Customer reviews

Starship Troopers [DVD] [1998]
Format: DVD|Change

on 9 October 2017
Loved this film when I was younger, still love it now.
on 11 November 2017
True talents
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 15 December 2014
Starship Troopers was originally a book released in 1959 written by the rather famous sci-fi author Robert A. Heinlein. I haven't read it (getting hold of a copy is difficult) so can't compare it with the film but what I can tell you is the 1998 film adaption brilliant and deeper then the cover or action suggest.

The films plot is fairly thin on the surface focusing on Johnny Rico, an athletic star who upon finishing school joins the Troopers to follow the girl of his dreams just before earth is attacked and plunged into war with an alien race known as the Arachnids (or bugs).

The film however is surprisingly more than it seems with earth ruled by an apparent military fascist state where if you want to vote, get university scholarship or even have children you have to do a term of service for the federation. This sub plot, full of political satire is a genuinely interesting theme running through the background of what seems to be a mindless action movie at first glance. Throughout the film it cuts to news reels or advertisements run by the state showing live executions of criminals and trying to persuade people to enlist in the federation to gain citizenship.

If however you are interested in Starship Troopers for the expected action rather than it's more subtle undertones then this film is more than definitely still for you. Every moment from Rico's training in boot camp right upto fleets of ships and marines invading bug planets is fantastic, often bloody and not without the odd bit of dark humour thrown into the mix with it.

The special effects even sixteen years later are still (and I exaggerate not) better than some films that come out today. The ships in space, arachnids running around, particle effects etc are still seriously impressive. I honestly can't believe how good the visuals still are. The soundtrack is equally impressive with it's orchestral military themes during the action down to the school prom music is perfect.

Though I love this film to bits though not all of it is perfect. The acting performances are a little campy in places but it kind of works as the film is rather tongue and cheek anyway. There are some good performances though, most notably from Michael Ironside.

As a blu-Ray though the film has obviously been enhanced to HD the extras haven't, in ether amount or quality. It features a screen test, some trailers etc that last less then maybe twenty minutes and the quality is abysmal, almost like they took it straight from an old VHS.

Essentially though perhaps not the deepest movie, not the best acted or well written but Starship Troopers is a film I have loved for many years and is more than the sum of it's parts.

+ Political satire moments are clever.
+ Action is outstanding.
+ Special effects and soundtrack are hugely impressive still.

- Blu-Ray extras are sorely lacking and of poor quality.

(Edit: I have since read the book as it's now available on kindle and though some names and scenes are the same they are otherwise radically different)
review imagereview imagereview image
on 20 August 2010
Hello,
can anyone say if there is a german language on this dvd version.
I think it must be but I'm not sure. Thanks for the information.
I love this film but I prefer the my mother language (german).
11 Comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 10 April 2005
This pack offers fans real value for money,both Films differ in budget but in both the action comes thick and fast,these films are a must after the Pub on a Saturday night.
on 15 August 2010
This film is rightly considered a classic. It can be watched on two levels. On the surface its a great action film with sweeping battle scenes. On another level there is a lot of ironic, tongue in cheek humour in the film. In a really subtle way the subtext of the film is an allegory about fascism, with nods to the Roman Empire.

If you want to see pretty people shooting up aliens, this film will not disappoint, but there is so much more besides. Its very slightly dated now, but still worth the watch.
on 16 July 2014
Great film
on 3 August 2017
I hope this will save some people some cash. I have this on dvd but cos love the film and wanted blu ray version. Don't bother, as a blu ray fan I can tell you, there is no difference between dvd and uprated on blu ray player to playing this blu ray direct- none. Sold my copy. I give 5 stars because for me the special affects were ahead of their time. Have to admit, this is first time I watched thinking 'hmm looks a little tired and dated'.
on 1 September 2017
As a fan of the movie and after reading the Blu-Ray.com review of it, I hit Buy. Unfortunately, I'd forgotten to check if the apparently amazing extra features made it onto the UK release.

No, it seems.

It looks like the US is getting an Anniversary edition of it shortly, including 4K transfer. I wish I'd waited to see if it'll make it back over here. When they have access to a rich vein of feature material, including two good commentary tracks, it seems lazy to not put them on there.

I'm pondering whether to send it back to Amazon, but it's not their fault I guess. Hngh.
on 25 June 2017