on 15 May 2014
Beautiful love story, not read the book but will be doing so after watching this. Some lovely scenery, shots of Wiltshire and Cambridge. Thank goodness times have changed and homosexuality is no longer stigmatised (for the most part!). Really enjoyable film, characters come across well and are easy to empathise with. Oh watch out for the uncredited brief glimpse of Helena Bonham Carter at the cricket match if you are a fan of hers!
2 people found this helpful
on 29 January 2012
I think everyones reviews sum up very nicely how good this film is. I can only agree but wanted to add my review as this is one of my favourite films. I saw it first on Film4 on channel four when they used to show brilliant films such as this as a regular occurance. Takes me back to my mid teens when I'd watch everyone of them. Maurice particularly grabbed me and yes I did and still have a thing for Rupert Graves who plays Alec Scudder, but the whole way the film approaches the subject of homosexuality in Edwardian times, is done exceptionally well and with a thorough understanding of how on the edge it must have been then to be gay. I love the way we get to see Maurice getting to understand how he feels and in the end accepting he loves Scudder and able to tell Clive this with no shame or fear, which shows how far he comes in understanding how he feels and who he is. I love the ending to this, you would imagine considering how awful anyone who was gay was treated then, they'd have a doom and gloom ending, but nope, we get the perfect ending. The actors all play their parts brilliantly and although maybe a tad long, I watched this film so many times, I still love it to this day! This is one of the best and I say this as a straight female! A truly exceptional film.
2 people found this helpful
on 26 August 2017
A classic Forster novel which makes for a classic movie. Well acted. So very sad the double lives they had to lead else the dangers of being found out.
on 18 April 2018
The DVD arrived in record time and it looked new.
However , the quality was appalling , it kept "freezing", i.e. it played OK for approx. 10 minutes and I then had to forward it to continue watching. Ten minutes before the end , it "froze" for the last time and , I never succeeded in finishing watching the film.
on 7 February 2016
An excellent cast and follows the book fairly well. Nothing too sensational in the filming thank heavens, it didn't need it .It does make you appreciate the freedoms we have today.
on 5 May 2018
Super
on 23 April 2014
This is one of my 5 all time favourite films - so was thrilled to discover that I was able to buy it.
As always the service was simple to use and very quick and efficient - would thoroughly recommend it to anyone,
One person found this helpful
on 8 February 2014
Ordered this DVD "Maurice" wonder romantic love story set in England. Very intense sand set to a wonderful authentic backdrop,looking at the lives of two university students who's friendship develops, blossoms and eventually each go their own separate way. Very captivating, compelling and with a unique atmosphere, that makes this so authentic.
The item was delivered a few days after the order was placed, pleased with this purchase.
on 1 February 2017
A++ Receommended
on 10 May 2013
I love my purchase of this film on DVD. I loved this film because Hugh Grant was in it and I love Hugh Grant. I was impressed with the efficiency and promptness of its delivery. Thank you for a great customer service. Jo