Customer reviews

Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£2.89+ £2.80 shipping

on 25 December 2007
I went to see this show when he came to Sydney (and for those of you who saw the show in England, or have seen this DVD, yes, Ben was as good as his word - he did wear the sparkly suit!). It was definitely one of those nights that you don't want to end. It's wonderful to see that, even after 10 years or so, he's lost none of his entheusiasm or energy. When I left the theatre I was crying and aching I'd laughed that much. Watching this DVD, I felt like I was back in the Capitol Theatre in Sydney all over again. I would urge anyone to buy this DVD, it's hillariously funny and really is Ben Elton at his very very best. Hopefully, it will lead to other live DVDs of Ben Eltons being released soon.
on 27 December 2014
Ben Elton is one of the funniest comedians alive! You can tell how intelligent he is as he was one of the main writers of the the BBC Blackadder series; although his standup is of a different type of comedy, his keen wit and humor will have you crying with laughter! A must buy!
on 15 January 2010
Although bought as a present I also watched this video. It was so funny! Ben's way of drawing comedy from everyday life cannot be beaten. He has been the leader from which all other stand-up comedians have followed. The part about the Doctor had me in tears of laughter!!! It is a must-watch video!
on 15 December 2010
Not just a comedy show but also insightful social satire and poignant look at some human foibles. You can't help admiring how Elton can both demonstrate serious concern about modern world and also provide lots of sheer side-splitting laughs. At this reduced price it is probably the best bargin available in the stand-up comedy genre!
on 30 November 2007
Ben Elton ranks with Jonathan Swift in his satirical observation of his times. And like Swift's, Elton's satire is underlined by a humanity and even a compassion for people. This is a gem!!
on 20 April 2009
I simply cannot recommend this stand up highly enough. I've noticed it's available on DVD and I'm going to buy it now! Honestly, reserve any judgement you may have on Elton until you've seen this!

I think the monologue on ladies panty-liners is the funniest thing I've ever seen ("I said sticky?!! That's a high price to pay for mentrual cleanliness!!"). That or the story about getting his sperm checked out.

Some of the material is a little coarse for some tastes (as he notes when pausing for a breather: *adopts old ladies voice* "I must say he's alot ruder than I expected, I only came along 'cause I like Constable Goody from the Thin Blue Line").

If this sounds like you than observe the 18 certificate on the front. Put it down and walk towards something rated PG.

Elton dances from politics to consumerism to de-masculination of the modern man, all around a loose theme of style over content. A subject more relevent now than it was then (1997). As the other reviewer states, this is a stand up masterclass. Elton may not have the unique appeal of some other performers, but for the sheer quality of the material, structure and delivery, this can't be beaten.
on 1 October 2006
Ben Elton is a great writer and Stand Up Comedian and this show highlights the reason why he needs to get back into writing excellent sitcoms such as Blackadder and The Thin Blue Line.

I was in the audience on the saturday night when the show was being filmed at the City Vareties in Leeds and the show was hilarious and the atmosphere was electric. Unfortunately as good as the DVD is it does fail to capture the feel of the show mainly because the camera keeps focusing on the audience and their reaction rather than on Ben's performance.

Still worth a watch though.
on 6 November 2007
I was at City Varieties in June 2006 to see the filming of this DVD. It is essentially Ben Elton doing what he does best. Stand Up. Some of the jokes are the same as appeard in the Get a Grip series with Alexa Chung.

However, the delivery is much better without Alexa Chung. Although his assistant is pleasant on the eye, the chemistry between the two never worked. Fortunately, she does not appear on the DVD.

If you liked Saturday Night Live or Man From Auntie, you will love this DVD.

Ben Elton starts off the show by poking fun at call centres, by arriving late, while a recorded mesaage advises he will be soon with them and appreciates their custom. He eventually appears on stage to rapturous applause and delivers a montage of satirical, topical and well observed humour for which he originally made his name....
on 23 January 2009
I love stand-up, but I honestly didn't expect to like this DVD all that much when I picked it up. I just felt like stocking up on any comedy DVD I could, and thought, "Meh, this'll pass the time.".

All I'll say is, you know that feeling when you listen to a comedian (whether it's Bill Hicks, Dara O'Briain, Chris Rock) ranting about something topical and you laugh, "Spot on! Thank God SOMEBODY said it."? Ben Elton tackles some areas of modern life brilliantly in this set and gives you that feeling again and again. Watched it 4 times already.
on 27 December 2007
After a couple of disappointing earlier releases, Elton is back with a bang. He proves he is still at the top of the stand-up game with this non-stop 2 hour rant and observational masterpiece. If you like the earlier Motormouth and Motorvation releases (audio) and thought he went off-the-boil with the '97 video release then you'll be pleased to hear he's back in business. If you not seen either, you'll love this.