Customer reviews

Format: Audio CD|Change

on 24 April 2000
Following the mediocre new albums from Oasis and Embrace, it was up to Doves to restore my faith in 'epic' British guitar music. 'Lost Souls' succeeds spectacularly on this count. If Noel Gallagher had had any ambition, 'Standing on the shoulder of giants' might have sounded a little more like this record rather than the below-par Beatles facsimile he offered us instead. Although at 1 hour long the LP is perhaps a little too much for one sitting, the sheer quality of the songs and the originality of the way they are produced makes it a compelling debut. Particular highlights are the singles 'The Cedar Room', 'Sea Song' and 'Here It Comes' but the spectacular 'Rise', the La's-esque 'Melody Calls' and the gorgeous 'The Man Who Told Everything' demonstrate the sheer depth of this record. As the mark I've given it indicates, it's not a faultless album; a couple of the songs drag a little (the title track in particular sounds great but doesn't really go anywhere interesting), but this is still the first great debut of the year and one of the best albums of the year full stop. A triumph.
on 16 April 2009
We often love albums because they were the soundtrack to certain events or periods of our lives. This album sounds like, feels like, and possibly even smells like the early Summer of 2000 and a period of my life that I do occasionally look back on and wonder if it was really some quirky Film4 offering. Enough of that. I still listen to this incredible album regularly and it never fails to amaze and transport me away from all the rubbish of modern life. Eclectic, dark, brooding, stirring and errrrrm lovely I suppose. In my humblest of opinions, Doves have never quite lived up to this - their debut, and sadly, neither has this decade. Here's to the night in 2000 when I went with a mate of mine to see a band called Terris at The Roadmender in Northampton - we listened to Lost Souls in the car there and back - Terris were supported by a band called Coldplay - my they got big very quick. It was me that shouted 'get yer hair cut' at Chris Martin, which he did. And because he did, Gwyneth fell for him and they got married. No need to thank me Chris. I was sober and straight that night, high only on that rare feeling where you really love an album and cant wait to play it again - Lost Souls - absolute genius and a beautiful beautiful album.
on 13 July 2006
This is the first album by Doves, and is it the best? Hmmmm. As far as debuts go its the best since Oasis' Definitely Maybe

I have owned this album for about 3 years and have constantly listened to it. It stayed in my cd player in my car throughout my 4th year of university.

It is, put very simply, an amazing album. The listener will not be disappointed in any way, if they are a fan of top british guitar/indie rock.

Lost Souls has everything you could ask for: rousing instrumental tracks (firesuite, reprise), feel good rock (The Cedar Room), chilled out mood tracks (break me gently, here it comes) familiar, chart tracks (catch the sun) and an amazingly eerie track to finish it off (a house).

The only problem is deciding which album of the three they have released is the best? The follow up entitled The Last Broadcast has caught by the river and there goes the fear, whilst the newest album Some Cities has the title track and almost forgot myself.

solution: buy all three from the new and used section in here and then see for yourself - i personally have to hand it to Lost Souls (due enormously to The Cedar Room and A House)
The Doves made their stunning debut with "Lost Souls," a brooding, symphonic rock album that is impossible to forget. The Manchester group delivers the basics -- simple melodies are layered with richly psychedelic sound, anguished songs about how it's "a crime to feel." If it is, then the Doves are accessories to the crime.
"Firesuite" opens the album in a unique way -- a chaotic rumble that turns into midtempo pop, dissolves into eerie sound effects, and then turns into a shudderingly epic rock song. On that note, the Doves dive into the heady rock of "Here It Comes" and the acoustically-based ballad "Man Who Told Everything." Other songs chart more twisted territory -- "Break Me Gently" is a mournful, grey-toned psychedelic head trip.
It's a rarity to find an album with no filler at all -- the closest thing "Lost Souls" has is "Reprise." It's even rarer to find an album than can do just about any kind of Brit-rock -- the Doves demonstrate power pop, shades of hard rock, and large doses of psychedelica. What's more, they often weave them all together at once.
The music is so seamless and smooth that it's a bit of a shock to see all that was involved in making it. The instrumentation is pretty standard: mellow acoustic guitar, some backing electric guitars, roiling basslines and solid drums. Then the brooding music is wrapped up in a few sound samples and windy-sounding programming. It sounds simple, but the results are mind-bendingly.
Vocalist/guitarist Jimi Goodwin has a great voice for this music -- his vocals actually manage to be the centerpiece of the music. He sounds strong and a bit depressed, as he sings about escaping from his life, burning houses and the loss of a love. "A House" is the most upbeat the album gets, with Goodwin singing gently, "Day after day and the life goes on/and I try and see the good in everyone/if I ever find myself here again/I'll give everything."
The gloriously dark music of the Doves is fully realized in their debut, "Lost Souls." Though it deserves much better, this is one of the lesser-known gems of British rock.
on 16 December 2000
Asked the question back in 1997 of "Whatever happened to Sub Sub?", I gave a pithy answer of them being down a very deep well, exactly where they belonged. Much to my amazment and, more to the point, joy they managed to fish themselves out of that well and reformed as Doves, releasing this masterpiece of a debut, which is nothing short of breathtaking.
From the opening bars of "Firesuit" it is clear that this is no ordinary album. All is there, the basics of guitar, bass and drums, but there is also the richness and depth of the samples and programming. Those years of Sub Sub were clearly not all wasted.
All songs on this recording are stunning, but the ones that really stand out are "Sea Song", "The Man Who Told Everything" and "The Cedar Room". Never before now has the post Britpop idie been so poinient.
Well,as Bob Dylan once said "The times they are a chaniging". Grey is the new black, left wing and right wing are the same thing and meloncholy is the new joy. Celebrate these changes with this album. You will not be dissapointed.
on 11 April 2009
What surprises me about Lost Souls (easily one of this decades best LPs) is that it didn't have a bigger impact upon release. In fact today, even the media over look this album when writing about Doves. The Last Broadcast and Some Cities (as wonderful as they are) always take the limelight from this debut. I'm happy to have had the pleasure of this masterpiece since its release (nearly 10 years). Everyone should have Lost Soul.
on 9 May 2001
This was the first album I have ever bought purely on the strength of reviews. I literally had never heard one song on the album, but was swayed by lines such as 'this is an absolutely essential album for fans of guitar music'. When I first stuck the CD in and listened through the album I thought 'what a load of dire, caterwauling rubbish', and tossed it aside. But, I figured there must be something to it if so many people liked it. So, I battled through a few more listens...and guess what...I now think it is simply superb. It is NOT catchy, or instant, which is why you'll need to give it time, and why comparisons with Coldplay's Parachutes are misleading. I honestly thought 'The Cedar Room' was abysmal when first I heard it, but I now think its moody, atmospheric and there is a great melody in there. 'Rise', 'Melody Calls'...the list goes on. The title track is the only one that is weak. My advice is give it a try...my musical reference points are Suede, Radiohead, The Verve, U2, Belle and Sebastian and Ash...like these? You'll love Doves...
VINE VOICEon 3 March 2006
The finest record by a British band since The Boo Radley´s "Giant Steps." This is a sprawling sonic masterpiece that for me straddles musical genres. The range of this band is simply staggering. While it still sounds quintessentially British this group manage to create structurally interesting songs whilst their more popular peers, Oasis and Coldplay are busy doing things that have been done a thousand times before.
The guitarist is a complete genius, listen to the punchy riff, on ,"Here it comes," it somehow carries the beautifully wispy lyrics. I´ve never heard a band make better use of organs and pianos, every single note is meticulously thought out and makes each song distinctive. The classic track has to be,"Rise," it sounds like a meandering dream written down in musical form, the mouth organ and the aquatic sounding guitar make it. "Melody calls," is a perfect slice of melodic pop but yet the melodies are so multi-layed. I often feel I´m going down a never ending tunnel when I listen to this. This record is so texturally rich,"Catch the Sun," is a brilliantly upbeat moment, the emotions continually peak and trough.
Reading the inlay cover gives you an idea of this group´s broad musical palette, some of the bass does sound like the type of thing carrying A Tribe called Quest track along.
There are no words to explain how good this is. I hope it goes down in the annuls as one of the greatest records ever recorded by a British act. This, my friends is music.
on 14 May 2001
This is one of those albums that you buy, purely on the basis of the media hype. I myself had already heard "Here it comes" and "The Cedar Room" - and instantly found Jimi Goodwins vocals enchanting and beautiful. The opening track "Firesuite" was actually a Sub Sub B-Side, but in this album it is the perfect opener for this masterpiece.
"Rise" is just one of the joyous tracks you really want to listen to when your on a high, "Catch the Sun" gets my vote for Pop Single of the year whilst "The Man Who Told Everything" is quite simply one of the most beautiful songs ever. Not bad for an early 90's dance act!!!
on 22 July 2001
I always believed Massive Attack's Mezzanine was my ultimate chill album, but these guys have happily changed my judgment. Such a variety of emotion oozes from this album... i love it. Best listened to late at night by candle light when you need to chill and be sent into a trance! Get it and you'l treasure it.