's voice throughout the film also intensified the moments which the music accompanied and served to unite the feelings of all the disparate story antagonists. Masterful music - and that comes from me, whose favourite CD of the moment is Moby's Play. See the film and buy the music. They have to go together.
on 11 April 2000
Aimee Mann's captivating voice and emotive lyrics are the perfect partner to the themes of Magnolia - but this is an album not just for lovers of the film. Each song has an emotional depth rarely found, precise melodies that haunt yet have you singing, speaking of love,loneliness and humanity without sentimentality. Not to forget the two Supertramp songs which are an upbeat contrast yet in keeping with the spirit of the film. The album has a magical quality quite hard to describe - but I can't stop playing it.
on 19 February 2001
Well, if - on the evidence of some people being a bit sniffy about some of the tracks - her other stuff (which I haven't heard) is even better . . . then blimey. Only recently encountered Ms Mann, through Magnolia (amazing film . . .). Excellent, say I and I even like "Logical" (the other Supertramp item is, its true, a bit of an awkward fit). See it. Buy it.