Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 12 February 2016
A wonderfully dark journey into the imagination.

This is a film bursting with ideas, a cast perfectly suited to their roles and a expertly crafted atmosphere. The film combines a 1940s feel (Particularly the dialogue) with elements which crosses over into science fiction and horror, not unlike the Tim Burton Batman films of the same decade.

The plot follows a man with no memory, on the run both from the police and sinister agents, with a stranger's help he must uncover the truth about himself and the world around him which is not as it first seems, why for instance is it always night and why doesn't anyone seem able to leave the city? The score is nicely put together and really drives the movie along as well as some brilliant work from the art department.

The reason I couldn't quite give it 5 stars was, as I said the film is bursting with interesting ideas but some of them feel underdeveloped and I wanted them explored a little more, running at 100 minutes the theatrical version does feel slightly rushed, especially the ending. Also the motivation of the Strangers was also a bit unclear and non threatening to me, the consequences of their meddling was rarely shown and I think I'd have preferred it if the film makers had not revealed so early the existence of the aliens on the other side. These are minor complaints though, overall this is a fine movie.
on 25 July 2017
Nice movie
on 28 August 2017
Great film, Watched it many times
on 1 January 2011
This film has so much going for it with great special effects, a worthy cast, an interesting concept and as it has been pointed out - it was done a year before the Matrix, so it should be a done deal. Problem is that there was something missing and I'm not sure I can put my finger on it.

I do say that it is one of those sci-fi films that is a must see for any who are into the genre, especially of the comic-book and/or gothic variety. It will give you enjoyment and may grip you somewhat.

But perhaps I've just watched too many films over the years that are supposed to be thrillers. I didn't find this one to be particularly challenging and it was obvious what was happening within the first half and hour of the film. For instance harking back to films like Blade Runner there was always the element of leaving certain things unresolved in order to enhance the tension. I didn't feel any of this in Dark City and I think that this is a trick that the writer/director(s) missed.

Although there is the one part of the movie I did particularly enjoy and it is at the end but I can find no way of alluding to it without spoiling the ending of the film and to be honest the ending is fairly weak without the great special effects.

I actually want to lie and say what a fantastic film it was and totally faultless because I really enjoyed what the film was ATTEMPTING to achieve. But perhaps you need to watch it for yourselves and decide.
on 31 March 2009
Dark City has been one of my favourite films for many years, it's a criminally underrated sci-fi film that, like one of it's influences, Blade Runner, was a flop when it was released and is only now starting to recieve some of the praise it deserves. Also, like Blade Runner, a decade after it's release it now sees the film given the 'director's cut' treatment. Unfortunately, unlike Blade Runner, this new cut does not improve/radically transform the film the way Ridley Scott's did. The main alteration is the removal of the opening narration which basically gave away the whole twist to the film, so that now the beginning of the film seems much more mysterious and is all the better for it. The rest of the changes just consist of slightly extended scenes that don't really add a great deal to the film. The dubbing of Jennifer Connolly's singing has been removed so that you can now actually hear the actress' own voice however there was a reason for why she was dubbed - she's just not a very good singer and I feel it let's those scenes down. Another gripe is that the excellent musical score has been significantly toned down to the extent that it's often barely noticeable which is a shame as I felt it really added to the atmosphere of the film. And some of the special effects actually seem to have been made less 'special' which I also think is a mistake. Where this DVD scores over the previous release, however, is in terms of it's extras which boast 3 commentaries, and a very informative 'making of' documentary. But in terms of the film itself, I feel that the original theatrical cut is actually the one I prefer, just turn the volume down for the first 2 minutes so you don't hear the opening 'spoiler' narration and you have a much more satisfying movie.
on 13 April 2013
Interesting to see the whole version and how the director wanted the production. This is one of the most interesting sci-fi's I have seen lately.
on 19 August 2015
I have seen this many times on television and I liked it every time. Dark, dystopian world where sun never rises and aliens keep humans as test subjects for their studies. One man wakes up in the middle of one such study and starts to fight back. Good science fiction and definitely a cult classic. I love it.
on 16 July 2014
Facinating Sci-Fi of its genre. Top of the heap definitely.
on 30 July 2014
Superb
on 22 April 2015
Everything a true sci-fi movie from 1989 should have.