Shop now Shop now</arg> Shop now Shop now Learn More Shop now Shop now Learn more Shop Fire Shop Kindle Listen with Prime Shop now

Format: VHS Tape|Change
Price:£3.01+ £2.80 shipping

on 15 November 2003
I first saw this gem at my grandparent's house when I was about eight, and then several more times till I was 11. The story I find is lovable and gripping, and is just one of the most enjoyable and emotional Disney films of all time. It was made in 1981, only 22 years ago, but the animation still remains lovable to this day, as are the characters. Some scenes are sad and emotional, others are exciting, and some are just hilarious!! I am thinking about buying this now considering I haven't seen it for nearly five years! Though some say it is aimed for kids, I would say this is for anyone of any age. I may be 16 now, but that has not stopped me from enjoying this underrated masterpiece, and I'm sure many people around and above my age will agree with me. This film is has plenty of bright, uplifting scenes perfect for a rainy day. Scarily enough I cannot watch this film without weeping at least once!
You can never be too old to enjoy a Disney film. This is by far one of the best. If you want it, buy it. I know I will!
on 24 February 2009
Disney films have been the best part of childhood. Its always been a magical thing for me and i still get that lovely feeling everytime i watch one. Its about a fox called Tod and a Hound dog named Copper. They become best friends until Copper goes away to be trained as a hunting dog. If you haven't watched it i wont spoil it, but its great. It teachs children the value of friendship. There's great characters like Dinky and Boomer, two birds desperate to get the same caterpillar, and Chief, an old dog who is grumpy and miserable. altogether another classic Disney film!
on 24 May 2002
A lovely story of a friendship tested and endured, showing kids that people can be friends no matter how differently the world perceives them or how different the paths of their lives are. My son has watched this video again and again over the years, from being a small child to now being a 'cool 10 yearold'. Though it's age prevents modern special effects, this is in no way detracts from the enjoyment of this story.
on 16 October 2012
Disney's Fox & The Hound is considered to be only a minor classic. Produced during Disney's 80's doldrums it suffers from a lack of pace and a heavy handed approach to a simple story and a truly awful intrusive music score!

Disney, as such recognising it as not being one of their most note worthy films, has decided against giving the film the usual extensive clean up and restoration it has offered pretty much all of it's other titles to date and so what we have here is a very lacklustre release with a faded print (complete with marks and blemishes) and a rather woolly soundtrack. Whilst it is a "high Def" transfer unfortunately with out the restoration/remastering work this only highlights and draws attention to the flaws and processes of the original animation.

Now of course this is a kids film and the target market is for the very young so are they really going to notice and care about the presentation of this minor film? Certainly not enough to warrant a full blown expensive restoration. However that does beg the question why bother with many of the other "minor" titles that actually have been done?

There is a sizeable minority who are collectors and enjoy animation as a process as well as enjoying the story and the nostalgia of their youth. These people do appreciate the care, time and money spent on restoring these films and as such are prepared to spend their own money on the special editions and releases when they become available.

A sloppy transfer and a botched release such as this one damages the brand and makes the collection if not worthless at least devalued and after several negative reviews will seriously sway floating purchasers away from buying the product.

Having bought this on a 2 for 1 pro-motion I have only paid about £8 for it - which is perhaps a fair price. However if I had purchased this at full price I would be very disappointed and would hold off buying any further titles until the reviews confirm that a decent job has been done on the transfer.

I hope this review is a salutary warning to both would be purchasers and to any one at Disney reading about this product.
on 6 June 2012
This review isn't so much about the movie (which is a solid 3 star effort) but the sheer cheek of Disney to charge pretty much sixteen quid for such a rushed bare bones sloppy conversion which honestly probably looks better on dvd.
I watched this and Lady & The Tramp on the same day and have to say the difference in picture quality is astounding.
You have been warned, if we keep blindly buying this crap then Disney will keep churning it out lazily.
VOTE with your wallets, I urge you.
on 25 September 2016
Rather a traditional Disney movie - not much substance to the story, fairly preachy in manner, and the characters aren't developed very well as they have tended to be in Disney movies of the last couple of years. Still a beautiful story, however, and the art is wonderful. It might be a tad more enjoyable for nostalgic purposes than for actual entertainment, ​however, even for children. Best for those eight and below, or nostalgic and immature saps like me.
on 28 November 2009
I browsed through Disney classics and The Fox and The Hound became the obvious choice. It is a Disney animation I have not previously seen. "The Fox and the Hound" represents one of the finest and elegant pieces to date by Disney. The loveable characters, nice story, trademark humour and enchanting settings are the main features of "The Fox and the Hound". I really enjoyed watching it. The fact that Christmas is in the corner made the occasion watching it extra special. The Fox and the Hound was released in 1981. It is based in the North American forest, where nature is something to really admire. It is about a special bonding between a fox and hound. The friendship is really challenged, when the hound is trained to be a hunter of the fox. Does the friendship last? The real beauty about the Disney animations it is magical and make what seems not possible come true. Fox and The Hound joins the list of Disney classics, which share unforgettable moments. Disney has scored a winner with the animation for the whole family to really enjoy.
on 7 February 2012
Second to The Lion King, I love this film. I first watched it when I was about 14 and bawled my eyes out. 10 years later and it still gets to me. A wonderful story about a fox and a hound and how they become friends despite the fact that society seems them as enemies. The film follows them through fun and adventure and then trials and tribulations. The ending is what gets to me; due to those around them, they realise they can't live in harmony with each other but work out a way to both go about their day to day business. Wonderful and beautiful film
on 11 February 2009
I got this film for my daughter on vhs when she was a little girl,she watched it over and over and eventually over the years the sound dissapeared.I then replaced the old video with the dvd. She is now 18 and still loves to watch it.Its a real favourite in our family.
on 27 November 2014
One of my most beloved Disney movie ever! And the limited edition slipcover/sleeve makes it even more perfect!