on 3 January 2017
OK, holding hands up I am a Robin Williams fan.
Have seen this film on TV several times so got it to watch with the wife. Cried my eyes out as usual - this is to me one of his saddest and happiest films, lots of special effects and some poignant moments, plenty of dialogue and some extreme fantasy. The characters you see are not the characters you think they are or that indeed that the main actor thinks they are. All will become clear when you watch it.
Wife cried too - it just has those kind of moments.

Would recommend buying a box of tissues. This is to me one of his very best films, more involved than his comedy films and more thoughtful. His talent for acting sure comes out.
on 17 January 2018
Bought this film "used - very good" and there's no problem playing it however the casing needed a wipe over. Overall happy with purchase. Quite a different Robin Wlliams movie, such a great actor. Great special effects.
on 6 January 2016
Really love this film & wanted to let my hubby watch it & luckily I found it on Amazon. It's not for everyone though with the subject matter & the way it's portrayed. Robin Williams is really good as is the rest of the cast. Watch it & judge for yourselves. Keep a tissue handy though to dab the eyes.
on 1 July 2015
This is a good film and Robin Williams is excellent. I found Cuba Gooding annoying and even Max von Sydow was not at his best. I made the mistake of reading the book before watching the film. The book is much much better than the film, although the special effects and cinematography makes this film visually very enjoyable. Watch the film first then go and get Richard Matheson's "What Dreams May Come" it is less sentimental and you get to know about the rules of heaven and hell in more detail. The depiction of hell is even more scary than the movie. Despite this a great movie but an even better book.
TOP 50 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 23 March 2011
I watched this film years ago late one night on television and was totally moved by it. For several years I searched for this film (this was prior to me having internet access at home) as for the life of me I couldn't remember the name of it and then was talking one night with friends randomly about it along with other things when someone finally told me the name. At the time I ordered it there wasn't any UK distributors of it who were offering it at a reasonable price and I therefore ended up having to import it from the US but it was worth all the trouble and then some. It was even better than I remembered and I watched it again recently after having lost my Uncle and was in floods of tears but it was also very comforting at the same time.

This is a stunning beautiful film that explores what happens after death and a hauntingly moving tale of love.
on 27 September 2017
I love this film. I lost my partner to grief related suicide recently and this film really resonates about the power of love. I only wish I could find him and bring him back too 😥😥
on 27 March 2015
With reservations - the ending is over-sentimental - this is the kind of film I like. However, it rather misses its mark in depicting the afterlife as a place where the sun don't seem to shine and suicides are punished, and I wasn't keen on the messy paint motif. Whatever your beliefs, if you're filming the afterlife, you need to go into the structure of it rather more deeply instead of leaving it to your own vision, and there are books available that do this. Nice, though.
on 30 January 2009
I watched this film years ago on TV and loved it so much that later on I bought the DVD to watch together with my then husband. The first time I watched this film I was actually not intending to watch it at all because I saw it advertised on TV but because of the special effects it seemed to be to be rather childish. But fate made me sit in front of the TV just when the film was starting and I watched it from start to end. The story is very inspiring, a real love story, not of princes and princesses but a love story in the real world, which shows that love does really conquer it all. Watch it and be as inspired as I was. Of course Robin Williams is one of the greatest actors of our times. Too bad he had to die so early……. A real pity!
on 20 September 2014
An amazing film so rich in layers of meaning that either I had to own a copy or take up residence at whatever cinema was showing it at the time. I chose the first option! It is a beautiful portrayal of grief and the continuation of the soul into the Spirit World. It also weaves a marvellous tapestry of family relationships, the bonds of love, how we only see people the way we think they are, and how people present themselves how they think we want to see them. Excellent performances of a superbly intelligent and sensitively written screenplay by a perfect cast of actors
22 Comments|Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse
on 2 April 2017
Excellent price for this very special movie, which I gave to my best friend. It's her very favourite movie :-)