on 4 October 2011
Lisa Stansfield has developed a reputation for recording jazz classics on various side projects despite having enjoyed massive global success as a pop/R&B/dance diva in the 90s through the millennium years. Lisa was first introduced to jazz via Diana Ross' soundtrack to "Lady Sings the Blues". She credits Diana Ross' music for getting her into the business.

"Swing" is a charming little Brit indie love story of a young jazz ensemble looking to get their big break. The music is a mixture of jazz classics with originals written by her long time collaborator husband/producer, Ian Devaney. The songs are in the swing tradition obviously. So if you are looking for more torch-like performances this is much truer to swing.

Lisa's vocals are as strong as they are in her many gold and platinum albums in her discography.

As she decides what direction to take her music next, Lisa has been taking on various acting projects. She and Hugo Speer, the sexy bloke from "The Full Monty" play a wonderful romantic duo with challenges and apt jazz cred.

If you are a fan of Lisa's music, which I am, this is a neat addition to your catalog. If you like indie movies, this one fits in with some of the best of that year. If you are a fan of swing music, this will not disappoint.
5 people found this helpful
on 23 May 2018
I paid around £5 for a used copy of the film 'Swing' on DVD. The online description failed to note that it would be the French version. On playing the DVD, I've found that there is no option to change the language or view subtitles. Although I understand and speak the language, my partner does not, and besides, I fancied watching this British film in English. I've contacted the seller, who I hope can send me an English version. If not, I'll have to be an interpreter for the evening 😂
on 30 July 2015
Bought this for my dad's birthday. He absolutely loves it. I basically grew up on the soundtrack so it was lovely to see the film at long last.
One person found this helpful
on 13 April 2016
This is on Amazon prime but when you watch it its not the right movie. Its a rather boring film about a guy learning to swing dance but nothing to do with the Lisa stansfield movie it purports to be.
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 10 January 2017
Decent feel-good film, a little by the numbers and I haven't worked out how to get rid of the Dutch subtitles! But fun if you like swing music and Alexei Sayle always brings a smile.
on 24 December 2015
poor copy with foreign subtitles you cant remove.
cheap and nasty, waste of time and money sent it straight back
|11 Comment|Report abuse
on 16 September 2017
The storyline is a bit weak. It's along the same lines as The Commitments with swing instead of soul, but sadly not as good. I've given it 4 stars because the soundtrack is really good.
on 8 March 2015
I have seen this film years ago on VHS and was so pleased to be able to get it in DVD form but the subtitles render it unwatchable.
on 12 October 2014
Pity it is only in 4:3 picture format.
Takes a while to get going, but the music and Lisa's vocals are great.
One to watch again.