Customer reviews

on 9 May 2002
In a word, ‘wow’! This fantastic video is a superb documentary of the career of the greatest ice dancing couple in the history of figure skating, and is an absolute must-have for anyone with even a passing interest in this most magical of artistic experiences. At 1 hour, 53 minutes long, it is a generous length for this sort of chronicle, and is narrated by the couple themselves, guaranteeing honesty and intellectual self analysis throughout.
We go right back to their childhood’s, as they both describe their first steps onto the ice, and it documents how with such lucky foresight they were put together, where they would then gel as a unit and move forward as a couple whose immaculate timing, mirroring of each others moves and creativity has never been matched. Their history together is charted through the 1980s with their rise to World Championship wins and then to their competitive peak at the 1984 Sarajevo Olympic games. We then follow them beyond that to a decade of touring the world in shows, where they continually reinvented their image with new and bold choreography and drama; and then their return to competitive skating at the 1994 Lillehammer Olympics, before seeing them turn once more to their shows, where the freedom both to choreograph without restrictions and perform not to judges but simply for appreciative audiences, provides them still with new opportunities to shine.
We are treated to extensive footage including black and white shots of them as children, and newsreel footage, as well as the complete competitive performances of Bolero, Mac and Mabel, Barnum, Let’s Face the Music and Dance, and many more. Professional programmes shown include the tap dancing sensation that is Fred and Ginger, the sublime Song of India and hilarious Hat Trick, to name just a few.
‘Torvill and Dean’: they go as well together as strawberries and cream and if you ask any person on the street to name someone from the sport of figure skating, that is very probably what they will say, such has been the impact of this remarkable couple. This video shows you why.
0Comment| 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 5 March 2006
This is the best Torvill & Dean video out! All the rest pale into insignificance - I should know, I have them all! This video has all my personal favourites including: Mac & Mabel, Barnum, Bolero, Encounters, Missing, Summer Time, Face the Music, Rumba, Song of India and many more.
on 28 February 2007
I deferred buying a T&D video because I read so many negative reviews of DVDs and videso alike, but this one hits the spot. For those of you non-skating experts, this relives the rise of Torvill and Dean, and reignites the national pride we all felt in the 1980s, and hasn't been equalled since. Also, the linking narration and interviews with Torvill & Dean is done very well, 100% is done by T&D, no voiceover actors here.

Don't be put off by the VHS format, remember, the broadcast quality in the 1980s was poor, but I doubt DVD would fair better, except for sound quality. This really doesn't need to be in Dolby 5.1, stereo, or HD picture format either, the spectacle is in the content and choreography that the T&D team excelled at. Although I have a big DVD collection of action movies and sci-fi, this T&D video is a real gem in my library.
on 26 January 2007
I bought this VHS after reading a previous review. I was not disappointed! It was fantastic to see their performances at the European, World and Olympics (1984). But I was mesmorised to see their performances after they turned professional after their success at the Olympics in 1984. Absolutely fantastic! I would definitely recommend this!
on 20 May 2001
An excellent video...shows performances rarely seen from their professional career, it's worth buying just to see them!!! An essential for all T&D fans!!! I'd give it 10 stars if I could!!!!
on 13 February 2014
For fans of T & D this video gives more than any DVD I have come across so far but only up to their final Olympic challenge and the start of their new show on ice in 1994.
Starting with their childhood memories you are led towards the dance they took to the European and World championships of 1981, then with their interview pieces sandwiched between, we are treated to probably all their well known and best loved pieces.
Mack & Mabel in 1982; Summertime 1982; Barnum 1983. Ahead of the 1984 Olympic we see their matador compulsory piece then their Olympic gold performance of Bolero in 1984. We follow their memories of turning professional and the show dances they put on. Song of India and Encounter from 1984; Diablo Tango 1985; Missing and Fred and Ginger from 1988. Hat Trick and the semi music-less piece Oscar Tango both from 1990. Stormy Weather in 1992 leads us to their return to competition at the European championship in 1994 and the performance of their compulsory dance History of Love. Then finally their gold medal performance that won a Bronze medal at the 1994 Olympics. The final minutes are given to their next project at the time - a new show on ice - Lets Face the Music and Dance. An entertaining and quality look back with our Ice Dance Champions. Worth hanging on to my VHS player for many years more.
on 25 March 2014
Many beautiful routines here, including several I hadn't seen before. "Missing" is really moving and shows that in the hands of artists like T&D skating can carry an important message. Just a shame that this isn't on DVD, as there were some messy bits on the tape.