Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£3.99+ £2.80 shipping

on 28 February 2007
The Breakfast Club is one of the most touching films you will ever see. The only thing I find surprising is that more people don't seem to go crazy for it; after all, it captures perfectly that strange, confused person we all once used to be - a teenager.

Five students with nothing in common have to spend an entire Saturday in detention and write an essay on who they think they are. This mundane and seemingly pointless exercise unwittingly sets them on an emotional journey that they will never forget and that will change all of their lives forever. They only met once, but the Breakfast Club was probably the best thing that could ever have happened to these characters.

The most enduring lesson of this film is that not everyone is who they first appear to be. The confident Mr Verner is in fact very insecure, the 'stupid' janitor is much sharper than anyone will ever give him credit for. But the five students prove the stars of the show. Apart from Emilio Estevez, none of them became huge stars, but all deliver performances to die for. The 'Brain' is in fact a far more volatile and cut-loose person than he first seems, the 'Criminal' has a real heart, the 'Basket Case' is screaming inside for the world to treat her like a human being, but no one seems to listen, the 'Princess' is trapped in a role where she is what everyone but herself wants her to be, and the star wrestler and tough guy is in fact a scared little boy, desperate not to disappoint his father. The emotional journey will bring you right back to those days of high school, of being judged on who your friends were and the clothes you wore, when no one saw the real you.

The famous dance sequence of 'We are Not Alone', the gathering in a circle and the dope fuelled rampage are beautiful, but nothing can compare to the cutting letter they leave for Mr Verner, signed by the Breakfast Club, and the iconic image of Bender punching the air with 'Don't you Forget About Me' playing in the background.

If their was one criticism about the film, it would be that it starts slowly, as it has to build up the relationship between the characters before the plot thickens, but stick with it, it's worth it. And for those of you who care about extras, there is the trailer, but nothing else.

Career defining performances, a great script, a unique story in the best cinematic tradition (no CGI or stupid cliches here) and cracking soundtrack, unless you somehow slept through puberty, you'll love the Breakfast Club.
on 30 December 2008
I bought this dvd just because it was cheaper than the one disc version, and I was pleasantly surprised!
The bonus disc has a 12-part documentary that I'd never seen before with cast members (Ally Sheedy, Judd Nelson, Anthony Michael Hall, the care-taker)and film-makers discussing the film and its cultural resonance. They also discuss the Brat Pack label and it's impact on the actors' careers. There are different parts for each character and the music soundtrack.
on 3 December 2006
The first time I saw this movie I was around 12 and even though it was 13 years ago I still remember it was aired on a Sunday (I guess that shows what a deep impact it had on me). Unfortunately I forgot the name of the movie (but never about the movie itsself!) and it was only last year when the release of the DVD was announced on Amazon.de (I have to tell you I'm 25 years old now, which means that I hadn't seen the movie for around 12 years!) and I was like "OMG those are the kids from this genious movie I saw so long ago!" And now I know the movie by heart, and Judd Nelson has become my most favorite actor (it's just a shame that this genious actor has wasted his talent on so many bad movies...).

Even though it's actually a teen movie it's not boring at all watching it as an adult. I think you simply see the movie in a different view when you watch it as an adult, but it does not loose a tiny bit of its brilliance.

Besides, I made my younger relatives who are teens now watch it and they loved it too, which shows that you don't have to be an 80s teen to love it, it's simply a timeless classic!

To give a short overview about the story, there's five teens who are in detention, they get introduced to you as the typical stereotypes you find in all schools now and then I guess: a princess (Molly Ringwald), a sporto (Emilio Estevez), a criminal (Judd Nelson), a brain (Anthony Michael Hall) and a weirdo (Ally Sheedy). They see each other and they immediatelly think they have nothing in common, and they are full of prejudices (so are you when you see them in the beginning of the movie), but they (and you, too) have to realize that they are not so different after all and you should never judge a book by its cover.

This movie will make you laugh, it'll make you sad, and it'll make you think.

Next to the brilliant story that is delivered to you by brilliant acting performances it also has a gorgeous soundtrack.

The only bad thing about the DVD are the special effects, because there are none but the trailer. No interview, no deleted scenes, nothing. It's a shame!

I really hope there's be an anniversery special edition when this movie becomes 25...
on 21 October 2006
Being an 80's kid I'll admit I'm slightly biased in saying this is one of the best films ever! This is a perfect film for most people who enjoy a film to have a storyline and to see the change that characters go through a film (not a typical cliché buddy movie though)

This film more than any other teen movie that I've seen, shows the divisions that an American high school may have (I'm from the UK so I'm guessing) in a heightened way, yet it remains a very serious moving picture... with comic effect thrown in for good measure.

The basic story is five high school students all have Saturday detention and must put up with each other, on their own for the day. From the first motif of the high school we get an idea of what these divisions maybe. And the rest of the film shows them talking to each other in a way they're probably not used to in their own niche of school life. The criminal stops insulting someone for 5 minutes and gets to know someone for themselves, rather than the clothes they wear... the jock gets to say what HE'S feeling and the nerd gets spoken to! although you could probably see the ending coming before you even put the dvd in the player, this is still a film you'll want to see till the end, simply to see how all the kids end up.

Although the "day" closes well we never find out if the day changed any of the children permanently, and that's almost the point of the film. firstly about how everyone under their clothes or musical taste are all people, but also how people can get forced into these stereotypes and no matter what they do they will forever be known as a jock, criminal, princess etc....

I would highly recommend this film to anyone who has an interest in films based on high school life, because chances are this film started it!

Often quoted as "the film of the 80's" this is a must watch (at the very least) for any movie collection, but especially people who don't need films being blown up every 5 seconds and people who can watch a "comedy" with probably less that 10 jokes in the whole film!
on 14 July 2015
This 30th Anniversary Edition boasts of a brand new fully restored HD Master.

Special Features:-
NEW Accepting the Facts: The Breakfast Club Trivia Track
Sincerely Yours: A 12 part documentary (480i; 51:25)
The Most Convenient Definitions: The Origins of the Brat Pack (480i; 5:30)
Theatrical Trailer (480i; 1:25)
Feature Commentary with actors Judd Nelson and Anthony Michael Hall

There is also a Digital HD Ultraviolet download.

The picture quality seems very good as is the sound.

I paid £6.40 for my copy.
on 2 June 2014
Being a 90's kid I love old movies with the raw feel it shows how people who live different lives can be the same in many ways it's emotional and crazy but you'll love it. I often find myself searching for older movies like this as the acting is raw and coming of age movies feel more real than the ones you get today. It's classic and timeless and I will definitely be making my kids watch this (When I have them)
I would recommend you watch this.
TOP 500 REVIEWERon 24 June 2016
This and many of the Brat Pack films were favourites of mine when I was young. I have introduced my teenage daughter to a lot of the films from this era which she has loved but I didn't have a copy of this film on DVD and so she asked if I would order a copy so she could watch it. She enjoyed it as much as the other films from this era. In my eyes, this is a classic.
on 7 May 2016
The Breakfast Club is one of my all-time favourite movies. Growing up as a teenager in the 80s, I watched loads of Brat Pack movies, many of which were directed by the brilliant John Hughes. This is an absolute classic, so when my partner said he'd never seen it, and I couldn't find it in my extensive VHS collection, there was only one option...buy it!
It has an excellent cast in Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estevez, Judd Nelson, Ally Sheedy and Anthony Michael Hall. Each plays an American High School stereotype: princess, jock, metalhead, weirdo and nerd (respectively). All have been placed into a Saturday detention for various misdemeanours. Over the course of the film, we find out more about their characters, and as the storyline develops, we get to see beyond first impressions and the characters' stereotypical exteriors.
It also has an amazing soundtrack that features the Simple Minds theme song, 'Don't You Forget About Me'.
If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it and think all teenagers should watch it, as the narrative has a lot to say about tolerance and understanding, as it encourages you to put yourself in others' shoes and see things from their perspective - a perspective you might never have imagined otherwise.
on 20 November 2015
Very good film from the mid-1980s that has scarcely dated. Most people who have been teenagers at school, whatever their age now, will recognise some things in it.

Details of the plot or whether this film fits into a genre are less important as a guide to whether you would like it than the fact that it is really well done, although it may only be 10 or 15 minutes into the film before you really begin to 'get' it.

It is obvious from the first few seconds, when the screen is filled with a slightly pretentious quotation from David Bowie written on a purple background, which suddenly shatters into shards of coloured glass to reveal the building where the action is to take place, that this film is something different.

This film is about a Saturday morning and afternoon in the life of a group of American High School students, who normally hang out with different cliques in their school. They start with little in common other than that they all have to spend the day in detention as punishment for some misdemeanour or other. There is a rebel who sets out to annoy everyone, a fashionable girl with wealthy parents, a school sports star, a strange girl who does not normally talk to people much, and a science nerd who acted out of character to be put in detention. By the end of the afternoon, when they are released, there is a solidarity between them all, and a couple of romances have started. However, it is left open as to whether the adolescent pressure to conform to their respective social sets will allow them to remain unlikely friends.

For me, the ginger-haired actress Molly Ringwald and dark-haired, black-clad actress Ally Sheedy are particularly interesting, but all the young actors are good.

While mostly trying to be quite realistic, in a couple of places the film frees itself to be more fantastical, especially the sequence in which the characters spontaneously burst into a wonderful choreographed dance. I especially love to see Molly Ringwald’s dancing, even though the style is more conventional than some of the others. At another point when the students, sneaking out of the detention room while the teacher is away, dodge behind a corner, they move as cartoon characters would.

Some lines and dramatic moments are really good in the context although it is hard to explain why out of context, like when one of the girls suddenly kisses one of the boys, he asks her why and she replies “Because I knew you wouldn’t”; or when she helps an odd seeming girl to groom herself to look more normal and better presented, and when the girl asks why, she replies “Because you’re letting me”.

The ending is not outwardly surprising or dramatic, basically the teenagers say good bye and set off home or are collected by their parents, but in a way that is hard to explain and perhaps has to be experienced, it still manages to be uplifting, and leaves the viewer feeling that both they and the characters have experienced something important.

I cannot say if the rock anthem ‘Don’t You’ performed by Simple Minds over the last frame and credits is a great song on its own merits, as I shall always associate it so closely with the emotions created by this film that I cannot separate the two, but it is great here.

The ensemble of young actors at the heart of this film have all had long subsequent careers although, sadly, rarely again achieving such success.

Some of them, sometimes with the same Writer/Director John Hughes (who died in 2010) worked together in other 1980s films, but most reviewers seem to agree that ‘The Breakfast Club’ is the best.

Molly Ringwald has since also had a parallel career as a jazz singer (not my kind of music, but probably would appeal a lot to those who like jazz-style singing). She subsequently lived in France for several years where she appeared in several French films (if anyone who reads this has seen any of them, please leave a comment as to what they are like and any you recommend?). More recently, she wrote a personal advice column for the Guardian newspaper in Britain.

‘Ally’ (Alexandra) Sheedy had already achieved fame at the age of 12 writing her one and only children’s book, ‘She was Nice to Mice’, a best-seller in the USA, about a mouse at the court of Queen Elizabeth I of England. Despite these early peaks, and occasional well-reviewed, but not always widely seen, film performances in later years, her career and life have apparently brought her quite a few disappointments since.

I do not know how the cast really feel now when people still want to talk about ‘The Breakfast Club’, rather than what they have done in the 30 years since, but thanks to all of them for making this wonderful film anyway.
on 9 September 2000
This is my favourite film ever. I can't quite say why as there are too many reasons. I thought Judd Nelson was particularly great as was Emilio Estevez. However that is not to detract from the other great performances by Molly Ringwald, Ally Sheedy, Anthony Michael Hall, John Kapelos and Paul Gleason. When I tell people that its about 5 students in detention they just look at me but its the journey we take with Alison, Andy, Bender, Brian and Claire that makes it so superb. If this teaches us anything its that people have problems no matter how blessed you think they are. I liked this whole era of films such as St Elmo's Fire, Pretty in Pink etc and while other viewers find it brings back memories of the 80's I am enjoying these films as a 90's viewer. If I had to summarise The Breakfast Club in three words it would be superb, brilliant and excellent. To anyone reading this who hasn't seen the film buy it now you won't regret it.
I also liked Vernon being analysed by Karl who tells him that he only took a teaching position cos he thought it would be easy. "Then you found that it was actually work and that really bummed you out" However my favourite line is too hard to choose as 10 or 11 spring to mind immediately. It is not an exageration to say I have watched it about 100 times and will never get sick of it.