Customer reviews

Format: DVD|Change

on 8 March 2013
I read the book as an adult, because it is one of the classics I missed as a child. I fairly enjoyed the book, and took the risk and got the film. As an adult I moderately enjoyed it. It works on a number of levels, it might be a surprisingly philosophical work, because we all have our secret gardens. Young people should enjoy it. It's always tricky because you tend to favour the first version you see. Older people than me might say oh there is a seventies version, or sixties version, or a black and white version from the 1950s, that knocks spots of this one. They might be right I just don't know. All I know is it's loyal to the book, which is a good start. the child actors are good, because sometimes you get sickly kids that are too sugary sweet, and too cute. These child actors seem to have gone to acting school, and play it sensible. Personally I favour Swallows and Amazons, which is near the top of my list of childrens films. But Secret Garden makes the middle of my list of these kind of classics, and you will not regret adding this to your collection. if you are putting a top 12 together of this kind of film, this does have to be in there.
on 12 August 2017
Beautifully acted and scripted film set in fine period settings in Scotland and England. I think this is the version to have. Very faithful to the book.
on 9 March 2017
Bought for my daughter magical movie liked as a child thought my daughter would she somewhat liked it bargain and delivered fast
on 29 March 2017
watched this as a child, now my grandchildren are watching and loving the film.
on 7 November 2016
Excellent family film. Well written, acted and directed, a moving bittersweet film. Very enjoyable.
on 7 October 2011
I REMEMBER THE SECRET GARDEN AS A TELEVISION SERIES ALONG TIME AGO. IT WAS A JOY TO WATCH THEN, AND THIS VERSION WITH KATE MABERLEY, THEN A YOUNG GIRL OF 10 IS LOVELY.
FORGET TODAYS FAST AND SOMETIMES COMPLICATED WORLD AND JOIN THE CHILDREN IN THEIR
SPECIAL WORLD OF DISCOVERY, HOPE AND LAUGHTER. IT REALLY TAKES YOU OUT OF YOURSELF.
ADULTS AND CHILDREN SHOULD GET LOTS OF PLEASURE FROM THIS DVD.
on 17 March 2017
One of my favourite childhood films. So nostalgic!
on 13 May 2017
Escape for a bit, well made and acted.
on 7 June 2017
Beautiful film ! Had seen it in the cinema years ago, and am so glad I have my own copy now !
on 29 August 2017
Love this film reminds me when I was a kid!