Customer reviews

on 26 August 2009
A phemononal story that had to be told. A drama about soldiers but not about them fighting, but being forced not to fight and sitting on the sidelines of a war they don't understand and cannot do anything about.

The reactions of the soldiers as they gradually slip into melancholy and depression shows the futility of "peacekeeping" when there is no peace to keep, and the limitations of the international community to influence complex local conflicts. There is no sense of black and white, just shades of grey.

Bizarre that this has never come out in the UK, but don't worry, the Dutch version is fine to watch.

A must see.
on 20 November 2017
A brilliant film. Well packaged.
on 27 August 2017
very good
on 28 November 2003
WOW!!! What an amazing film. I first watched this when it was aired on the BBC a few years ago and I have been meaning to buy it for a long time.
I have not for many years seen a film that evokes such an emotive reaction, you will experience grief, anger, sympathy & guilt watching this highly emotive and accurate portrayal of our British troops as UN peace keepers in Bosnia.
Lets hope this film will remain a stark reminder of the horrific war crimes and ethnic cleansing that happened during that time and no doubt similar atrocities which still happen all over the world to this day. How easy it is to forget.
Congratulations to the beeb for portraying this difficult story with such humility as it deserves. A must, must, must buy!!
on 18 March 2008
It seems that the BBC are not going to release this as a UK version on DVD. That is a shame as it is one of the best TV dramas of the last few years, equally as good Kosminsky's other works (Goverment Inspector etc.). Come on the Beeb sort it out!
on 15 February 2008
Having watched this drama on BBC when it was first broadcast so I was more than pleased when I found it on DVD. The big downside is that it is void of at least two scenes right in the middle which as a result can make it look a little disjointed, especially if you have never seen it before. Had this not been the case then I would have awarded it the full five stars. I hope that the full version is released in due course as it is an excellent well acted realistic drama, based on real life events.
on 30 April 2003
Warriors is a hard hitting drama from the BBC. I first watched it 4 years ago, and watching again recently still left me in awe. The soldiers are human and humane, but hamstrung by the UN regulations.
Unable to help people directly due to fears of 'ethnic cleansing' they leave people to die at the hands of monsters who used to be their neighbours.
The drama also shows the effects of the conflict on their lives when they return to Britain.
A number of outstanding performances lend realism to the production. None more so than Matthew MacFadyen, who plays the scouser Pvt James, who deals with what he experiences in a simple, humane way. He is left baffled by the authorities unwillingness or inability to do the right thing. His passage from a joker to a hurt human being is the pivot of the drama; he experiences the very worst of all the shocking (and graphic) misfortunes that befall the crew. The things that they see and cannot affect cause anguish to those at ground level.

You must watch this.
on 7 January 2007
I was one of the soldiers interviewed for my accounts of the conflict and even 15 years later i still suffer from the reminder of this un peace keeping force, top marks to the film crew and the director for making an honest drama for the world to see, what the troops had to endure during their tour of duty and remain unaffected is beyond belive i hope we never have another conflict like this again. to my comrades that we lost on our tour your gone but never forgotten
on 7 October 2009
I have never been a big fan of war films so I don't really know why I watched this when it was first shown on TV, but I did and was totally hooked.
It may have been because it was about a war that happened in my life time and possibly because I have a child but its one of the few films I have seen that I have to unplug the phone, ignore the doorbell and make sure I have a box of tissues for.
In spite of the fact that it is not a happy feelgood film I would recommend that everyone see it at least once, everything about it is excellent. I'm not sure that it gives any answers but it does make you think and give you a deeper understanding of what it is like to be on active service and why it is so hard for 'our boys' when they come home.
on 23 September 2007
Why this has not been released in the UK yet on DVD is a mystery to me. I have just a recording and this review is about the drama not the Dutch DVD. It is about one regiment (?) of British soldiers and their tour of duty in Bosnia as peacekeepers from beginning to end. There are three main characters whose lives back home we are shown before they leave and then return, affected by their experiences. Ioan Gruffydd (Hornblower) and Damien Lewis (Band of Brothers) are cast as two officers and Matthew Macfadyen (Spooks) as either a private or N.C.O. They witness a number of the most notorious incidents that occured. We see their frustration as they are not even allowed to move some civilians to safety as it would seem they are contributing to ethnic cleansing. I believe this was shown on BBC. It is a well acted, authentic looking drama. I hope it gets released over here.