Customer reviews

on 1 October 2014
GREAT BAND and GREAT MUSIC!
on 19 January 2001
It should be noted that I first heard about the get up kids through napster and it is through napster that good bands can get attention without commercial crap radio, hence the GUKs support of it.
The album itself continues to build on the sound of 4 minute mile, although it is by no means repetitive or boring. Its musical simplicity is marked by the fact that I, a poor guitar player, can play all their songs, but simplicity is by no means a fault.
From the rockout begining of "Holiday" through the quite interlude of "Dover Peaks" the album takes the listener through a world of emotional tribulation, while maintaining a rather upbeat tempo and outlook for the future. Heavy distortion mixes wonderfully with both guitar riffs and keyboard interludes to produce songs that capture the intense energy of punk while adding quite a melodic element to it.
It is an excellent album and they are a good band for a time in musical history where there aren't too many of them.
on 12 July 2000
I heard the get up kids on a BMX video and immediately had to buy a CD. I Bought 4 Minute Mile, their previous album which was excellent if a little short. The songs on this album are at least as good as those on 4MM but with the added bonus of longer tracks. It is definitly worth buying both the albums but I would recomend that you buy this one first, and DO buy it.
on 21 June 2001
I heard "Valentine" on an internet radio station and was hooked, so I took a chance and ordered the album. What can I say but WOW?! All the tracks are brilliant, whether they be the fast and loud "Ten Minutes," or the aching beauty of "I'll Catch You." I love this cd and I really wish people over here knew about them so they would tour! Very highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
on 10 June 2000
The first word that comes to mind when listening to this album is 'stunning'. The opener of this album, 'Holidays', sets the tone for the rest of the album. The album combines some great rock tunes with slower songs, which are really good too. The Get Up Kids have created an whole new sound with this album. They prove that keyboards can go easily with guitars, which is one of the main reasons why this album is so great. Unlike other Epitaph bands, such as Offspring, UA and Ten Foot Pole, The Get Up Kids is not a genuine punk band. The songs are melodious, and the lyrics go deeper than those of the average Epitaph punk band. Also, The Get Up Kids is one of the best live bands I ever heard. In order words, this album should be part of your record collection!
on 7 December 2000
I bought this album on the reccomendation of a review I read in MOJO of all places. I was surprised because MOJO hardly reviews the freshest sounding of music but this truely is an excellent album. The Get Up Kids have been embraced by the skate-punk scene which will give them greatly improved record sales but they are far more of an Emo band and sit much more happily alongside Jimmy Eat World, Sunny Day Real Estate or Jawbox. This album has absolutely no weak tracks and is far more memorable than more succesful bands such as Blink 182. Standout tracks are '10 minutes' and 'i'm a loner dottie a rebel'. The latter named after a line from the Pee Wee Herman movie. This is indicative of the Get Up Kids music, deceptively poppy but with a far deeper impact and emotional hook ( like Tim Burtons film 'Pee Wees Big Adventure' which has some pretty amazing moments)
3 people found this helpful
on 5 September 2000
This album shows us that the lines between genres of music are becoming more blurred every day, I am stuck when it comes to classifying these tunes, however, this has to be one of the best albums I've bought this year, it's very original, but most of all it's magnetic, for a disk to stay in my car CD player for over a week is no mean feat...worth every penny...you won't regret buying this one....
on 8 February 2001
'The Get Up Kids' were not a band i had heard of before,but it was recommended by a friend. Simply, it hasnt been out of my cd&mini disk player. The best track is, in my opinion Red Letter Day, the band singing 'Were loyal, like brothers, just us vs. all the others' is devine. You just feel as if it would be an insult to the band by not singing along-and inevitably, with choruses like therse, you find yourself doing just that. A truly brilliant album which can be listened to quickly, as backround music, or much deeper emotional songs. If you like music you will love this!
2 people found this helpful