Customer reviews

Toccata / Play Bach
Format: Audio CD|Change

on 27 July 2012
I think this was JL's first UK release back in 1963 - or at least, that's when I first heard it, and as a young musician at the beginning of his career, I was completely knocked out by Loussier's concept and what he was doing with it. I first had this album on vynil, but with constant moves, frequently including different countries, the vynil got lost in the mists of my very strange life. However, I never forgot the music, and when I was browsing through Amazon, looking for something else, I was delighted to find JL's Toccata on CD. I ordered it straight away on the Monday of the week and it arrived two days later on the Wednesday. Well done Amazon for a brilliant service! Almost 50 years since I first heard Loussier's music, it has lost none of it excitement and vibrancy; I would recommend this CD to any Jazz aficionado, and also, with some mischief in my soul, to anyone who loves the work of J.S. Bach.
on 7 September 2017
So good I bought it three times!
on 31 December 2017
One of my favourite CDs
on 17 May 2015
Absolutely Marvellous - a joy to listen to!
on 23 May 2010
repeats of old recordigs, variations on others ,precise playing,no lack of interest,the Rubinstein of jazz
on 30 November 2008
I first became acquainted with much of these works nearly a quarter of a century ago and of course they were vinyl LPs. I threw out all my vinyl long ago so Mr Loussier had not featured in my music collection for some time. Many of us have replaced our old vinyl with back catalogue CDs and that was my intention when I bought this beauty.
Well 'Quelle Surprise!'. These are not re-issues or re-masters, Mr Loussier has been back into the studios to re-record a large body of his work for re-release on Digital media. These recordings are absolutely fantastic and when you have these CDs playing you would think Mr Loussier is playing live in your sitting room.
True advocates of Jazz are noted for not being appreciative of Loussiers' Jazz inspired improvisational interpretations of Bach, they consider him to be a lightweight, but his style is relatively easy on the ear and should appeal to listeners whose love of music does not stretch to the more involved elements of Jazz.
In any case, I'm of an age that I cannot listen to one particular track without thinking of 'A Cigar Called Hamlet'................(ref,. to a UK TV advert.)
on 26 March 2006
This cd contains some of Bach's most beautiful pieces of classical music ... yet it is unmistakably a jazz cd! A piano and drums go together on this cd to bring new like to Bach's music. Although the sound of this cd is quite unlike that of most 'standard' recordings of Bach's music, this cd keeps all the life and spirit of Bach's music. The cd is light, breezy and very cheerful. There are too many good tracks to make it possible to list them all! Tracks that commend themselves for special notice, however, are: Air on G String, Italian Concerto in F Major, and Minuet in G. If you like Bach and like jazz then buy this cd and you won't be disappointed. It is the perfect match between the feel of clasical music and the sound of jazz!
on 5 December 2010
If you are looking for a Loussier Bach Album that represents his breadth of work over many decades, then this is it! Beautifully recorded on two DDD CD's there is over two hours of Loussier at his best. Highly recommended!
on 23 November 2010
Lovely stuff and beautifully recorded. Intricate jazz with a classical feel.
Great for an intimate dinner party or relax to it with a fruity red !

Recommended !
on 9 August 2006
Maybe the title of this review isn't entirely accurate.

The fault in this album doesn't lie in the execution of its ( daring) idea, but rather in its planning.

I had expected drawn out improvisations based on Bach motifs, playful twists on harmonies and scope given to the drummer and bassist to improvise. The drummer beats out a tiresome repeated rhythm, the bassist walks prosaically, and all that is to be heard from the piano is a corruption of familiar tunes over some lazily jazzified harmonies.

There was scope for this to be an interesting project, but its daring would've demanded a pianist with alot of vision and grounding in both classical and jazz music (e.g. Jarrett). Loussier falls short, even though his initial idea was interesting.
11 Comment| 12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you? Report abuse