Format: DVD|Change

on 13 August 2010
This is well-filmed & well-acted in general but I did feel that the changes they made to the original storyline weakened the film. In the film, Sara becomes a pauper because the British government confiscates her father's entire estate after he was thought to have perished on a WW1 battlefield...there is no explanation of why the government should do this! Also, it is difficult to believe in a little girl who is concerned about being sent from her home country of India to the strange new land of America, when her concerns are expressed in a strong American accent! Also, Miss Minchin's ultimate fate seemed to make no sense at all. Younger children may enjoy the film without considering these questions, but those old enough to ask 'why' will be frustrated by the lack of sensible answers. Apart from these issues, the film is quite enjoyable.
on 25 June 2014
in the first world war a father puts his daughter in boarding school after returning to the uk from india,but as he is thought to be dead the young girl loses everything and has to be a scullery maid ,but with a nasty evil minded teacher she tries to escape and longs for her papa (daddy).a fantastic film for children and families.
no ssex,or violence or bad language ,a joy to watch
on 7 February 2004
I don't usually watch this kind of 'tear-jurker' film, however to this adaptation of the popular Frances Hodgson Burnett novel, i can usually make an exception. Although i can't watch it regularly, every so often i can sit down and quite enjoy watching it.
It is about a young girl called Sara who is forced to moved to America when her dad is called up to fight in WW1. When he is killed in action not long after, she is left penniless and the horrible Miss Minchin who ownes the school she goes to, decides to keep her on as a slave. It is only her vivid imagination and a group of new friends that help her through it and when she finds out that her Dad is still alive, she has the chance of becoming a little princess again.
There have been criticisms from previous reviewers, saying that it has not stuck closely to the book enough, and while i personally have not read it, i can't really say that it could be any much better than what it is already.
The acting in this film is great and Eleanor Bron plays the wicked Miss Minchin acceptionally well. However, Liesel Matthews who plays the innocent Sara Crewe does get slightly annoying after a while.
A brilliant little childrens film which will entertain adults and children alike from start to finish, and while i don't recommend buying it, it's well worth watching on TV.
on 17 January 2004
I found this film, when I first saw it, to be a bit over the top in sentimentality, and I hated the emphasis on the American content (accents, race, etc.) but when I saw it again I realized how much the two aspects were necessary to the story. This is now one of my favourite films, even though I am 19. I have never read the book, and quite frankly I don't feel the need to. The film itself does one thing that most films have trouble doing: it captures the imagination. Through Sarah's stories and her struggle at the school, the viewer is dragged into Sarah's world with her, feeling her emotions almost as strongly as their own. I for one, though I am not usually sentimental about films, felt as happy at the ending as Sarah herself would have been. I won't give away the ending for those who havent seen it, only say that this is DEFINITELY a worthwhile movie if you like a good story with a happy ending.
on 14 July 2007
This is a beautiful story, i grew up reading the book and watching this movie. This story of Sara Crew is amazingly enchanting. It will capture your heart and make you believe no matter how old you are. A must buy for all those believers out there. Want to go back to your childhood? then... GO ONNNN....Buy this DVD!
on 3 August 2007
Although not quite as great and visually stunning as the previous Frances Hodgson Burnett film adaptation, The Secret Garden, "A Little Princess" is a delightful film to watch any time, anywhere. The story centers around Sara Crewe, a young girl brought from India by her father to be left under the care of Miss Minchin at her institution for girls in New York. Sara has all she could ever want at the school, the most delightful riches and comfort and a bunch of new friends, however, when Miss Minchin informs Sara that her father has been killed in war, Sara is then turned into a servant. She is now required to work for the school in order for Miss Minchin to recover the financial losses caused by Captain Crewe's tragic death.

This Warner Brothers film is wonderfully done. Very detailed surroundings give the movie a believable air that it is set in a more old-fashioned New York. Liesel Matthews does a magnificent job of portraying the main character, Sara Crewe as well as all the other actors and actresses portraying their own characters. I have never read the original F. H. Burnett book, although I have a copy and I plan on reading it soon, so I can't really compare the movie to the book. Either way, the movie is definitely an inspiration to reading the novel, which I expect to be quite different based on other viewers' reviews. I almost forgot to mention that the movie has beautiful music, nice soft ballads that are a combination of a classical rhythm and an Indian-like chorus, as well as the repeated addition of the lovely song, "Kindle My Heart."

If you enjoy this movie, I also recommend viewing the 1993 version of The Secret Garden, filmed by the same studio. I give this movie five overall stars, I've added a VHS copy of it to my collection and plan on enjoying it for many years.
on 18 February 2015
My grandchildren really loved this film, there is a little bit of a scary bit with monsters in but they got over that( bit of a shame they had to put that in really!), my granddaughter sobbed at the end but she's very sensitive, she's 5 yrs old but her and her brother aged 3 really enjoyed it and I would recommend every child should watch it
on 26 July 2015
As a 30 yo I get back to the book and movie over and over again. A must see for 7-100 year old
girls and women. Loads of important lessons on how to conquer hardship, importance of kindness and friendship. Magical story!
on 7 May 2012
My older sister and I love this movie.

Liam and Liesel had a really strong relationship as father and child.

I just wonder, why did the soldiers just made sure it was John who died and Crewe

was only injured BEFORE informing Randolph. It would had given Sara and her father

more of an impact on their relationship, and Eleanor Bron as Minchin couldn't

have let a 10 year old child work as a servant.
on 8 August 2015
This DVD was ordered as a special gift to follow my reading of the book to my nine year old grand daughter. She loved the story and understood the theme that being a princess about the person you are on the inside and the kindness you show others. I think this idea had a profound effect on the young actress as I have read that, as she has grown up, she has been generous with her considerable inherited wealth. Perhaps she learnt this from reading the book rather than this film which is cluttered with extra plot devices and changes in characters, setting and story line. A finish that echoes Mary Poppins by having the nasty Miss Minchin skipping off to be a chimney sweep suggests that the director did not trust the story to enchant American children. So my grand daughter has not seen this DVD. Instead I searched for and found the 6 episode BBC production that follows Frances Hodgson Burnett's book "A Little Princess". She is enchanted.